LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The sun in Bavaria is obviously stronger than the UK, but more than likely it was the budget MH we bought with the attendant quality...
My mate who lives a few miles from me has had problems with the Graphics on his Carthago, like I said polishing & waxing I think helps a lot.

Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Hey all, what do you do with your MH for various storage lengths?

1 Week?
1 month?
3 months?

Ours is stored in the drive, plugged in but as we're new to it, what about when situations arise where we can't use it for a month, or over Winter if longer - 3 months? Axle stands? Unplugged with occasional plug ins? Etc.
We store ours over the winter uncovered (4 months) so that the solar panel keeps the batteries ticking over, drain the water tank, boiler and pipes (taps left slightly open), use a moisture trap (notwithstanding limitations), all cupboards and drawers open for airflow, mattress slightly raised for airflow and roof lights without darkness shutter across to allow any sun to do some limited warming. We then drive it for a minimum of 30 mins every 3-4 weeks to get the engine and tyre temperature up. Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Hi OP, this was a thing we considered when we bought our old bus in 2018. We had nowhere to put it other than the garden under trees. We left it there parked in same place each winter for the next 4 years, location SE England, inland 480ft altitude, plenty of rain and frosts. Van readied in October and left until March. Usual prep, tyres pumped up, water and boiler drained down, good clean, ehu plugged in and switched on for half a day every week, soft furnishings out.

I tried a different approach every year.

Winter 1 - we just left it without cover. All windows closed apart from one for a little ventilation. All internal cupboards and doors closed. Result - garden on roof, in fact garden everywhere, mould in bathroom around ceiling and top of door. Bed smelled musty.

Winter 2 - I bought a breathable cover. Same internal prep. Result - clean externals, much worse mould in bathroom and also in cupboards, around roof light and under single glazed passenger window. Had to throw mattress cover away.

Winter 3 - left off the breathable cover. Fitted a security camera. Left all internal doors and cupboards open. Left as many external windows as I dared a little open. Result - garden everywhere externally, internally better, though mattress still a bit smelly.

Winter 4 - Put the breathable cover back on, left all windows a little open, all internal doors open, all internal cupboards open. Brought mattress inside house with all other soft furnishings. Result - outside OK, inside OK.

Ventilation is key.

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
The issues are:
1. Stuff growing on the outside -
lichen, moss and other green things. If you use a cover you run the risk of it chafing the paint. It will also cover solar panels. I think if you could be sure it was well strapped to tighten any loose bits, I might consider it, (but I want the solar free). A sod to use too. Otherwise leave it uncovered and prep it for winter. I've used Fenwicks Over Winter Prep and it did seem to do the job. Was even not too dirty after the 2.5 years Covid lockup.

2. Stuff growing on the inside -
Mould. Probably the most difficult thing to prevent and get rid of. Last winter I used the moisture thing above, but as others have said there is still some venting even with everything closed (although I've almost closed all mine in). In theory if the inside temperature is the same as outside, you shouldn't have an issue as they're equal. Problem is the inside may heat up if sun comes in the windows (windscreen) causing condensation. I favour blinds closed most of the way. It may also work better if the windscreen is on the northern side (will prevent UV damage too).

3. Mice -
Don't leave any food in no matter what it's contained in (you might get away with it in glass or tins, but if there is food smell on the outside they'll be attracted to it and chew labels ). I elft too much and had one bad infestation with loads of mouse poo and some chewed wires. Takes ages to clean up and very difficult. I read that laundry dryer sheets keep them away. They really smell strongly. I used just one last winter and no mice, but that may have been there were none where I stored. You could set traps. I've seen some covers for tyres (in the US) that prevent mice climbing in.

4. Batteries -
If you EHU it you run the risk of overcharging, so you'd want it on a timer or only plug it in some of the time. I have 200 watts of solar for the main leisure battery and it kept that and the starter battery good (Votronics Duo Digital controller) through 2.5 years of lockup during Covid stored in the middle of England.

Aug 9, 2018
Funster No
Obviously not the cheapest option but the MH wasn't cheap and we wanted to look after it as best we could so we have it in undercover storage on EHU whenever we aren't using it. It stays clean and dry so no damp issues

OP
OP
H
Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Obviously not the cheapest option but the MH wasn't cheap and we wanted to look after it as best we could so we have it in undercover storage on EHU whenever we aren't using it. It stays clean and dry so no damp issues
I think if it sticks we will pursue planning and see about an oak covered carport at the front.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back