Stolen motorhome recovered (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
A little bit of damage where the police contained it. Hopefully someone will get their motorhome back soon.

1721661020439.png

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Thats the thing, when you buy a previously owned van you never actually know its true history.

We are looking to buy a new (to us) car at present. At the weekend found a 2021 vehicle that had the potential to be "the one". Until I went online and did an MOT check - the dealer selling the car had clearly done an MOT so it can be sold with a 12 month certificate. Ooops - when I saw what it had failed on all I could think was "what the hell have they been doing to a 3 year old vehicle with low mileage to cause these failures?", rapidly followed by "there is no barge pole long enough".

The faults have been dealt with and it now has a 12 month MOT certificate but buyer beware . . .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
My uncle owned a big bodywork shop. He mostly did Rolls, high end BMWs etc.

When he visited, our neighbour had just bought a brand new car. Uncle had a glancing look from 200 feet away, and said, "That's had a bad smash". The car was mis-aligned. Not that most of us would notice. He suspected it had either been damaged at sea, or coming off a transporter.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Ever seen the Top Gear episode where they bought old coupes - all Mercs I think. Then had phorensics swab them......... Cocaine, Heroin and they weren't the worst finds....... We don't know our vehicle history's but I understand the sentiment of not feeling like yours anymore. Had an old saloon stolen to then steal a racecar on a trailer from a neighbour and sold it as soon as fixed when recovered.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I went to a welknow car super market
My mother was with me
I was show the perfect car
1 owner from new
Right size boot and engine .colour don't car but not red.
It's silver grey
Lovely let's have a look but can I see the log book
On no no no data protection
One thing it's not been cleaned as it's just arrived
OK not a problem
Out the forecourt looked at the car and I started to grill him about one single owner and service history
My mother thought I was giving him a hard time until she noticed a flaw in the front number plate
She then said
Oh look it has a chip in the numberplate just like the one you had.
Yes mother I can see that
It IS the hire care I had for 4 weeks until my new company car arrived.
I smiled agreed it was 1 owner but goodness knows how many drivers.

If he'd been honest I'd have bought it as I knew it's history.
Hire manager and me.

Lost an easy sale

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
We were living in Hull when i bought a Mk 2 ? Cortina 69 'ish last second hand car.............
I was THAT PLEASED...... It was the first second hander i had bought that was REGISTERED in its HOME COUNTY....... " There's POSH.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)
I used to look in big shop windows as i went by... History ? It had no dings and drove right,had it till 73 and then had our first new car , a Morris Marina 1.8 with spec pack. It pulled the c/van like a train,good mileage per gallon and when i fitted an extra spring leaf from a Marina van on the back it went around corners as if on rails.... tightened the back end up...result.
Lorries / I have driven lorries that have earned first owners...Millions of pounds. ( By the time i got 'em:ROFLMAO:)
" What wears one out buys another lad. " Mr Walter Phillips " Wirksworth haulier '66. ( W.H . Phillips Wirksworth Derbyshire )....gone now alas. )to me.
Drive it as it comes. It DOESN'T know your history.:drinks:🚛🚑:ROFLMAO:(y)
Tea Bag

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi.
We were living in Hull when i bought a Mk 2 ? Cortina 69 'ish last second hand car.............
I was THAT PLEASED...... It was the first second hander i had bought that was REGISTERED in its HOME COUNTY....... " There's POSH.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)
I used to look in big shop windows as i went by... History ? It had no dings and drove right,had it till 73 and then had our first new car , a Morris Marina 1.8 with spec pack. It pulled the c/van like a train,good mileage per gallon and when i fitted an extra spring leaf from a Marina van on the back it went around corners as if on rails.... tightened the back end up...result.
Lorries / I have driven lorries that have earned first owners...Millions of pounds. ( By the time i got 'em:ROFLMAO:)
" What wears one out buys another lad. " Mr Walter Phillips " Wirksworth haulier '66. ( W.H . Phillips Wirksworth Derbyshire )....gone now alas. )to me.
Drive it as it comes. It DOESN'T know your history.:drinks:🚛🚑:ROFLMAO:(y)
Tea Bag
Morris Marina, think Top Gear loved them to pieces 👍🏻

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I wouldn’t want it back.😱
Me neither, not when you know it’s been your pride and joy and some utter scumbag thought it was ok to steal it from you.

Different if you were buying something second hand and you’re not attached to it, but the thought of the creep possibly living, peeing, sleeping in my bed, I’d rather they scrapped it, gave me the dosh and go and hopefully buy another one.

A proper one this time, not an Adria 🙄🤭🤣

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My uncle owned a big bodywork shop. He mostly did Rolls, high end BMWs etc.

When he visited, our neighbour had just bought a brand new car. Uncle had a glancing look from 200 feet away, and said, "That's had a bad smash". The car was mis-aligned. Not that most of us would notice. He suspected it had either been damaged at sea, or coming off a transporter.

When I bought my MH I took with me a similar bodyshop owner, doing mainly Porsche, Ferraris etc. and he could not fault thr alignments etc.. His only comment was that the paint on the front area did not quite match the body, but he had not taken into account that the front is F/Glass and the body powder coating.

If buying again I would find somebody with similar experience.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if it was what I wanted at the price I could afford. Especially if it hadn't been repaired in the insurance and just recorded as stolen/recovered on the 'register' ...

It's an Adria so it's a quality motorhome !

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
I’m pleased to see it’s been recovered, for everyone that isn’t our insurance increases.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I went to a welknow car super market
My mother was with me
I was show the perfect car
1 owner from new
Right size boot and engine .colour don't car but not red.
It's silver grey
Lovely let's have a look but can I see the log book
On no no no data protection
One thing it's not been cleaned as it's just arrived
OK not a problem
Out the forecourt looked at the car and I started to grill him about one single owner and service history
My mother thought I was giving him a hard time until she noticed a flaw in the front number plate
She then said
Oh look it has a chip in the numberplate just like the one you had.
Yes mother I can see that
It IS the hire care I had for 4 weeks until my new company car arrived.
I smiled agreed it was 1 owner but goodness knows how many drivers.

If he'd been honest I'd have bought it as I knew it's history.
Hire manager and me.

Lost an easy sale
Our Skoda Octavia estate is ex daily hire. Bought it 8 years ago 6 months old 12k miles about £4 k cheaper than at main dealers. Now done 105k miles never a problem!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Our Skoda Octavia estate is ex daily hire. Bought it 8 years ago 6 months old 12k miles about £4 k cheaper than at main dealers. Now done 105k miles never a problem!
I'd have bought it if he had been honest .but he tried to hide that it was previously a hire car

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
As an FYI.
Some of the insurance companies will not cover ex hire vehicles.

We got close to buying one a few years back, it had only done one season, nothing wrong with it, but it did not match the rest of their fleet.
The hire company had originally put in an order for 20 of them, but they were told there was such a long queue it would be two years before delivery (Back in 2017-18).

Neither the dealer selling it, not Comfort insurance would cover it as it was ex hire.

(And what we ended up buying was better)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our first MH was ex hire never had a problem insuring it in fact I don't think we were ever asked.

Apr 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Timberland Endeavour
Coming home the other day saw a load of cops in both marked and unmarked cars swarmed round a m/home and transit van-don't know what the crack was but obviously something serious....
Cheers, Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back