Teleco Flat Sat Dish No Longer Locks Onto Astra 2 Satellite (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057 EBL
Hi,
My automatic satellite receiver was working fine earlier this year and had no problem locking onto the Astra 2 satellite ((28.2E).
However, last week whilst away in my MH the dish continually rotated and was unable to find the satellite.
I then set the control panel to Hotbird, and the dish locked onto that satellite without a problem.
That indicates that the problem is not with my satellite dish or receiver, but with the actual satellite.
I have heard that something changed with the Astra satellite and that I may have to update my receiver's software.
Having checked Teleco's website I can see that there are several updates released by Teleco in July this year.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which software download I should be using, and instructions as to how to do this using a laptop?
Many thanks in anticipation.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Set the dish back to Astra 2 and it will probably lock on to the satelle (for some unexplained reason, I found it works if the TV is on!)

I have had to do it (ie lock on to Hotbird and then back to Astra2) a couple of times. I know not why.

I have certainly not needed to change the software.

OP
OP
H
Mar 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057 EBL
Set the dish back to Astra 2 and it will probably lock on to the satelle (for some unexplained reason, I found it works if the TV is on!)

I have had to do it (ie lock on to Hotbird and then back to Astra2) a couple of times. I know not why.

I have certainly not needed to change the software.
I've tried doing just that several times over the past 3 weeks at different locations, but no luck.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Our Hymer (Alphatronics) TV has an option which it says presets the satellite dish. (can't remember precise wordiing).

I tried that as well.

OP
OP
H
Mar 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057 EBL
Hi,
My automatic satellite receiver was working fine earlier this year and had no problem locking onto the Astra 2 satellite ((28.2E).
However, last week whilst away in my MH the dish continually rotated and was unable to find the satellite.
I then set the control panel to Hotbird, and the dish locked onto that satellite without a problem.
That indicates that the problem is not with my satellite dish or receiver, but with the actual satellite.
I have heard that something changed with the Astra satellite and that I may have to update my receiver's software.
Having checked Teleco's website I can see that there are several updates released by Teleco in July this year.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which software download I should be using, and instructions as to how to do this using a laptop?
A quick update to my original post: I have downloaded the Teleco app to my iPhone and then selected the 'automatic antenna' icon.
When I do this, it attempts to connect to my satellite receiver and brings up the message 'FlatSat (0191) whilst showing a circular rotating progress bar.
However, after approx. 20 seconds it then shows 'Error Connection - Timeout'.
It is obviously picking up the receiver via bluetooth because if I move far enough away and do the same thing, the message is 'Searching for Automatic Antenna' with the circular progress bar, before showing 'Scanning time out, no antenna found'.
Clearly the app seems to find my receiver when it's in bluetooth range, but then times out before connecting - aarrghh!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
A quick update to my original post: I have downloaded the Teleco app to my iPhone and then selected the 'automatic antenna' icon.
When I do this, it attempts to connect to my satellite receiver and brings up the message 'FlatSat (0191) whilst showing a circular rotating progress bar.
It is obviously picking up the receiver via bluetooth because if I move far enough away and do the same thing, the message is 'Searching for Automatic Antenna' with the circular progress bar, before showing 'Scanning time out, no antenna found'.
Clearly the app seems to find my receiver when it's in bluetooth range, but then times out before connecting - aarrghh!
How olds your Telco sat and what model is it ?

Feb 9, 2011
Lytham
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I had the same issue, I deleted the receiver from the Bluetooth list on my phone & then added it again. It then allowed me to update the receiver, it then took around 20mins for the dish to lock to Astra 2 but now it locks on straight away.

OP
OP
H
Mar 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057 EBL
I had the same issue, I deleted the receiver from the Bluetooth list on my phone & then added it again. It then allowed me to update the receiver, it then took around 20mins for the dish to lock to Astra 2 but now it locks on straight away.
My problem is that although the app seems to locate my receiver, it never actually manages to connect to it.
Therefore it doesn't show up in the Bluetooth list on my iPhone.
I've contacted Scan-Térieur Ltd and they've told me which software I need to download via a laptop. Looks like that's the way I'll have to go unfortunately.
The app method looked to be much easier!

OP
OP
H
Mar 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057 EBL
How olds your Telco sat and what model is it ?
It came factory fitted to my 2020 Dethleffs 7057. The MH is a special edition made for Lowdhams and included several extras such as the satellite dish.

OP
OP
H
Mar 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057 EBL
It came factory fitted to my 2020 Dethleffs 7057. The MH is a special edition made for Lowdhams and included several extras such as the satellite dish.
I believe that the Teleco satellite is the Telesat model.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Depends on the model to wether or not it is Bluetooth capable unless you have used the app previously to operate it.

