Dec 2, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Sunliving S60SP
Exp
Just completed our First Overnighter
Good Morning
We are off with friends on a 3 week trip from Santander to St Malo in May.
Has any body got any good recommendations for places to stay and visit along the way?
We plan to hug the coast up-to Ile de Re and then start to go inland on our way to St Malo
Any advice would be great

Thanks
John

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Many nice stops but 2 worth calling at are Nantes (use the campincarpark stop at petit port as the trams outside into the town) go and visit the mechanical elephant and one of our favourites Fougere's.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Lots and lots. Too many to list really, just get yourself one of the apps and pick what you want to see.

Personal favourites, Bilbao Aire, Zarautz, San Sebastien, Biarritz Capbreton, Biscarosse Plage, Le Grand Crohot

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Good Morning
Has any body got any good recommendations for places to stay and visit along the way?
We plan to hug the coast up-to Ile de Re and then start to go inland on our way to St Malo

Thanks
John
Curious that youve chosen to come back via St Malo? Its a very long crossing for a daytime one and quite expensive.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Dune du pyla , highest natural sand dune
Well worth a climb to the top

Also nice lakeside aire at Sanguinet just up past iBiscarosse plage

Fougeres basic Aire outside very nice castle

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Good Morning

Thanks
John
Lots of good suggestions here it just depends what facilities and surrounding you prefer. I would add 2 of our favourites that are local to us and we use frequently. Mortagne sur Gironde and Meschers. If you are new to this I recommend you join Camping-Car Park and buy the map too, download a few of the apps and/or get the appropriate Vicarious All the Aires books. You can’t have too much info!
For what it is worth we prefer the St Malo ferry but generally use Caen because we have a dog who stays in the car. The faster night crossing from Caen just means you don’t get much sleep.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Is that the one you have to shoehorn into next to the railway line?
Do you mean the town or campsites? The town is on a wide horse shoe bay just south Biaritz and is quite upmarket. Loads of ACSI campsites in the area, wouldn’t to stay near the train station though.
IMG_6560.jpeg
IMG_6550.jpeg

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
A
Do you mean the town or campsites? The town is on a wide horse shoe bay just south Biaritz and is quite upmarket. Loads of ACSI campsites in the area, wouldn’t to stay near the train station though.
View attachment 864508View attachment 864509
Ah, I was surprised. I was referring to a small aire slotted in on a main road next to the railway. Not really roadtrip standard!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
M
Good Morning

Thanks
John
Meant to say. Cracking-looking dog; what breed is that?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Two CCP aires in Biarritz. A rather ad hoc one at La Barre just on the outskirts of Bayonne - meter was broken last May so a freebie.
The one I prefer is Milady, bit noisy but fab beach ( saying I because my wife complains a out the noise)

Lots of nice aires round there though.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Our 1st stop after Gravlines is Nantes. Planning to stop outside Nantes as we will have the car to get to the mechanical place.
Interesting to read these tips though.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Good Morning

Thanks
John
I don't know if you mean together or in seperate vans, I can't give you much help on sites as there are just so many and easy to find but one tip if you don't mind me saying if you are in seperate vans, don't go in convoy , decide where your next stop is going to be and make your own way there.
Never mind if you lose the others you know where they will be, but to keep trying to follow someone is almost impossible and just takes all your time wondering where they have got to and there are enough things to look for on foreign roads without the added stress of looking for the others.
Been there ,done it.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
The one I prefer is Milady, bit noisy but fab beach ( saying I because my wife complains a out the noise)

Lots of nice aires round there though.
I didn't notice that it was particularly noisy. They are only half a mile apart anyway. The Gabriel Dorzat one is more scenic for a longer stopover but the other has a bus stop almost outside.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I've stayed at Camping la Borderie off Ave Chas. de Gaulle in Courlay. Just under a mile to the beach at St Palais. Long time ago though with a caravan. I see from GoogleEarth that there is an aire for about half a dozen motorhomes next to the Chateau d'Eau about 500m east of the campsite. Can't see any services though.

OP
OP
JohnnyRoyal
Dec 2, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Sunliving S60SP
Exp
Just completed our First Overnighter
Thank you to everyone who has taken their time to reply with advice. I shall study it all. Only 3 months to go!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back