Suggest an eBike for Siân (1 Viewer)

Dec 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
I had Fiamma door mounted racks on 2 different PVC's for years without issue. I changed to towball mounted when my back started giving me gyp lifting the bikes up. In 2017 in Portugal a french guy came over to my van to ask for the details of my Atera Strada tilting rack.He showed me his new Fiat PVC, with only one lightweight road bike on the rear door rack.The door had peeled on one side and was basically a scrapper. If you are unlucky to hit a pothole or a sleeping policeman at a fair clip,the downward forces on the door and hinges are immense.Or you might be lucky as I was.

Dec 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
The bikes will probably weigh about 45 kg but I don’t know how much the scooter weighs but at the moment it’s pulled right out so he can get to the doors so when it’s pushed back in it might be okay. Looks like a Maxi chassis as it’s got 16 inch wheels.
Ah ok,if it's pushed back in that would mitigate things somewhat but still think your pushing it with a scoot on as well.Have seen the same, a few times.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I’ll second what DangerMousy has said and recommend the Specialized Vado SL Step Through frame. Sub 18kg including the battery.
Very reliable and great support if things do go wrong.
As I said on another thread do not buy anything other than a reputable mainstream bike brand. It’ll end in tears.
Happy to give more detailed info if needed.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I would certainly look at Ribble and also Orbea (Gain if drop bar, maybe Vibe if flat bar preferred)

Canyon also do an “ON” version ie electric of their Grail gravel bike, worth a look.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you're willing to spend the £££s then a Specialized Vado SL is the way to go. I have the low step, hubby the normal one..both very happy with them. The batteries and motors are smaller than our old bikes, but the lightness of the bikes means you don't notice (even on steep hills).
New model due in April with 50nm motor.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
The bike is so light really use the assist

Reactions: Jim
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
The bike is so light really use the assist

Unfortunately they stopped making bikes a few months back.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is that an SL or the full fat Vado? The Vado is much more powerful, but also much, much heavier than the SL version.
The SL version the fat one you can get now with 50/70 or 90nm but weigh in at 29kg.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
The SL version the fat one you can get now with 50/70 or 90nm but weigh in at 29kg.
Interesting - sounds like they're finally rolling out the 1.2 motor that's already available on the Levo SL (y)
Not that I need an upgrade......just looking (for now ;))

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I have the new SL1.2 motor in my bike and it’s great. Quieter, more powerful and slightly more efficient.
Whether you need it in a hybrid style bike is another thing. Some cracking deals on the SL1.1 currently!

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
With regards to Ribble, I’d be checking if you can get spares when needed; not a case of if needed as you will need them.
When we’ve tried to source them and contacted Ribble direct on behalf of customers they couldn’t tell us what parts they’d used!
I strongly recommend buying from bricks & mortar. As I said previously “buy cheap, buy twice”. You’ll appreciate having a relationship with your local bike shop when you need help.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In Cambrils we bought Siân a Trek District+ 1 and she’s loving it. She stays in Eco and keeps up with me no problem at all. I’ve only beaten her once on a quick jump up a short steep hill. But she just stays with me easily and importantly she enjoys the ride.

Problem two. We went over the weight on our door hanging bike carrier but only by 3.5 kg. Which is 10% over. We’ve done 170 miles down to ‎La Vila Joiosa with no problem. But I want to get a tow bar mounted carrier in Spain just in case and deffo before we head home on British pot holes. Any suggestions?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
But I want to get a tow bar mounted carrier in Spain just in case and deffo before we head home on British pot holes. Any suggestions?
I removed the Fiamma door mounted rack, and now use the Thule Velo Compact tow ball mounted rack and cant fault it ..

carries two pedal or e-biles

IMG_1715.jpegIMG_1716.jpeg

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Thule tow bar racks probably won't allow the rear barn doors to open more than a few inches, certainly not fully. People have more success with the Altera racks that slide out.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thule tow bar racks probably won't allow the rear barn doors to open more than a few inches, certainly not fully.
correct.. but we don't need them open until we are on site .. and only then to access the toilet cassette to empty it .. the back of our van is a toilet, wash and shower room..

but nice open in summer having a poo al fresco 😉

do you have a link to the Altera sliding rack ?

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
correct.. but we don't need them open until we are on site .. and only then to access the toilet cassette to empty it .. the back of our van is a toilet, wash and shower room..

This bloke Alf Resco has some dubious habits.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My beer fridge is just behind the backdoor. So will need a rack that slides to allow the doors to open.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
In Cambrils we bought Siân a Trek District+ 1 and she’s loving it. She stays in Eco and keeps up with me no problem at all. I’ve only beaten her once on a quick jump up a short steep hill. But she just stays with me easily and importantly she enjoys the ride.

Problem two. We went over the weight on our door hanging bike carrier but only by 3.5 kg. Which is 10% over. We’ve done 170 miles down to ‎La Vila Joiosa with no problem. But I want to get a tow bar mounted carrier in Spain just in case and deffo before we head home on British pot holes. Any suggestions?
Thule is the best and widely available all over the world 👍

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Thule tow bar racks probably won't allow the rear barn doors to open more than a few inches, certainly not fully. People have more success with the Altera racks that slide out.
My Thule cantilevers away with the bikes attached👍

Reactions: Jim
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal

do you have a link to the Altera sliding rack ?
We have this one https://www.atera.de/en/genio-pro-advanced.html
It folds neatly for storage and tilts with bikes on away from the rear van doors. It doesn't quite allow both doors to fully swing open on the Ducato PVC but allows easy access to the rear of the van when bikes are tilted stepping in and then opening both doors 3/4's open to access the rear of the van.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thule easy fold XC. Takes two e-bikes, folds down and when not in use packs up like a suitcase for easy storage. Yes it’s expensive but a great piece of kit and spares if you need them available.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Can’t help with the bike Jim, but I do like Cambrils.(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have this one https://www.atera.de/en/genio-pro-advanced.html
It folds neatly for storage and tilts with bikes on away from the rear van doors. It doesn't quite allow both doors to fully swing open on the Ducato PVC but allows easy access to the rear of the van when bikes are tilted stepping in and then opening both doors 3/4's open to access the rear of the van.
The Thule velo also tilts back with bikes on as you describe and folds for storage

Feb 16, 2024
Funster No
MH
Touring
You could try a bafang kit. The complete kit (without battery) has a shipping weight of 6.44kg. Bear in mind that includes stuff that you already have in the donor bike (cranks, etc), so lets call it 5.5KG. That leaves you able get a bike that weighs around 10kg. You should be able to get a good donor bike in UK for under £200 and bafang kit will be about £400, plus battery another £300. You only put the battery on the bike when you are riding so you do not need to think about the weight of the battery. This will allow you to build your wife a very nice electric bike with excellent range and depending which motor you select you get from 15mph to 30mph. An off the shelf e-bike will not have similar performance or range and will probably be around 22kg, so heavier.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The Fau Vert shop is about 3 miles away from where you are at the moment Jim and is at Carrefour at La Cala Finistrat shops. They sell Thule bike racks as I was looking at them last week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back