Temperature gauge.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift 590PR on Fiat
Exp
Since 2018
Good morning all.
The temperature gauge on our 2006 Ducato goes straight to N as soon as ignition is turned on, even without engine running. I read somewhere, that this was a common fault so I'm not too concerned, just a little annoyed. On a n other forum I read that if I disconnected the negative battery terminal and turned the ignition on this will get rid of any residual current, then re-connect the battery this sometimes works. Any other funsters had this issue before I go searching? Currently in Roses in Spain so I don't have my multi meter etc with me.
Cheers in advance. 🍻

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
You can try the battery trick but the sensor is probably knackered.

Not normally a big job, not sure on that model where it is though.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
What do you mean "it goes to n"? Our 2005 only has numbers on it and the pointer sits just below half scale normally.
if it goes to one end of the scale straight away it could be a poor connection to the sensor which will likely be in the waterway around the thermostat housing.
SInce you are away then just stop after a while and just check that the radiator hoses feel normal temp. Dont risk a severe boil up or you could be in for a head gasket.
Mike

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Most modern vehicles have the temperature gauge damped to such a degree that they only show overheating when it's far too hot to be of much use. When I had a bongo, with an aluminium cylinder head, that couldn't take overheating, I fitted an after market temperature gauge and it showed the temperature going up and down all the time dependent on the load.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift 590PR on Fiat
Exp
Since 2018
N for no
What do you mean "it goes to n"? Our 2005 only has numbers on it and the pointer sits just below half scale normally.
if it goes to one end of the scale straight away it could be a poor connection to the sensor which will likely be in the waterway around the thermostat housing.
SInce you are away then just stop after a while and just check that the radiator hoses feel normal temp. Dont risk a severe boil up or you could be in for a head gasket.
Mike
N for Normal. 1/2 way up.
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Most modern vehicles have the temperature gauge damped to such a degree that they only show overheating when it's far too hot to be of much use. When I had a bongo, with an aluminium cylinder head, that couldn't take overheating, I fitted an after market temperature gauge and it showed the temperature going up and down all the time dependent on the load.
Some modern vehicles are even worse than that. The movement of the needle is entirely artificial. It follows a predetermined ramp up of readings to Normal. And then remains absolutely static. The only time it moves is if the engine is outside the temperature the ECU expects. So it's effectively an idiot light, dressed up to pretend it's a gauge.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back