Storing MH (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Hey all, what do you do with your MH for various storage lengths?

1 Week?
1 month?
3 months?

Ours is stored in the drive, plugged in but as we're new to it, what about when situations arise where we can't use it for a month, or over Winter if longer - 3 months? Axle stands? Unplugged with occasional plug ins? Etc.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Mines left all year round in a storage compound, not under cover and out in the elements. I use it regularly but parked up in between. I don’t leave any windows open or heating on, but do leave a large moisture trap out, which takes care of the moisture.

Even if I left it on a drive, I wouldn’t ever leave any heating on.

IMG_1238.jpeg
IMG_1237.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H
Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Mines left all year round in a storage compound, not under cover and out in the elements. I use it regularly but parked up in between. I don’t leave any windows open or heating on, but do leave a large moisture trap out, which takes care of the moisture.

I had considered some of the disposable moisture trap things if these are what you mean? "Internal dehumidifiers". The heating isn't on, I leave it plugged in to keep the batteries charged for 1 and 2nd if we decide were off away on the Friday I can quickly bang the fridge on...

I had considered putting a 500w oil filled radiator in for the colder months?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Moisture traps & dehumidifiers are a waste of time as the van will have permanent ventilation so you will be trying to dry out the atmosphere, never heat ours when not in use, warm air holds more moisture.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Ours is parked on our drive, plugged into EHU via a timer switch which gives it a two hour charge three times a week. If we are at home for more than a week we drain down all the water but never bother with axle stands.

Having said that we do use our motorhome all year round so it is seldom stationary for long.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I had considered some of the disposable moisture trap things if these are what you mean? "Internal dehumidifiers". The heating isn't on, I leave it plugged in to keep the batteries charged for 1 and 2nd if we decide were off away on the Friday I can quickly bang the fridge on...

I’ve never been a fan of the oil filled radiators, but during extreme cold weather, having one on a low setting could make a lot of difference. My future advice would be to still drain down the water systems fully in the winter/colder months, so that you’re not caught out in any way.

Feel a bit jealous that you’ve got it by the house, my SWMBO would never see me if I had mine that close 😅👍🏻

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

Someone on the Forum, I can’t remember who, pointed out that Motorhomes on Dealer’s forecourts are never heated.

We have owned m/hs for 40+ years and the only time we heat them is for a couple of hours before starting out in freezing weather, and that’s to keep us warm.🙂

OP
OP
H
Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
I’ve never been a fan of the oil filled radiators, but during extreme cold weather, having one on a low setting could make a lot of difference. My future advice would be to still drain down the water systems fully in the winter/colder months, so that you’re not caught out in any way.

Feel a bit jealous that you’ve got it by the house, my SWMBO would never see me if I had mine that close 😅👍🏻
It's very tight but was a condition of us getting one!

I drain the water off when we get back so it's empty, but I didn't run the pump off thinking about it so I'll have to add that to the roster!

Noted on the dehumidifier stuff, makes sense actually as it's not an air tight box.

20230423_134201.jpg
20230423_134150.jpg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

I drain the water off when we get back so it's empty, but I didn't run the pump off thinking about it so I'll have to add that to the roster!

Noted on the dehumidifier stuff, makes sense actually as it's not an air tight box.

View attachment 750096View attachment 750097
Also, don’t forget to disconnect the shower hose…..cost me a new shower mixer tap for failing to do that one year 🙄🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

I know people say not to bother with the dehumidifier, but if you saw the amount of water it catches, I’d say it’s well worth it for me.

OP
OP
H
Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Ours is in outside storage and during winter we don't use it but may just take it for a run every couple of months.
Do you have a cover, either roof only or full?

I'm conscious that ours is likely older and so not as well insulated/protected as the newer models!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992

View attachment 750076View attachment 750077
Don’t leave one of those anywhere it can get knocked over..that blue dye is truly indelible on soft furnishings and surfaces (don’t ask me how I know)!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Dozens of threads on this if you use the 'Search' facility. However............
Mine's on EHU permanently in my drive (for the past 11 years). Never heated. Roof light open a tad. Never had any damp issues. I open doors and windows for a couple of hours on fine days.
If unused I take it for a 20 or 25 mile drive (picnic, fish and chips on the quay or a brew at the coast) every 2 or 3 weeks.
Download the guide for winter storage in the Resources section which has tips applicable to shorter terms when unused.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Do you have a cover, either roof only or full?

