Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Morning funsters..
We are in a place called Arlon in belgium near to the border with luxembourg..
We came through the tunnel on tuesday afternoon...stopped at bray dunes..then another stop down to Arlon..done 772 miles up to now, after diverting to kettering to see family..Arlon is a lovely town , but the roads in belgium are a disgrace...we are staying behind the fire station..not pretty but massive bays,free electricity and waste dumping..no fresh water...its all free and you can stay 2 nights..
The only problem we have is..
We can't get a signal on our telly..the telly is nothing special , and we don't have a satellite dish..just a rooftop ariel with a booster....any ideas on how to sove this would be appreciated..its great in England and strangely northern France...now it won't work..
We are off to maybe stay in luxembourg then germany...also any sites/places to stay would be good , only 7 weeks left..🤣👍...thanks for any help and info..

OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
you have no chance of receiving UK TV that far into Europe with a normal TV Ariel. you will either need a sat dish or stream TV via smart Tv or amazon fire stick type device. but then you will need data
OK thank you...its just that I can't get anything at all..when I tune it , it tries then comas back with no signal...🫢

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I’m surprised you got a signal anywhere across the channel ,so you did well.
I know it’s too late ,but we use a firestick as TCG suggested. I don’t know whether you could get one sent to an Amazon locker while your away,and use data of your phone to stream.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
OK thank you...its just that I can't get anything at all..when I tune it , it tries then comas back with no signal...🫢
You usually get some channels in the 800's mostly foreign languages but some English if you're lucky, might get some English films with foreign subtitles.
All you can do is check the basics, aerial lead plugs etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
If you have enough data on your UK phone SIM you can use UK TV apps but they gobble up data. Using a local EU SIM will need a VPN to watch.

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Re stops in Luxembourg, we stayed at Schengen but only for an overnight stop.
It was clean and quiet, no services though.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Also a thing to be aware of is that some countries have now moved to a HD mpeg4 system.
So even though you have a digital TV which is great maybe in UK and countries that still do some SD transmissions,
it would be no use in say France which i understand is now all HD..

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I’m surprised you got a signal anywhere across the channel ,so you did well.
I know it’s too late ,but we use a firestick as TCG suggested. I don’t know whether you could get one sent to an Amazon locker while your away,and use data of your phone to stream.
Most of Europe uses DVB2 broadcasts now whereas UK is DVB.
Using a DVB 2 free view receiver will get you local transmissions

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We got up to 50 channels even down in Spain but the closer we got to the channel the more we got when we re tuned in the telly. We managed a couple of foreign channels which showed English language programmes and Columbo was our "Go to" early evening entertainment. Chicago police drama was quite good as well.

We are easily pleased

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We got up to 50 channels even down in Spain but the closer we got to the channel the more we got when we re tuned in the telly. We managed a couple of foreign channels which showed English language programmes and Columbo was our "Go to" early evening entertainment. Chicago police drama was quite good as well.

We are easily pleased
We used to get the paramount film channel in Benidorm, usually in English. Pleased with that 😌

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Thanks everyone...Time to get the scrabble and Lupus beer out...
time to get to know each other better i think Brian ;);)

first thing on your list to buy when you get back is a firestick. That's what we use, along with a good few dvd's and phone contracts with plenty of foreign use data.

strangely never used the aerial on top of the van and watched live TV when on the van.

hope you both have a great trip. (y)(y)

OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
time to get to know each other better i think Brian ;);)

first thing on your list to buy when you get back is a firestick. That's what we use, along with a good few dvd's and phone contracts with plenty of foreign use data.

strangely never used the aerial on top of the van and watched live TV when on the van.

hope you both have a great trip. (y)(y)
Thanks Graham....we've got a firestick but WiFi has been poor or non existent..

OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
We arrived at remich on the banks of the moselle at 12.20.....couldn't get in the one near the marina..so went a mile up the road and got in there..I don't know if you can park overnight on the main road , which is wide ,but we needed to dump stuff and get water after 2 days without filling up..this is a nice site , with electric and water on the pitch...

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp

Ah - at least you’ll be sorted when a recent signal comes along.

The dvd’s come in handy in the situation you are in. A thought for the future. We have a couple of box sets and not course the favourite films for both of us so an action night of a chick flick night 😜

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
We arrived at remich on the banks of the moselle at 12.20.....couldn't get in the one near the marina..so went a mile up the road and got in there..I don't know if you can park overnight on the main road , which is wide ,but we needed to dump stuff and get water after 2 days without filling up..this is a nice site , with electric and water on the pitch...

Sounds like you’re getting the hang of it already. Great to hear 👍👍

OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Ah - at least you’ll be sorted when a recent signal comes along.

The dvd’s come in handy in the situation you are in. A thought for the future. We have a couple of box sets and not course the favourite films for both of us so an action night of a chick flick night 😜
I got into trouble for the last chicken flick I watched..😜🤫

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
Will be asking about the weather in a few days.
We get the ferry from Newcastle on Thursday. Arriving in Ijmuiden on Friday and heading down to Berchtesgaden on the bikes. Well depending on the weather 🤞🤞

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back