Swift waste of £96400.00 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Been camping next to a pair of caravaners now in their 80's for the last couple of days.

A few years back (2000's?) they bought a second hand 10 year old Swift motorhome for £22,500 from a Dealer complete with habitation certificate.
Had a two week holiday in it in the summer.
It was fine until the last day when the heavens opened.

When they got home they found puddles on the floor, wet clothing and bedding, and they realised they had 'a bit of a leak'
Got a mate with a damp meter to check it. He was literally squeezing water out of the walls.

The Dealer was not interested.
They sold it three months later, for £2,000

At the time a round the world cruise, first class all the way, was about £20k.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Atlantic Caravans latest YT video has a few interesting facts on Swift. I suspect caravans and Motorhomes very similar.

OP
OP
our poppy llll
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
So my sweet heart said “before we sell up and stop motorhoming let’s look at a Hymer” arghhhh, it’s £188,000.. so of we Trott as fast as our trotters could take us, to Hymer world at Stafford..
to look at a Hymer BMLI 790. Island bed drop down bed, air con, full leather, Auto, all the extras.

Yep it’s lovely.

So tell me people is it worth it. I’m off into the hymer’s owners site to see if any has ever gone back in for repair, recalls warranty dropping to bit complaints. I’ll have to renew Mohofun just to make sure i’m not throwing away near £190k!

Thoughts good and bad welcome! is a Mercedes Hymer of that model a good thing to go for, brand new.
Pssst we will get £88.600 part ex. Cost me £94,600 and £5k hydrarulics. So losing £11k

170 bhp, on 2 litre diesel, 9 gear Auto!. I’m sure it could do with a 2.2 (or higher) litre diesel

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
So my sweet heart said “before we sell up and stop motorhoming let’s look at a Hymer” arghhhh, it’s £188,000.. so of we Trott as fast as our trotters could take us, to Hymer world at Stafford..
to look at a Hymer BMLI 790. Island bed drop down bed, air con, full leather, Auto, all the extras.

Yep it’s lovely.

So tell me people is it worth it. I’m off into the hymer’s owners site to see if any has ever gone back in for repair, recalls warranty dropping to bit complaints. I’ll have to renew Mohofun just to make sure i’m not throwing away near £190k!

Thoughts good and bad welcome! is a Mercedes Hymer of that model a good thing to go for, brand new.
Pssst we will get £88.600 part ex. Cost me £94,600 and £5k hydrarulics. So losing £11k

170 bhp, on 2 litre diesel, 9 gear Auto!. I’m sure it could do with a 2.2 (or higher) litre diesel
We have just bought a Bml t780, coachbuilt with single beds, the build seems solid, but we saved about £40K by not buying through travel world, they are very expensive, and their px value was a joke, we found a very high spec cancelled order at a good discount elsewhere.
Yes they are expensive but you will love it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
our poppy llll
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
We have just bought a Bml t780, coachbuilt with single beds, the build seems solid, but we saved about £40K by not buying through travel world, they are very expensive, and their px value was a joke, we found a very high spec cancelled order at a good discount elsewhere.
Where did you buy yours from? And when it comes to servicing and habitations where do you take it?

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
If you are already sick of the service received from your dealer then the fact that you didn’t entertain buying from TW might have been a good decision( many other dealers with poor reputation in after sales are available) it’s absolutely key to buy from the right outfit👍

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
Out of interest, what are general thoughts on autotrail? We may go back to motorhome in a few months or so and we looked with no great intentions at a Delaware and it seemed very well put together.. or should we have looked closer. We do like the British vans design, table goes, big sofas🤷‍♂️
Note like so may brands these days they are owned by the same company TRIGANO GROUP Own:
Different price points but presuming they deliberatly poorly build the cheaper brand so all should be similar build quality if out of different materials/spec.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Note like so may brands these days they are owned by the same company TRIGANO GROUP Own:
Different price points but presuming they deliberatly poorly build the cheaper brand so all should be similar build quality if out of different materials/spec.
The materials and construction methods make a big difference. A plant using modern materials and computerised cutting is likely to be turning out more consistently solid products than one that doesn’t, no matter who the holding company is.