I'm conscious that ours is likely older and so not as well insulated/protected as the newer models!
Noooo, I’d say stay well away from covers, they cause so much damage to the corners and edges, best just leave it outside like they do at the dealers. Horrible things to store, especially if they are wet and yuk.

I did toy with the same thoughts when I first started out, but luckily I saw firsthand the damage they cause with the slow rippling effect in the wind. My friends was so smooth and bare at all the corners and along the edges.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
my answers to a thread from 2021
Kept Outside.
On a slight slope so water drains off. But leaves black streaks
left in gear handbrake off, wheels chocked and tyres covered.
fridge door open, blinds drawn. Open blinds every blue moon
cushions away from walls,
No heaters
Bed lowered a bit for ventilation
vents cracked open

alarm on, security devices fitted and locked
scuttle checked and cleaned keep leaves and debris from blocking drain holes
Drain water unless going away next week
Clean tanks once a year, drAin unblocker , puraclean(clean water tank) (Now use Acetic acid, lot cheaper)
When we had Pb batteries solar left to charge Votronics mppt controllers. LB & SB trickle charge.
Now lithium so have an issolator on negative terminal and leave one controller 220w to trickle charge SB.
Only use ehu to run fridge over Christmas ( extra storage)
(Have BT battery monitors so if not enough solar christmas also a good time to use chargers for either battery as required)
Every 3 months check on board food clothes to be ready to leave in 10 minutes.
Take out for 30 min blast each month, exercise the oil.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
First 7 years kept outside with no cover, we are south facing so sun all year round in that direction, usual no heating, fridge/freezer door open and all soft furnishings removed and in house, water drained off etc and on a battery saver.
Result: Totally destroyed graphics on the MH, Matt finish to the paint work and headlights faded and cracked, garden on the roof, after graphics removal, complete cut and polish then new headlights.
We then covered it with a breathable cover for the next 2 winters, the result was a quick wash off and polish and drive away..Madame does not like covers but after seeing the difference/damage/cost she is very happy with the cover situation.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Maybe that would appeal to her? 😆

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
First 7 years kept outside with no cover, we are south facing so sun all year round in that direction
We are right on the south coast one side of the van faces south, current van 6 years old, no problems with the graphics. The van does get polished then waxed twice a year and I think that makes a difference.

OP
OP
H
Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Our decals are somewhat peeled anyway. We've asked a local signage company if they can re-create them as close to original as possible and the OH's work has contacts for a reasonably price re-spray and clear coating.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
Ours is sat on our driveway, plugged into the mains, we have hard wired in a Trickle Charger rather than use the onboard charger, Eddies Battery Master looks after both batteries.
We have a "Maypole" breathable allover cover which in the last 10 yrs hasn't marked the bodywork at all, because of the flat roof we placed two of those Space Hoppers on the roof under the cover which gives an Apex tent like shape so rain doesn't collect on the cover.
Over winter we open all the cupboards and fridge, water system is drained with drain valves and taps left open, all soft furnishings are removed.
Touch wood we have never had any problems.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Space Hoppers
And how many times did you try to use them for their intended purpose and fall off? 😆

Jun 5, 2020
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft
Exp
Since 2020

View attachment 750096View attachment 750097
We used to park ours on our drive, which has quite a cross fall, right by the porch so that the top of the van leant towards it. Beware when you load up that the lean doesn’t increase as the springs compress - don’t ask me why!!!!!!

OP
OP
H
Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
We used to park ours on our drive, which has quite a cross fall, right by the porch so that the top of the van leant towards it. Beware when you load up that the lean doesn’t increase as the springs compress - don’t ask me why!!!!!!
Oh dear, if ours leaned a couple of inches we would have some impromptu gutter installed.

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Only thing I would add , would be leave a mouse trap or two (baited ), not poison as you don’t want it dying in van somewhere it can’t be retrieved.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
We are right on the south coast one side of the van faces south, current van 6 years old, no problems with the graphics. The van does get polished then waxed twice a year and I think that makes a difference.
The sun in Bavaria is obviously stronger than the UK, but more than likely it was the budget MH we bought with the attendant quality...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back