Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
I purchased a 200w inverter from TEMU that I plan to use for charging drone batteries and maybe other low power devices. The box it arrived in (yesterday) has a label with CE marking on BUT, the actual unit has no CE markings!

Being the suspicious type, I'm wondering whether the product itself should have the CE marking on it?

Anyone.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
How much did you pay for it? I suspect that if there are no CE markings and the other waffle that manufacturers have to confirm to prove they are safe. Can I suggest you photograph it from all angles to send the pics to your local equivalent of ‘weights & measures’ they will both confirm whether it is safe to use and stop imports if it’s not 👍🏻

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I purchased a 200w inverter from TEMU that I plan to use for charging drone batteries and maybe other low power devices. The box it arrived in (yesterday) has a label with CE marking on BUT, the actual unit has no CE markings!

Being the suspicious type, I'm wondering whether the product itself should have the CE marking on it?

Anyone.
What does the packaging mark look like? The unit itself should have a CE marking on it.

1723463977260.png

As Jimbohorlicks says Chinese companies, when challenged, just say it means Chinese Exported and the symbol is not the same.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Do electrical items from China have to be marked with the CE marking to make them legal in the UK? My guess is, that even if it was marked with the CE logo it would likely be 'fake'!

I'm returning it. Most electrical products these days are from Chinese origin whether Aldi, Lidl, Temu or Amazon!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Do electrical items from China have to be marked with the CE marking to make them legal in the UK? My guess is, that even if it was marked with the CE logo it would likely be 'fake'!

I'm returning it. Most electrical products these days are from Chinese origin whether Aldi, Lidl, Temu or Amazon!
Along with returning it I would be reporting it to Health & Safety Exec and Trading Standards.

Maybe take photos of the unit itself before returning so you can include these.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Anyone.
See the other thread about these thing.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

Aldi and Lidl electrical items are usually guaranteed for three years so must be CE marked I would guess to get uk approval. Not sure on Temu or Amazon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+

Yes.

Although as these items are self-certified, you are just relying on the manufacturer doing it properly and conforming to the legislation.

Online marketplace are a big problem for market enforcement, they can't just wander into a retailer and pick an item off the shelf.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
CE is for EU market, and UKCA for UK market. If its legit marking, the manufacturer has to provide a conformity cert for download on their site.
Victron has all his certs available for download for all their devices.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Both the importer, and if appropriate retailer have to ensure that anything they sell is safe. In this case you are buying from a Chinee webeite. Temu is both and has attracted the attention of teh authorities hare and the EU. The latter are laking legal action against them for their business practice and are investigating safety concerns. The UK authorities have expressed concern but are keeping their actions close to their chest.

This say a lot as did a message from Jim in teh early days of Temu that I can't find now. Lots of people reporting problems with returns and getting money back.

Personally they can spend as much as they like on advertising, but I will not touch them with the proverbial bargepole.

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks all for the replies.

The item has been sent back and I've received a full refund. Temu and/or the manufacturer have also removed the item from they're site.

I believe the item on Amazon (link above) is the same product.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I've not bought anything from Temu myself, but I understand that it sells bargain basement Chinese produced stuff, designed to compete with, and undercut Amazon, etc.

However, regarding the lack of CE mark on the Temu inverter product itself - I'd point out that it is the UKCA marking that is now (theoretically) relevant to UK consumers rather than the CE mark. (As an aside, UK government last year said that they would continue to allow CE marking instead of the UKCA mark indefinitely as there was an eventual acceptance that there was not likely to be any meaningful divergence of UK safety standards from European standards, post-Brexit).

The UK government have also extended an exemption from manufacturers and importers having to mark the UKCA mark on the product itself indefinitely, and the UKCA mark can appear on documentation accompanying the product, e.g. in an instruction manual, or an a sticker, instead of actually on the product itself. So the Temu inverter in the OP's post may well be compliant (it may not be either, who knows)! The lack of a UKCA mark or CE mark on the product itself shouldn't be in itself a cause for undue concern.

What is more important (in respect of both the CE mark and UKCA mark safety regimes), is that the marking is backed up by a Declaration of Conformity, and this is further evidenced by a Technical File held by the manufacturer or the importer, or their agent, that can be made available to the enforcement authorities for inspection.

Whether these technical files exist, and whether UK market-surveillance authorities have the resources to check them is a whole other question.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
I've not bought anything from Temu myself, but I understand that it sells bargain basement Chinese produced stuff, designed to compete with, and undercut Amazon, etc.

However, regarding the lack of CE mark on the Temu inverter product itself - I'd point out that it is the UKCA marking that is now (theoretically) relevant to UK consumers rather than the CE mark. (As an aside, UK government last year said that they would continue to allow CE marking instead of the UKCA mark indefinitely as there was an eventual acceptance that there was not likely to be any meaningful divergence of UK safety standards from European standards, post-Brexit).

The UK government have also extended an exemption from manufacturers and importers having to mark the UKCA mark on the product itself indefinitely, and the UKCA mark can appear on documentation accompanying the product, e.g. in an instruction manual, or an a sticker, instead of actually on the product itself. So the Temu inverter in the OP's post may well be compliant (it may not be either, who knows)! The lack of a UKCA mark or CE mark on the product itself shouldn't be in itself a cause for undue concern.

What is more important (in respect of both the CE mark and UKCA mark safety regimes), is that the marking is backed up by a Declaration of Conformity, and this is further evidenced by a Technical File held by the manufacturer or the importer, or their agent, that can be made available to the enforcement authorities for inspection.

Whether these technical files exist, and whether UK market-surveillance authorities have the resources to check them is a whole other question.
Beat me to it!

And I can't find a single thing to quibble with in what you wrote, which annoys me :unsure: :LOL:(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back