Reactions: DT
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The materials and construction methods make a big difference. A plant using modern materials and computerised cutting is likely to be turning out more consistently solid products than one that doesn’t, no matter who the holding company is.
No matter how accurately the material is cut the most critical operation is assembly for which a skilled and motivated workforce is essential. I suspect a lot of assembly is performed by minimally-trained pieceworkers brought in as required.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The sooner computers are designed to cut and assemble motorhome body shells and furniture, the better.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The sooner computers are designed to cut and assemble motorhome body shells and furniture, the better.
The technology for cutting is already available. It just depends on whether the manufacturer is prepared to invest in it and the customer prepared to pay the higher prices that go with it. This video helped me to choose my new van.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Be warned re Hymer, the firm. Had mine since 2017. Hab and damp check every year on time, ish. 6 yr damp warranty. 5 yrs 11months, damp found in garage. Ok, not stressed as warranty should cover it.
Short answer, no.
Supplying dealer took the money, but did not inform Hymer that they had done the work. They stopped being Hymer dealers 4 yes into my ownership. Directed to another on the South coast, who carried out the damp and treatment jobs.
On finding damp, Hymer did not want to know as they were not informed of the work, therefore no warranty. Hymer do not talk to members of the public. Hymer do not talk to ex dealers. Hymer do not accept previous work carried out from previous dealers from current dealers.
Sharks all of them. Just pick your variety of shark carefully.
At least with Swift you can talk to the firm.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
Where did you buy yours from? And when it comes to servicing and habitations where do you take it?
We bought from 3a's in Carmarthen, some of their reviews on Google are not brilliant, but so far we cannot fault them.
Its a 600 mile round trip for us, so not sure what to do about servicing, might build it into a holiday as its a nice area.
If you speak to them ask for Alyson, she really seems to care.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The technology for cutting is already available. It just depends on whether the manufacturer is prepared to invest in it and the customer prepared to pay the higher prices that go with it. This video helped me to choose my new van.

I doubt that there are any mainstream manufacturers that don't use CNC cutting and machining for their furniture and body panels, the likes of Vario and Volkner that produce just a handful of vans per year are still hand built and that will include proper carpenters for the interior but it doesn't come cheap, for volume production CNC is much cheaper than hand built.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Out of interest, what are general thoughts on autotrail? We may go back to motorhome in a few months or so and we looked with no great intentions at a Delaware and it seemed very well put together.. or should we have looked closer. We do like the British vans design, table goes, big sofas🤷‍♂️

We bought an Autotrail Comanche brand new in 2018, kept it 3 years and tbh it was a beauty. Very little went wrong and certainly nothing major, door hinge adjustment, led strip light connections needed soldering, but thats about it, the Fiat side of it never faultered once.

I CANNOT say the same about our present european built motorhome, infact totally the opposite :(

and it was close to being double the price :mad::mad:

Last edited:
OP
OP
our poppy llll
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Yup, I have filled the water to 25%,
1, got hot water… whoo hoo.
2, got heating on Electric tried it to 25c. Whoo hoo
3, got heating on gad, tried it to 25c. Whoo hoo
4, water pump works, both grey and clean. Whoo hoo
5, Front roof light window works. Whoo hoo

So all that’s left is a,b,c..
a, passenger window blind
b, warping on habitation door Perspex glass
c, Bolt cover of roof light window.