OP
OP
H
Mar 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057 EBL
Depends on the model to wether or not it is Bluetooth capable unless you have used the app previously to operate it.
That's the thing. I'd never tried it using the teleco app until today, so I don't know for sure if it is Bluetooth enabled.
However, like I said earlier, the app is recognising something via Bluetooth - it just won't connect to it.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
That's the thing. I'd never tried it using the teleco app until today, so I don't know for sure if it is Bluetooth enabled.
However, like I said earlier, the app is recognising something via Bluetooth - it just won't connect to it.
Sounds like it's not Bluetooth you will have to go here:

https://www.telecogroup.com/en/support

Sign up for a account then download your model firmware update. The download is a .exe file so will run on a windows computer and it tells you the instructions as you go along in the program, you will need a usb cable to the back of your sat unit to the computer.

Feb 9, 2011
Lytham
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
My problem is that although the app seems to locate my receiver, it never actually manages to connect to it.
Therefore it doesn't show up in the Bluetooth list on my iPhone.
I've contacted Scan-Térieur Ltd and they've told me which software I need to download via a laptop. Looks like that's the way I'll have to go unfortunately.
The app method looked to be much easier!
If you look in the manual there is a way to delete any previously paired bluetooth devices from the receiver, it can only store a few & it may be full. Once the list is cleared reopen the app & it should connect allowing you to install the update.

OP
OP
H
Mar 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057 EBL
If you look in the manual there is a way to delete any previously paired bluetooth devices from the receiver, it can only store a few & it may be full. Once the list is cleared reopen the app & it should connect allowing you to install the update.

Feb 9, 2011
Lytham
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Screenshot_20240913_175839_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
Screenshot_20240913_175823_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

OP
OP
H
Mar 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057 EBL
Unfortunately when I bought the MH last year the only instruction manual missing was anything to do with the satellite unit.
I've got loads of manuals for everything but!
My control unit doesn't have a pairing button, so it could be that it isn't actually Bluetooth compatible.
I definitely don't have a Bluetooth button on the satellite control unit that is in the MH.
My MH is a 2020 so maybe Teleco set-up fitted isn't Bluetooth enabled?
I'm going to have a go with my laptop and see if that fixes things.

Feb 9, 2011
Lytham
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Unfortunately when I bought the MH last year the only instruction manual missing was anything to do with the satellite unit.
I've got loads of manuals for everything but!
My control unit doesn't have a pairing button, so it could be that it isn't actually Bluetooth compatible.
I definitely don't have a Bluetooth button on the satellite control unit that is in the MH.
My MH is a 2020 so maybe Teleco set-up fitted isn't Bluetooth enabled?
I'm going to have a go with my laptop and see if that fixes things.
You should be able to download a manual for your specific model from their website. Hope you get it sorted 👍

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Hi,
YOu may find that the frequency the dish is trying to "lock onto" may not be available any more.
Many frequencies have / are are changing transmission parameters, moving from DVBS to DVBS2 transmission standards.
This allows the frequencies to carry much more data, so more channels can be used on a frequency...saving the broadcasters money.
So if your system is looking a frequency that is no longer transmitting, or changed its transmission parameters, then it will not lock on...presubably it locked onto Hotbird, as that particular frequency is still transmitting.
So you may need to update the frequency your system is using to "lock on".

Changes are happening at a fast pace at the moment. Not only the changes from DVBS to DVBS2, but lots of channels changes as channels move to HD only. Only yesterday, ITV have announced that all remaining ITV1 regions and ITV2 will cease satellite transmission in SD next month...and channel 4 have been very active shuffling their SD channels around inthe past month...

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
The answer to this , and it’s now worked on 3 teleco systems mine included, is to set the Sat running to Astra2 and leave it spinning for up to 45 mins. The Sat will lock on , mine took 11 mins and thereafter will work normally. No software updates etc just let it spin and do its own thing.

OP
OP
H
Mar 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057 EBL
YOu may find that the frequency the dish is trying to "lock onto" may not be available any more.
Many frequencies have / are are changing transmission parameters, moving from DVBS to DVBS2 transmission standards.
This allows the frequencies to carry much more data, so more channels can be used on a frequency...saving the broadcasters money.
So if your system is looking a frequency that is no longer transmitting, or changed its transmission parameters, then it will not lock on...presubably it locked onto Hotbird, as that particular frequency is still transmitting.

Changes are happening at a fast pace at the moment. Not only the changes from DVBS to DVBS2, but lots of channels changes as channels move to HD only. Only yesterday, ITV have announced that all remaining ITV1 regions and ITV2 will cease satellite transmission in SD next month...and channel 4 have been very active shuffling their SD channels around inthe past month...

Thanks for that info. I've had a reply back from Teleco that informs me that I do indeed need to update my receiver's software.
They've sent me a link to their website and told me which update to install.
I shall be having a go tomorrow and let the forum know the results.

