Taking dogs to Greece. (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
Some friends of ours have just purchased a yacht which is moored / berthed / parked (or whatever you do with a yacht) in Nidri.
We are hatching a plan to travel down there next year via Italy (5 weeks allocated), then 2 weeks sailing, then back through Croatia etc (another 5 weeks).
We have 2 dogs, both of which accompanied us on our first 10 week journey around France / Spain /Portugal and would like to take them on this trip. Thing is, I have read some rather disturbing reports about the poisoning of dogs in Greece - usually before the "season" starts, to get rid of the strays before the holiday makers arrive.
Anyone on here taken there dogs (I know mousy did in 2019 and is currently down that way at present and they don't appear to have had any problems) and had any problems?

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
We adopted a dog from Turkey and drive back there every year Via Greece.
Our dog is a Retriever cross and will eat anything, including fish bones and crab shells!
I think, if you are worried you need to keep the dog on a lead and don’t let it roam.
Farmers or people who believe the dogs are causing a problem will poison them.
I do believe, I have no proof, that some countries cull strays. We do need to remember that not all countries treat their animals as we do! Different culture.
Having said that we have never had a problem, people love our dog, they can distinguish pets from street animals.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I believe a forum member 'Offagain' has a boat in Greece and takes their dog might be worth looking up their posts as I am sure they have posted information about their travels.
there may be more info here

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I can tell you that Mousy ‘s Millie has thoroughly enjoyed her tour of The Pelleponese, and while we were with them there were no problems at all.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, we have had no problems with Millie in Greece, other than her chasing all the cats! If worried about poisoning I’d keep dogs on lead and watch what they scarf. There are plenty of stray dogs around but they all seem very laid back and ignore us mostly.
I think your trip sounds fantastic and you’ll have a lovely time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
garry55
Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
Thanks Mousy - I have had a few re-assuring messages from people in the yachting fraternity who say that it is only a problem on the mainland. As we will be sailing around the islands, it may not be such an issue. I guess pest control is a damn sight easier on a small island :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back