Let’s all pray, oh dear God of motorhomers, give us this day our fully repaired van, see to it we stay in Motorhome fun and Lord keep them beers cold.. amen..
Freeking pump is leaking.
When we got home on Tuesday, I got a email.. the parts for your Aldi repair are here, book in from August. So I went out and checked the heating and hot water, you know the repairs they did in April, everything is fine.
Whoo hoo. I put 25% cold water in on Wednesday to do the check!.. so yesterday I thought, I’ll drain it.. went in the van, 0% fresh water???.. went to look at the pump drip drip drip…
So the pump repair is not a pump repair! It’s a Bodge job….
Sent email to three people Service@ and the two people I deal with in the service dept.
No reply, 2 hours later 2nd request.
No reply, 2 further hours later 3rd request with Without prejudice save as to costs.
Along with a email to the sales office saying we will not be interested in their Hymer at £193,100.
We sent a copy of all emails to the MD Steve.sharp@lowdhams.com.
Got a phone call from the service manager within 5 mins, booked the van in for all outstanding repairs.
Refunded the pump fitting costs of £201.75.
Some times going to the top works. They don’t like distractions.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
When we got home on Tuesday, I got a email.. the parts for your Aldi repair are here, book in from August. So I went out and checked the heating and hot water, you know the repairs they did in April, everything is fine.
Whoo hoo. I put 25% cold water in on Wednesday to do the check!.. so yesterday I thought, I’ll drain it.. went in the van, 0% fresh water???.. went to look at the pump drip drip drip…
Sent email to three people Service@ and the two people I deal with in the service dept.
No reply, 2 further hours later 3rd request with Without prejudice save as to costs.
Along with a email to the sales office saying we will not be interested in their Hymer at £193,100.
Got a phone call from the service manager within 5 mins, booked the van in for all outstanding repairs.

Where has the circa 25 litres of water gone when dripping?

OP
OP
our poppy llll
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Where has the circa 25 litres of water gone when dripping?
On the floor, it ran down the drive over 18 hours, it is bigger than a Drip. Drip. Drip.
More like Da de da da de da da dam-busters.. whooosh, get the fishing rods out..

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
On the floor, it ran down the drive over 18 hours, it is bigger than a Drip. Drip. Drip.
More like Da de da da de da da dam-busters.. whooosh, get the fishing rods out..
What’s the long term plan then? Fix all and get rid? Hope you find a solution soon, you really don’t need that kind of stress with a leisure vehicle, maybe a nice Carthago? They have a few high regarded dealers with excellent level of service👍

OP
OP
our poppy llll
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
What’s the long term plan then? Fix all and get rid? Hope you find a solution soon, you really don’t need that kind of stress with a leisure vehicle, maybe a nice Carthago? They have a few high regarded dealers with excellent level of service👍
My options are:
Drive it to beachyhead, this is my favourite how lovely to see it fly and explode on the rocks… mm I could be in trouble doing that.
Sell it back to Lowdhams.
Put it in part ex against a German build! Hymer.

Once all is repaired next week, we will make a decision on what to do..

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
My options are:
Drive it to beachyhead, this is my favourite how lovely to see it fly and explode on the rocks… mm I could be in trouble doing that.
Sell it back to Lowdhams.

Once all is repaired next week, we will make a decision on what to do..
For option 1 you need a you tube channel, you would get a lot of subscribers lol, otherwise option 3 sounds nice, not tempted by Carthago offerings then?

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010

Seems to me it’s as much a problem with the dealer as well as manufacturer. :unsure:

OP
OP
our poppy llll
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
For option 1 you need a you tube channel, you would get a lot of subscribers lol, otherwise option 3 sounds nice, not tempted by Carthago offerings then?
I have not seen one yet, pretty says we should have a good look around.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
It may be worth searching for the German forum for Hymer
There are a lot more owners that have experienced the model you are considering and they are just as verbal if there are issues.
We have a Globecar which has been very good however from the Possl forum it seems that different models come from two factories with ones build quality better than the other.
Needless to say I didn't find this out till post purchase but I would have still bought the van.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
W
We bought from 3a's in Carmarthen, some of their reviews on Google are not brilliant, but so far we cannot fault them.
Its a 600 mile round trip for us, so not sure what to do about servicing, might build it into a holiday as its a nice area.
If you speak to them ask for Alyson, she really seems to care.
wouldn't touch 3A’s with a barge pole. We bought a brand new Swift Kontiki from them…. On pick up day, we noted the bathroom door was damaged and needed replacing. We took the van and told 6 weeks wait for a replacement door… I rang them after 6 weeks and they booked it in for 4 weeks later.. I also advised them of 8 other issues/defects. They said no problem, they would do them all at the same time. We dropped the van off for the day as agreed. Went back at end of day…bathroom door not replaced - apparently the replacement door was in even worse condition than the original.. 3 out of the 8 issues were fixed.
Spoke with the manager who said another 6 weeks for the door and they would pick up the remaining 5 issues… I rang them after 6 weeks and sent emails…. No response… by this time another major issue arose… roof leaking like a sieve behind the drivers seat, damaging wall and floor. I chased 3A’s multiple times. I contacted Swift who said my contract was with 3A’s and not their problem. I then went legal… I gave 3A’s 14 days to respond, they did not. I then formally wrote to 3A’s to reject the Moho and demand full refund. No response. Swift eventually engaged and tried to get 3A’s to respond… nothing.

