Swift Rio on Fiat ducato..axle question! (1 Viewer)

Pusscat

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Devon UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,
this may sound a bit of a daft question so please excuse my ignorance.

We have a swift Rio 320 on a Fiat ducato. I keep coming across articles about Alko axles and the need for some to be serviced / greased…how do I know if that applies to my van?

we had a few days up north with family last year and I went down with the dreaded Covid…we came back and I lay on the rear bed all the way back as I just was out out it. What I can remember was how bloody hard and bumpy the ride was in the back…

I suppose what I’m asking is anyone know if my Rio needs any regular rear axle servicing such as greasing and if these models have any meaning suspension present?!

thanks in advance.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
An Alko chassis is joined to the Fiat one just behind the cab and is galvanised, it has torsion bar suspension rather than leaf springs.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Some motorhomes, normally shorter ones, just use the standard Fiat van chassis. They retain leaf springs at the rear.
Other vans have the chassis from the cab backwards replaced with one from Al-ko. I think these have a torsion bar suspension? They need occasional greasing.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I believe the 320 is on a fiat chassis not the alko, so has standard leaf springs and shocks.
You can improve the ride quality by fitting semi air suspension to the rear axle. DIY costs are around £300 to £400 and an only a couple of hours work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back