OP
OP
H
Mar 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057 EBL
The answer to this , and it’s now worked on 3 teleco systems mine included, is to set the Sat running to Astra2 and leave it spinning for up to 45 mins. The Sat will lock on , mine took 11 mins and thereafter will work normally. No software updates etc just let it spin and do its own thing.
Interesting, I've left it spinning for about 5 minutes, but then shut it down with the view that if it hasn't locked on after 5 minutes it's never going to do so.
I personally wouldn't leave it spinning for 45 minutes due to concerns over wear and tear or overheating the motor - but that's just my personal opinion as a Mechanical Engineer.
Teleco have just informed me that there have been changes to the frequency of the Astra 2 satellite, and that I do need to install their latest software (July 2024) in order for the system to lock on.
I'm planning on doing that tomorrow and see if that cures my problem.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

Mine has just taken around 7 minutes and is now scanning all programmes. I will update this post when it's finished scanning, with the result, but it's looking good ... Or maybe not .... Have just deleted all channels to start again ... AND it's up and running.... Thanks for the advice ..!!

When you next reboot your dish, I assume it should find it as per normal, rather than the up to 45mins spin ?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Mine has just taken around 7 minutes and is now scanning all programmes. I will update this post when it's finished scanning, with the result, but it's looking good ... Or maybe not .... Have just deleted all channels to start again ... AND it's up and running.... Thanks for the advice ..!!

When you next reboot your dish, I assume it should find it as per normal, rather than the up to 45mins spin ?
Yes it works as normal. Mine been fine now for over a month. The advice came from a motorhome satellite engineer and as an electrical engineer myself no harm running an electric motor for 45 minutes.

OP
OP
H
Mar 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057 EBL
Hi,
SORTED!!!
Just to let you all know how I managed to resolve my problem, and hope it is of use to others:
I tried the suggestions of leaving the dish spinning for up to 45 minutes and as I suspected it didn't work at all (It may have worked for Mister B, but not for me).
It seems that the Astra 2 satellite has had it's transmission frequency changed, and therefore as Teleco told me via email, you must update the software on your receiver in order for the dish to lock on to the new frequency.
I located the Teleco receiver box behind a panel above my fridge (removing the panel was a puzzle because there are no visible screws or fasteners).
In the end I decided that the panel must be a push fit and made a pair of pullers fashioned from a couple of welding rods that I could insert into the narrow panel gap, and twist 90 degrees before pulling - see photo).
Using these the panel came away easily.
One the panel was removed, the receiver unit was accessible and after unplugging the various connections I was able to remove it for a proper look at it (see photos).
A previous post from 2019 had stated that a USB printer cable would be required in order to download the new software.
However, none of the spare plug connectors on the receiver unit looked remotely like a USB printer cable plug socket (see photos).
I then noticed that the satellite receiver unit actually had a button marked 'Bluetooth' (see photo).
I therefore re-fitted the unit into the MH, powered up and pressed the Bluetooth button, which commenced flashing.
I then fired up the Teleco App on my phone, selected 'Automatic Antenna' and hey presto it connected via Bluetooth.
It then informed me that a receiver update was necessary and proceeded to download it.
All very easy with the app.
I then selected Astra 2 on my MH satellite control panel, and within a minute the dish had locked on and I was able to re-tune the TV and obtain a ridiculous number of TV channels.
As a bonus of downloading the app I can now control the satellite unit and dish from my phone - result!!
I've attached several photos of my satellite receiver unit and control panel so that this may assist others having similar issues to those I had.

IMG_6743.JPEG

IMG_6744.JPEG

IMG_6745.JPEG

IMG_6746.JPEG

IMG_6747.JPEG

IMG_6748.JPEG

IMG_6750.JPEG

IMG_6751.JPEG

IMG_6752.JPEG

IMG_6753.JPEG

IMG_6757.JPEG

IMG_6759.PNG

IMG_6760.PNG

IMG_6761.PNG

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I can confirm that after moving the motorhome from a local site to back home, I tested the satellite dish AND it found Astra 28.2 very quickly without having to go through the process of spinning etc again. Thanks drago35uk

OP
OP
H
Mar 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057 EBL
I can confirm that after moving the motorhome from a local site to back home, I tested the satellite dish AND it found Astra 28.2 very quickly without having to go through the process of spinning etc again. Thanks drago35uk
Ah well, obviously you and drago35uk have got a very special Teleco system compared to mine and lots of others! :unsure:.
Strange that Teleco don't suggest the option of leaving the dish spinning for 45 minutes?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Ah well, obviously you and drago35uk have got a very special Teleco system compared to mine and lots of others! :unsure:.
Strange that Teleco don't suggest the option of leaving the dish spinning for 45 minutes?
Not sure about that ?? Mines an 85cm auto skew ....?? I think it's about 7 years old if that helps?

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Nothing special but that’s now five I know of that this worked for. You carry on with Teleco and software updates but stop trying to belittle somebody trying to help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back