Starlink (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B634
Exp
Since 2023
Is anyone using the starlink internet service? I’m intrigued but I know nothing about it

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
There is a few hours reading here, if you are interested!

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
Yes, had one at home since February. Since I live in the a**e end of nowhere without any chance of decent broadband it really is a game changer. It's rock solid and it works right out of the box.
Since having one at home I decided to get a Starlink 'Mini' for the Motorhome as we ditched the Oyster sat dish and relying on cellular was rather patchy.
Yes, its expensive if you have access to fibre broadband but considering the technology behind it, its a price worth paying in my opinion (which is worthless LOL)

Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
Yes we have it at home, download speeds at home with Vodafone etc was pants. Bought roam so use at home and then take it with us in van. Speeds vary from 50 - 200 mbs very pleased with it.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Is anyone using the starlink internet service? I’m intrigued but I know nothing about it
Yes we do.

As has already been said. Expensive. But you can limit the cost with the pause function. Maybe paying only for the month you are away.

We have a renewal date of the 12th of each month. If I was returning on the 17th for example I would pause the subscription on the 12th if I was not going to be using it for the next month otherwise I'd be paying £85 for 5 days.

I still think it is worth it especially if you are away for longer periods in Europe like us.

OP
OP
Simon1981
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B634
Exp
Since 2023
Yes we do.

As has already been said. Expensive. But you can limit the cost with the pause function. Maybe paying only for the month you are away.

We have a renewal date of the 12th of each month. If I was returning on the 17th for example I would pause the subscription on the 12th if I was not going to be using it for the next month otherwise I'd be paying £85 for 5 days.

I still think it is worth it especially if you are away for longer periods in Europe like us.
Thanks for the reply it’s very helpful, I did read somewhere about a £50 a month subscription rather than the super expensive £85 one but I’m not seeing anything about it on the starlink website anywhere

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

Very good point !

I also think the renewal date needs to be known, so as to reduce roaming costs

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Thanks for the reply it’s very helpful, I did read somewhere about a £50 a month subscription rather than the super expensive £85 one but I’m not seeing anything about it on the starlink website anywhere
I think this is for the new mini dish that is also 12v but if I'm not mistaken you have to link it to the standard £85 subscription. £85+£50.

I could be wrong on that but it's the reason I've not got it (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes we use it at home here in spain.Brilliant after 22 years of utter shite.
But you can limit the cost with the pause function. Maybe paying only for the month you are away.
you have to have roaming to "pause" it.
I found that out when i wanted to do it when we went away.
Only way I could 'not pay' , or pay less , whilst away & it was turned off & removed,was to change the normal service to "deprioritised" which dropped the price from 40 /Month to 29 /month. We have stayed on it since returning to see what service we get & it is still excellent with 150+Mb downloads compared to 300

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Yes we use it at home here in spain.Brilliant after 22 years of utter shite.

you have to have roaming to "pause" it.
I found that out when i wanted to do it when we went away.
Only way I could 'not pay' , or pay less , whilst away & it was turned off & removed,was to change the normal service to "deprioritised" which dropped the price from 40 /Month to 29 /month. We have stayed on it since returning to see what service we get & it is still excellent with 150+Mb downloads compared to 300
40 euro a month.

We can only dream of that price. :LOL: Although we are looking at property in your area again this winter. Debating on permanent move

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
40 euro a month.

We can only dream of that price. :LOL: Although we are looking at property in your area again this winter. Debating on permanent move
there is another 9€ "access tax" that gov.es charge starlink & they have to pass on. France it is just 40€

Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Cannot get mini roam in the Isle of Man so have just got the g 3 has anyone flat mounted one to there motorhome

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Cannot get mini roam in the Isle of Man so have just got the g 3 has anyone flat mounted one to there motorhome
Hi davejmobile is that the hardware ie the mini itself, or signing up to the 50g contract, I only ask as you can purchase the Starlink mini through Currys then set up a contract with Starlink.
Steve

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Hi davejmobile is that the hardware ie the mini itself, or signing up to the 50g contract, I only ask as you can purchase the Starlink mini through Currys then set up a contract with Starlink.
Steve
Yes, that's exactly what I did. I bought online from Currys, and then just needed to get the ID or serial number from the kit to submit online to activate the dish. I found the easiest way was to boot the thing up and connect to it with the Starlink app and you can then get the ID and serial numbers from one of the menus in there. The day you activate it will be the billing cycle start day each month.

If you have the Regional Roam contract you can pause it, but be aware that if you unpause it part way through the billing cycle you will be charged for a whole month even if it is only a couple of days to the billing cycle start day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back