Stolen motorhome recovered (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Yes, but not stolen and then rammed by a car. Just personal.

You never know what's gone on with a second-hand van. Just imagine what might have been happening in your bed! :oops:

At least that just looks like cab bodywork damage so a straight forward repair with no impact on the habitation. Pretty much the same as having a accident in your car. Also, if police caught the thief then presumably he'd not been in it for long.

Feb 28, 2022
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail v-line
Years ago I looked at an Octavia vRS. Really clean and tidy but the panel sealant in the boot differed L to R. Suspected it'd had a LHS smash. Owner knew nothing but V5 showed previous owner to him was "National Crime Squad" (or similar, it was nearly 20 yrs ago!) so I left it. He then admitted he'd bought it through auction but had never noticed the repairs. Probably a very good car but not for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
You never know what's gone on with a second-hand van. Just imagine what might have been happening in your bed! :oops:

At least that just looks like cab bodywork damage so a straight forward repair with no impact on the habitation. Pretty much the same as having a accident in your car. Also, if police caught the thief then presumably he'd not been in it for long.
Cheaper to have it pro valeted, or to replace the cushions/mattress than to take the insurance hit and have to replace it, I would think.

With the increases in van prices, if mine was stolen any insurance payout would struggle to fund a replacement as well maintained as my current van and with the various extras and tweaks I've added over time. Damage similar to the Adria, I'd probably take it back and make good. If it had had the interior trashed and the exterior more substantially damaged, then I wouldn't. And I'd definitely get it checked for alignment after being 'TPACed'.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Changing the plates makes a difference.
It changes the charge from TWOC (Taking a motor vehicle without consent) max. punishment 3yrs to Theft (not specifically motor vehicle) so it's Theft of property valued Ā£100,000. max punishment 10yrs.

Feb 6, 2019
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Explore RL
Exp
Since 2012
When I was a young teenager, I went to an auction to buy my 3rd or 4th car. I came away with Ford Cortina with 70k miles from one owner. The auction house did state who the previous owner was, the Metropolitan Police. Apart from it being stripped of all blue lights and the radio, it served me well for a further few thousand miles. When I came to sell it, I didnā€™t loose much of my investment.

Oct 16, 2019
North East, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
It IS the hire care I had for 4 weeks until my new company car arrived.
I smiled agreed it was 1 owner but goodness knows how many drivers.
I bought a Cavalier 1.8LS 1995 M reg - turned out it was an ex Avis Hire Car 6 months old with 10k miles- the garage had 2 identical ones with sequential reg plates.
The best car I have ever had.
I learnt to drive in a blue morris marinašŸ˜€
My Dad had a red one - N reg and I learnt to drive in it- he sold it to me after I passed my test. It was a great first car but a bit rusty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
My friend bought a granada ex traffic car in the auction
They had stripped it but left the pretty blue lights in the front.
They were soon retrieved and he got into so much hassle. For playing with them .he'd probably end up in jail now šŸ˜•

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
A senior Politicians son and some policemen were arrested in Thailand a year ago In possession of 28 imported super cars including Ferraris, Lambos, Maseratis, Rollers, Bugatti, all had been registered without paying the 283% import duty , It has been announced only this week that actually ALL 28 cars were stolen in UK in last 3 years . They will be returned to UK soon and the perps will be going to prison .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Would you scrap your car after a small accident like that.
He hasn't had an accident some chav scum has. + you've no idea what else has been done.
I'd only accept it back on condition I was allowed to necklace the thief without any comebacks.
if mine was stolen any insurance payout would struggle to fund a replacement as well maintained as my current van and with the various extras and tweaks I've added over time.
Just tell them yo let you know when they have found snow identical make,model year ,mileage, with the identical extras as we're fitted.
Remember it is"put you back in the position you were in"

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I bought a Ford capri 2.8i ghia back in 1992 , it was immaculate , blue and silver with black leather interior . I'd picked it up at a steal of a price. Had it about a fortnight and came out of asda one day to find "scum" scratched in to the bonnet and a large foot shaped dent in the passenger door . Completely baffled I went back in to the store and asked for the manager to check cctv and call the police .

Police arrived, took their time and the officer was a bit off with me at first. Seemed completely disinterested until they took my name and details and then it changed.

It turns out the car I had bought previously belonged to a convicted paedophile... and it had been targeted for that reason. It was in the days when dvla took a good few weeks to do the v5 changeover so whilst I had posted it off it was still on the system on the previous owner.

Police never caught the vandal , cost me to have it repaired and I swapped the car in a p/exchange for something else as soon as it was repaired.

Couldn't drive it after that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back