Swelled lip seal

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
My toilet seal has seemed to have swelled and I can’t get it to close. Has anyone else experienced this or am I doing something wrong?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
If the cassette is empty! Spray or rub some olive oil on it 😎

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None
just age or perhaps wrong chemicals or lubricant has been used...

replace the lip seal .. easy job, and only lubricate with silicone spray

this is advice form Thetford

Silicone-based formula is safe on toilets and holding tank seals (petroleum based lubricants cause swelling and degradation of rubber seals)

Never use Vaseline.. it is a petroleum based product

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Has the seal come adrift? That might make it bulge. I would replace the seal, there are Youtube videos on how to do this and it looks fairly easy.

Edit.
ps WD40 and similar are known to damage plastics and rubber so avoid these and only use approved lubricants.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There is a recess running all the way round the seal on some models. This can get full of "crap" pushing the top part upwards.

Clean it out thoroughly and you may not need to replace.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
leggings
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
Has the seal come adrift? That might make it bulge. I would replace the seal, there are Youtube videos on how to do this and it looks fairly easy.

Edit.
ps WD40 and similar are known to damage plastics and rubber so avoid these and only use approved lubricants.
Thanks everyone for your advice. I have taken the seal out but it still won’t close. Pausim may have the answer as I use WD40 to lubricate thinking it was silicone based. Will buy a new seal and use Thetfords lubricant.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks everyone for your advice. I have taken the seal out but it still won’t close. Pausim may have the answer as I use WD40 to lubricate thinking it was silicone based. Will buy a new seal and use Thetfords lubricant.
I just replaced the seal in our Thetford C260 with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B48X6YNX?tag=mhf04-21

If that's the model you've got I can confirm it's a good fit (always a worry as a compatible).

Useful video on how to do it here.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
No need to waste money on expensive Thetford products. I use either a silicone spray or better still I have a large tin of silicone grease suitable for all plumbing seals. Will last for years, if not a life time if used for your loo only.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back