Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
So, I hae a wee problem, as we say up here.

I want to tow a trailer behind the new m/h with two bikes to the value of about 17 grand.

So far so easy, or so I thought.

Comfort tell me that the cover I have taken out with them will insure a trailer to the tune of 3 grand, but not the contents.

My comprehensive bike insurance company provider tells me that they will not cover my bikes whilst being towed on the trailer.

Can I find a company that will insure the bikes whilst on the trailer? Can I f...!

I have raised this same question in the m/c forum with little result, so I thought I would cast my net a little wider. Sevral folks seem to just wing it and carry their bike sans insurance! I am not prepared to do that to my babies!

Anybody got any fresh ideas? I'm all out, I have worn out my key pad on this conundrum.

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Cheers

I've sent flux an email. I wait...

I will be looking at brokers - none where I stay.

Thomson brothers? Never heard of them, except in Tintin, but I shall investigate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Cheers

I've sent flux an email. I wait...

I will be looking at brokers - none where I stay.

Thomson brothers? Never heard of them, except in Tintin, but I shall investigate.

I have known Peter Thomson for many years, 20 years or more as a customer. If he or his small team cannot do it, they will tell you or be honest and say how much it will cost.

Real old school brokers out to make a living and sadly, like many, may not be around much longer with the dot.com.

Trevor

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Sounds just what I'm looking for. I like old school. I shall chase them up tomorrow. Ta

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Also Try A Plan Insurance Services, they have independent brokerages all over the place down here, but build a relationship with an independent broker and the location of his/her office is irrelevant.
Good luck, I can see a similar problem occurring with any vehicle on a trailer, in that the vehicle can be covered but not whilst on the trailer.
Seems like it should be a simple task, obviously more complex, but maybe all the folks on here that tow toads on trailers, will, or should know more.
Lets see?
Les

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I towed my Harley around for years, never thought about the insurance. I assumed it was covered but did not check. Lucky never needed to claim but probably was not insured. Could have been expensive!

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Mick, cheers. I know the thread as I was the one who initiated it! I didn't really get an positive solution so I thought I would repost in the insurance thread, wider coverage, more punters, better chance of a solution. Some good feedback already, so now I have some new avenues to explore today, but Good-Gawd-Almighty, who'd of thunk it would be so convoluted? It's not exactly a difficult field? I would have thought there would have been myriad options and providers...

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
I towed my Harley around for years, never thought about the insurance. I assumed it was covered but did not check. Lucky never needed to claim but probably was not insured. Could have been expensive!

That's the worry mate. I could tow the bike around but knowing life's twisted sense of humour it would just be a matter of time before she got her giggle stick out. Before you know it your bike is bouncing down the road beside you, untethered, smashes into the oncoming people carrier full of a Christian family returning from pilgrimage and decapitated the triplets! Your picking up the tab of several million quid! All for the want of fifty quid/year. Long odds, perhaps; hyperbolic scenario for sure but you get ma drift. I don't like uncertainty.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
How about Bennets , they sponsor Motorcycle racing , so lots of very valuable bikes getting towed about .
The other way may be a "goods in transit" type insurance ?

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Thomson Brothers? No help at all.

I have considered GIT insurance, but its really for couriers and the like and can be quite pricey

The hunt continues.

Stay tuned for the next thrilling instalment! Oh the excitement....

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
That's the worry mate. I could tow the bike around but knowing life's twisted sense of humour it would just be a matter of time before she got her giggle stick out. Before you know it your bike is bouncing down the road beside you, untethered, smashes into the oncoming people carrier full of a Christian family returning from pilgrimage and decapitated the triplets! Your picking up the tab of several million quid! All for the want of fifty quid/year. Long odds, perhaps; hyperbolic scenario for sure but you get ma drift. I don't like uncertainty.
I didn't give it a thought, I assumed the Harley was covered by it's insurance and the trailer by the MO HO insurance. But now I know better

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Are you all asking the right questions
Is it not simple Goods In Transit cover you require ?

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Adrian Flux, no use at all. When I explained to the Lassie what I wanted I think she actually heard, " I would like to insure my UFO for a flight to pluto…"!

It would seem that you cant' have two insurance policies on a m/v running concurrently. Computer says No!

It is an interesting grey area. I think many folks n here will need to re examine what they are doing whether it be towing a bike, car, jetski or horse! If you get into a pickle its going to cost you, if it gets nicked you will get bugger all back, if it bursts into flames - not that unusual - you will just have to watch it burn.

It looks like I may have to wait till next year and find a company that does it all off the bat. Bummer.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Are your 'babies' old enough to be classified as "classic"?
You cannot be the first person to be transporting something of value on a trailer and many classic car owners use trailers to cart their vehicles between shows.

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Goods in transit, even for occasional use privately would have been about £200+ p/a! I'd be spending more on insurance than on fuel for a w/e away. This is getting frustrating...

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
No, not classics unfortunately. The wife rides a new Triumph bonneville Speedmaster and I have a KTM 990 ADV 2006. The kids have a wee dirt bike as well, an electric Kuberg, but I can fit that in the garage, until they outgrow it.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Goods in transit, even for occasional use privately would have been about £200+ p/a! I'd be spending more on insurance than on fuel for a w/e away. This is getting frustrating...
Ah sorry did'nt realise you were looking for Fully comp all inclusive Free insurance AKA the Holy Grail :Eeek:
If all your kit is not worth protecting for £200 why bother at all :doh:

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
No disrespect intended but this is nothing to worry about for you.:sneaky:

This is a thread about towing a Motorcycle.:rofl:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would have thought if you put £17k worth of stuff in a trailer which probably makes it easier to nick then tow it around and want cover if it come loose/causes an accident/catches fire £200 might not be bad

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Its not a matter of what the bikes are worth; they are worth what they are worth.

Its the cost per mile to purchase the insurance that makes it uneconomical. Whilst the £200 might be a mere bagatelle I'm not in the habit of buying stuff if it's not justifiable or uneconomic. The bikes may only be on the trailer for a few weekends out of every year, or maybe a week or so during the holidays. they may only do a few miles whilst out and about, probably with two small kids on the back, which was the plan, but if it costs me £50 to insure them every time I put them on a trailer that is hard to justify.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back