Suzuki Burgman 650 do you tow one ? (1 Viewer)

Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Hi do any of you tow one of these bikes ? I looked at the 400 but the 650 wins hands down. I have bought a easylifter trailer to tow it on the back. Not purchasred one yet but not far off it. TIA

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Can you cope with the weight on back axle?
Sorry haven't towed anything bigger than my Varadero 125 twin.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Phew a 600lb beast, bought mine after a Total Knee Replacement, it's just one crazy machine.

Suzuki Burg.jpg

Reactions: f6c

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
I had a HydraTrail easylifter for my Xmax 300. It coped ok, but anything heavier I am not so sure. From memory, the HT had a max weight capacity of 250kg. If I was going to use a scooter/motorcycle with the motorhome again, I would use a lighter machine and a chassis mounted rack. I am fortunate that I have more than enough weight allowance on my gross and rear axle weights.

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I had a HydraTrail easylifter for my Xmax 300. It coped ok, but anything heavier I am not so sure. From memory, the HT had a max weight capacity of 250kg. If I was going to use a scooter/motorcycle with the motorhome again, I would use a lighter machine and a chassis mounted rack. I am fortunate that I have more than enough weight allowance on my gross and rear axle weights.
Hi our MH is 4500kg so we have capacity. We are 2 up on the bike so nice to see what you guys use to get around once on site. Cheers

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Phew a 600lb beast, bought mine after a Total Knee Replacement, it's just one crazy machine.

View attachment 728571
Nice bike, I have looked at no end over the past 2 weeks I was gunning for the 400 burgman but now I have tried the 650 well if i can carry it on the back no issue then why not, you only get one chance at this life so live the dream :cool: But seriously its your guys points of view that im after especially those of you who tow large bikes. Cheers

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Towed my Bergman 400 K3 on a home built bike trailer.....no problem other than one of the four securing straps coming lose on the M62.
Great to hear. I was just checking this evening if it will fit on the back of our MH. The trailer is tranverse it will overhang 10mm each side but once you lock the steering that should take care of the overhang. I was hoping to find someone on here who has the same bike. Cheers

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Hi after speaking to the inventor this week he did say it would handle 500kg no problem. I will take this up with him on Monday. Cheers

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We bought a HT for our Peugeot Metropolis, thought it was a great invention.

Sadly however, it could not cope with the weight of it (Kerb weight 258kg) as the weight was not evenly spread, heavier front end. It twisted and buckled the tow ball twice, in the end Antony was good enough to give us a full refund after the 2nd time.

We now use a traditional trailer with tailgate I can ride up onto with 2 chocks to secure the trike.

If we get a lighter bike in the future, would revert back to the HT if it were light enough

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
A friend of ours travelled with his in a box trailer, it added weight but kept the bike clean and out of sight plus he had loads of room for all the crap you absolutely need to carry 😂

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer

Sadly however, it could not cope with the weight of it (Kerb weight 258kg) as the weight was not evenly spread, heavier front end. It twisted and buckled the tow ball twice, in the end Antony was good enough to give us a full refund after the 2nd time.

We now use a traditional trailer with tailgate I can ride up onto with 2 chocks to secure the trike.

If we get a lighter bike in the future, would revert back to the HT if it were light enough
Thats invaluable info what trailer are you now using ? I will take this up with Anthony on Monday. Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer

Hi what trailer did you end up with ? The ht looks great as you dont have to worry about reversing as it follows you. Cheers

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Nice bike, I have looked at no end over the past 2 weeks I was gunning for the 400 burgman but now I have tried the 650 well if i can carry it on the back no issue then why not, you only get one chance at this life so live the dream :cool: But seriously its your guys points of view that im after especially those of you who tow large bikes. Cheers
I would think at 600lb the Burgman would be far too heavy to be mounted on the back of a motorhome, it is a big old bike and not the easiest of machines to move around but once underway it's bulk just melts away as most of the weight is below your knees.
With heated grips, electric screen & mirrors it even has a heated seat, plenty of storage, you can get two full face helmets under the seat. It really is an excellent touring machine with a huge following in the US.
Never understood why Suzuki dropped it from their range.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
According to the specs the 650 burgman weighs 238kg (about the same as my bmw 1200gs!) so quite a lump, but certainly not 300kg!

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Sorry only just seen this photo. How do you get on with reversing ? cheers
Slow and steady, practice and it becomes easier - if in doubt, it takes less than a minute to unhook, push the trailer to then move the van.

I was probably as concerned as you are regarding reversing as the van is larger than the trailer, but honestly, I just take it easy and unhook if I feel I need to.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Slow and steady, practice and it becomes easier - if in doubt, it takes less than a minute to unhook, push the trailer to then move the van.

I was probably as concerned as you are regarding reversing as the van is larger than the trailer, but honestly, I just take it easy and unhook if I feel I need to.
Ditto.👍

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Hi after speaking to the inventor this week he did say it would handle 500kg no problem. I will take this up with him on Monday. Cheers
I've mentioned this before but I will repeat it to save you having to find it. The Hydratrail would lift my MP3 when I had the Frankia with a short overhang. When we bought the Dethleffs with a long overhang it wouldn't. Instead it was trying to lift the back of the motorhome. Anthony wasn't interested in taking it back. There are others (Jaws ) who have also had problems with the Hydratrail twisting the towbar. The other draw back with the Hydratrail is that you can't unhook the trailer from the m/home without taking the bike off first which can be a nuisance if you are having an overnight stop on a pitch which is too short for the rig. Plus if you want an early start you can't load the bike up the night before so that you just hook up and go. You have to start loading and strapping down in the morning.
I currently use an Armitage sideloading trailer which is great but you have to be very careful when reversing. A reversing camera is a must and if it starts to jack-knife stop, go forward slightly to straighten up and then go again. It can be done with practice.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Unless it has had a complete redesign I would call BS.
Both Richard ( Scotties ) and myself bought one for BMW GS's.. weight about 240kG
My towbar ( 3" square steel tube ) was twisted, both of us experienced other issues, and I personally found it a major faff loading and unloading the thing
It is basically a good design but it has draw backs and to me any thing more than 175kG is really pushing it

Billiefarrah

Free Member
Nov 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 1984
Hi do any of you tow one of these bikes ? I looked at the 400 but the 650 wins hands down. I have bought a easylifter trailer to tow it on the back. Not purchasred one yet but not far off it. TIA
We had an accident with that trailer on the back . Some kind person drove into us . It’s a nightmare to get off . Not like a normal trailer just in hook it . We hated the thing . Sometimes the wheels won’t turn when you reverse . Also a grey area with insurance

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
We run a 200 Bergman on a unbraked transverse trailer weight 163kg not had a problem.

Sep 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
RV
We have one for sale, a 650 Executive. We used to have a Winnebago and took it with us to get around. Great bike. Down scaled to campervan and 2 Ebikes🤣. Let me know if you'd like details of it.

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Thank you everyone for your views and stories it’s been amazing the responses to this thread keep safe out there happy camping 🤩

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back