Taking food into the EU from UK via Le Shuttle

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit
Does anyone have any advice about taking their own food with them when they travel to France? Should our fridge be empty and then we fill up at the supermarche in Calais? Or will it be ok to take supplies from the UK? Any advice welcome.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Legally the rules say you cannot take any meat or dairy and limited amounts of fish. Many will tell you tgey take everything and have no problems even if checked. I have never had them check the fridge even if coming in the van. They are looking for people generally.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
They aren't the slightest bit interested in what's in your fridge, even if they come inside for an immigrant check. There was another post about this a few months ago and nobody has ever had their fridge checked.

Upvote 0

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
We've never been checked either, but then again we don't take much. Getting supplies abroad is all part of the holiday for us!!

Upvote 0

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Only used it once (last April) and they came on board, checked any person sized lockers / loo but didn't open the fridge or cupboards.

Having said that we didn't have any contraband and had a ball when we got to the Carrefour 😉👍

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Only used it once (last April) and they came on board, checked any person sized lockers / loo but didn't open the fridge or cupboards.

Having said that we didn't have any contraband and had a ball when we got to the Carrefour 😉👍
I packed chicken breasts and bacon, because the first is more expensive in France, and the second is not sold there!

Apart from that we also shop when we get there!

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I always take my fridge full of what I want, never been checked yet, they can have it if they are desperate.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
For the ferry routes.
Pack 4 x 1.5L fizzy pop bottles filled with water and frozen for 24hrs

It will keep the fridge cold for even the longest ferry crossings.

The only fridge food we take is whatever is in our fridge at home the day we go.
(and a pint of milk)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
For the ferry routes.
Pack 4 x 1.5L fizzy pop bottles filled with water and frozen for 24hrs

It will keep the fridge cold for even the longest ferry crossings.

The only fridge food we take is whatever is in our fridge at home the day we go.
(and a pint of milk)
Thats a good tip about the freezing of water bottles to stick in the freezer, however my good lady stuffs the freezer compartment packed solid with food so no room.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
As already said, there are some restricted items and the chances of being stopped and having your fridge contents checked is extremely low.

Be prepared for a low chance that your bacon and brie might be confiscated.

That's about as bad as it's going to get, so I wouldn't worry excessively about it.

If your bacon gets confiscated, get yourself to the nearest butcher and buy a piece of belly pork. Then go down to the supermarket and buy a tupperware (or other resealable non-metallic) container it will fit in and a large pot of salt.

Put a generous layer of salt at the bottom of the container, pop the pig in, and add another generous lot of salt on top and pop it in the fridge.

Turn it once or twice a day and pour off any excess liquid and top the salt up.

After three days you have bacon. Rinse the excess salt off, pat dry, slice, fry, enjoy.

There are more complex recipes but as travel bacon goes that'll do the job. You can also chuck in some sugar or honey if you want - you can go up to 50% sugar to salt and you can throw in pepper or bay leaves or juniper berries or rosemary or... well, you get the picture.

Anyway, I seem to have gone off on a tangent again. :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Does anyone have any advice about taking their own food with them when they travel to France? Should our fridge be empty and then we fill up at the supermarche in Calais? Or will it be ok to take supplies from the UK? Any advice welcome.
Fridge full,cupboards full got stopped for a check they was not in the least interested.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I packed chicken breasts and bacon, because the first is more expensive in France, and the second is not sold there!

Apart from that we also shop when we get there!
We buy bacon all the time in French supermarkets, you can get smoked and unsmoked. It's cut quite thin but otherwise fine. :)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We take a little milk and butter and the first night’s meal ‘just in case’ but our very first stop is a hypermarket … so the ‘just in case’ meal becomes a disappointment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We buy bacon all the time in French supermarkets, you can get smoked and unsmoked. It's cut quite thin but otherwise fine. :)
I haven’t seen that in any supermarket John! Is it in those chillers in the middle of the food halls?

We’ll be travelling back up from Beni in March, so I’ll look out for it. 👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back