Tethford Fridge accident... any similar experience? (2 Viewers)

Apr 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
PLA 330
It has been quite a stressful time with our new RV.
Everything was going well for three years until the fridge suddenly started acting weird. Initially, we thought it was a general electrical problem. Despite our efforts, we couldn't figure out the issue. Whenever we plugged the RV into 230 volts, it would shut down suddenly after 3 to 4 hours. The fridge would switch to gas while the rest of the RV ran on 12-volt batteries.

The 20-amp security fuse for the fridge kept tripping on the electronic board, so we decided to check the back of the fridge.
What we found was unbelievable: the 25-amp fuse was completely burnt out,

IMG_20240414_200834.jpg

the entire board was fried
IMG_20240414_200341.jpg

We were lucky teh rest of the rv didnt burn down as well...
IMG_20240414_200653.jpg

We're not sure how to approach Thetford about this problem, especially since the warranty has expired.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? How can we prevent it from happening again?
We've opted to order a replacement, but we're worried about it happening again.
We couldnt find teh replacement for the connection cables, nor the top protection plate, any suggestions?

Thank you for your feedback,
Cyril (in france, Toulouse)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Cyril and welcome.
Looks like you were lucky nothing caught fire.
It certainly looks like a high resistance perhaps in the fuse holder causing excessive heat build up.

I have had a fuse discoloured and partially melt ( not on my fridge) I replaced the fuse holder and it’s not happened since.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
It's quite common unfortunately but not normally as bad as yours, Thetford quietly superceded the 3 series board to the later 4 series one with a higher amperage fuse, a better fuse holder and thicker tracks on the PCB.

OP
OP
LosBrutos
Apr 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
PLA 330
Thank you so much for the insight!
That would explain why the replacement element is not the original anymore but a newer model. I hope this will not happen anymore...
any ideas on the wiring cable strings to replace teh damaged ones?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
LosBrutos
Apr 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
PLA 330
Hi Cyril and welcome.
Looks like you were lucky nothing caught fire.
It certainly looks like a high resistance perhaps in the fuse holder causing excessive heat build up.

I have had a fuse discoloured and partially melt ( not on my fridge) I replaced the fuse holder and it’s not happened since.
Boreda Phill, and thanks for your input. Perhaps I should think of adding and extra fuse between...

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I had a similar experience, contact Thetford, they are aware of the problem, God knows why they weren't recalled especially with a safety matter. I got a warranty claim form from them despite being outwith the 3 year warranty. They sent me a new board FOC. yours looks like it might be a newer one though as it's 25 amp. My original had a 20 amp fuse. Have a look at post 16 https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/dometic-3-way-fridge-issue.275970/post-5406512

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back