I then issued legal proceedings against 3A’s and Swift. Before in went to court, Swift took the Moho back to their factory for 6 weeks. Their remedial team did a great job and even picked up 5 other issues ( including faulty wiring and new cooker). Guy who headed up the remedial teams ( a 30 year swift veteran) openly admitted his embarrassment at the quality of the products being shipped off the production line.
Swift gave me a hire car and overnight accommodation so that I could spend the day going over all the repairs etc., including high pressure hose drench testing. Swift provided compensation for loss of use, apology etc…they also provided a new 10 year warranty.

3A’s never engaged and couldn’t of cared less.

We keep the Moho for 2 months and got rid of it as we had lost all confidence in it.

OP
OP
our poppy llll
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
W

wouldn't touch 3A’s with a barge pole. We bought a brand new Swift Kontiki from them…. On pick up day, we noted the bathroom door was damaged and needed replacing. We took the van and told 6 weeks wait for a replacement door… I rang them after 6 weeks and they booked it in for 4 weeks later.. I also advised them of 8 other issues/defects. They said no problem, they would do them all at the same time. We dropped the van off for the day as agreed. Went back at end of day…bathroom door not replaced - apparently the replacement door was in even worse condition than the original.. 3 out of the 8 issues were fixed.
Spoke with the manager who said another 6 weeks for the door and they would pick up the remaining 5 issues… I rang them after 6 weeks and sent emails…. No response… by this time another major issue arose… roof leaking like a sieve behind the drivers seat, damaging wall and floor. I chased 3A’s multiple times. I contacted Swift who said my contract was with 3A’s and not their problem. I then went legal… I gave 3A’s 14 days to respond, they did not. I then formally wrote to 3A’s to reject the Moho and demand full refund. No response. Swift eventually engaged and tried to get 3A’s to respond… nothing.

I then issued legal proceedings against 3A’s and Swift. Before in went to court, Swift took the Moho back to their factory for 6 weeks. Their remedial team did a great job and even picked up 5 other issues ( including faulty wiring and new cooker). Guy who headed up the remedial teams ( a 30 year swift veteran) openly admitted his embarrassment at the quality of the products being shipped off the production line.
Swift gave me a hire car and overnight accommodation so that I could spend the day going over all the repairs etc., including high pressure hose drench testing. Swift provided compensation for loss of use, apology etc…they also provided a new 10 year warranty.

3A’s never engaged and couldn’t of cared less.

We keep the Moho for 2 months and got rid of it as we had lost all confidence in it.
What burner do you have? Any good?

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018

A very good friend who has worked on Caravans and Motorhomes all his working life and has ran his own mobile motorhome technician business for the last 18 years told me the other day

and i’ll quote him

“10 years ago i’d advise anyone to buy a Hymer”

“Now, I would touch one with a barge pole, new owners, built to be light and they drop apart”

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Did you know that /

Swifts are very vulnerable to wet weather, as a heavy storm may force them down on to the ground, from which they are unable to get airborne again. So they have evolved an extraordinary adaptation to avoid bad weather. Swift chicks can enter a torpid state and go without food for several days.

A group of swifts is called a 'scream',

Swifts shot whilst on the wing!

Does this sound like your van? :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back