Chris116

Free Member
Feb 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Hi,
We’ve just purchased our first motorhome Burstner 745 and are very green newbies. We won’t be able to use it for a few months so my question is does the solar panel charge both leisure and starter batteries or just the leisure? It’s in a storage compound so no EHU. Would it be worth removing the batteries to look after them at home or could that potentially cause additional problems?
kind regards and many thanks in advanc.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Welcome. Some additional information is required. Yes with enough solar, and the right controller your van would be fine storage. You'll need to post up what size the panel is, the type of controller, and battery type if possible.
Mike.

OP
OP
C

Chris116

Free Member
Feb 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Welcome. Some additional information is required. Yes with enough solar, and the right controller your van would be fine storage. You'll need to post up what size the panel is, the type of controller, and battery type if possible.
Mike.
Thanks Mike,
l’ve only just got the van so no idea on any specifications its a MY 22 so batteries will be OE I’ll look through the documents to try and find any info on the panel and controller, couldn’t find anything on the starter battery/solar panel charger though.

OP
OP
C

Chris116

Free Member
Feb 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Does your insurance state alarms need to be operational ?
Thanks for the reply,
Yes, unfortunately the insurance have stated factory fitted alarms and immobilisers be operational and an additional tracker be fitted as well. However I thought removal of the starter or both batteries would help improve security 😉. It’s on a Gold Secure storage site, obviously I don’t want to turn up and find the batteries dead or find I created an unforeseen problem by removing them for a few months to charge at home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We too keep ours in storage but we can request an EHU if required.
Are you sure this is not an option for you in your storage.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If you have trackers and alarm you need battery else they won't be powered for long.

If storage is in the open then you will get a little something from the solar in winter. Trouble is that may not do that well innour cloudy UK climate. Today my 150W panel gave a feeble 70W input. Over say a fortnight your lead acid starter battery powering that tracker and alarm, with parasitic draw from radio and other electronics will struggle.

Main solution is to drive the mh for at least an hour every fortnight. Actually that's good for all it's mechanics.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Hi and Welcome!

I‘m not sure about that particular model (Burstner 745)- maybe someone who has one can comment.

In the absence of that:
It‘s difficult to guess whether your particular setup charges both leisure and starter from the solar panels.
Maybe you have a solar controller that does both?
Maybe you have something like a Battery Master?
Maybe your EBL takes care of starter battery?

One way of checking is to monitor the voltage of the starter battery on a sunny day. If it goes into the high 12.something then possibly. If it goes over 13v then I’d say definitely.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Thanks for the reply,
Yes, unfortunately the insurance have stated factory fitted alarms and immobilisers be operational and an additional tracker be fitted as well. However I thought removal of the starter or both batteries would help improve security 😉. It’s on a Gold Secure storage site, obviously I don’t want to turn up and find the batteries dead or find I created an unforeseen problem by removing them for a few months to charge at home.
Some people as a short term measure locate a folding temporary solar panel in their windscreen if they can get some orientation towards the sun. Due to the panel having to be slightly sloped in that position it enhances the capture of energy, usually enough to keep the starter battery happy with it's energy draw down for trackers, alarms et al. or at least extending the batteries useful time. Have a look on Ebay/Amazon for folding panels, you can generally get one of about 100/120 watts in the screen area. An " Anderson" socket type of connection to the starter battery is the easiest connection, this can be located under one of the front seats.
I have assumed you have, or can acquire some skills for home installation. Don't be frightened to ask for help on here, that's what the forums for, but equally, have a look in the search function [ top right of the home screen] in the first instance.
Mike.

OP
OP
C

Chris116

Free Member
Feb 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
We too keep ours in storage but we can request an EHU if required.
Are you sure this is not an option for you in your storage.
Never thought of this I’ll ask, Tanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Chris116

Free Member
Feb 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Some people as a short term measure locate a folding temporary solar panel in their windscreen if they can get some orientation towards the sun. Due to the panel having to be slightly sloped in that position it enhances the capture of energy, usually enough to keep the starter battery happy with it's energy draw down for trackers, alarms et al. or at least extending the batteries useful time. Have a look on Ebay/Amazon for folding panels, you can generally get one of about 100/120 watts in the screen area. An " Anderson" socket type of connection to the starter battery is the easiest connection, this can be located under one of the front seats.
I have assumed you have, or can acquire some skills for home installation. Don't be frightened to ask for help on here, that's what the forums for, but equally, have a look in the search function [ top right of the home screen] in the first instance.
Mike.
Thanks Mike, great advice and reassuring to know useful knowledge is available

Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
80w folding panel on cab seats has worked for us last 3 years while in winter storage. Fortunately we park up south facing.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
we have used solar for 14 years to keep both vehicle and habitation batteries charged,3 different vans 3 different systems lowest size panel was100 watt/amps cant remember how they are described.
The one thing they all had in common was/is a battery master.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Get a simple multimeter.
Measure all battery voltages with engine off and preferably at night OR temporarily disconnect the solar wires to your controller for 30 minutes.
This tells you the actual voltage state of each battery.
Now connect solar back on (When connecting to a solar controller it must be battery first, then panels.)
Now measure batteries again - if they are over 13 volts then your solar is pushing power to that battery.

My old MH had a switch for you to select which battery was powering the 12V devices (pump, lights etc...) - this switch had two purposes - 1) emergency use of engine battery if leisure batteries failed. 2) it also selects where the onboard charger sends it's power. Typically leave on Leisure battery but if we had camped for a week and wanted to be sure the engine battery was good we would switch to using it for the last night.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Mike.
I bought a 100w folding VoltSet Monocrystaline panel from Amazon. About £130 comes with lots of cable options and more importantly includes an MPPT controller. Ok it’s only 3 LEDs, Solar, charge and charged. Sits perfectly in the Windscreen. Luckily, I can face Southish when parked in Storage and it just about keeps the engine battery topped up in this weather. The cable is long enough to run it of the drivers door, under the wheel arch to the engine bay and croc clips on the battery. I’ll be looking to fit and SAE or Anderson socket somewhere near the drivers seat for easier connection and the same for the leisure battery when off grid.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
20210922_120110.jpg I have fitted Anderson sockets for both battery banks, any surplus power can then be directed at either. As you say, marginal at this time of year, but come the longer lighter days even a 100w panel carefully placed will feed in 5/6 amps, a useful amount on top of any other panels,or if you don't want to move on.
Their located under the passengers seat with a lot of the other electrical items, solar controller, B2B, etc.
Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back