Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (8 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Maybe it is a case of trying to have a few days with the dish active in the UK after returning from a trip, but if you are pausing between trips whether this is practical will be very dependent on your billing date. If you can run it in the UK after returning it will prove to the Starlink overlords that you are actually based in the UK. However given the disparity between EU and UK Starlink tariffs I don't know why anyone would be pretending to live in the UK if they don't!

You may be right… I’m in the Europe Starlink Zone for the next nine months, so it sadly doesn’t help me! 🙃😢

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I have tried switching registered address to a different country in the past, but it wouldn't allow it, so unless this restriction has been removed I guess after 2 months it can't be used until back in home country.

Hey Brendan

I’m pretty sure they don’t want UK registered and tariffed Starlink users using it for two months, getting shut down as they are outside the UK, suspending the service for seven months and losing out on revenue at nearly twice what they would achieve from a Spanish registered Starlink user.

I hope this is a clause to stop the tariff avoiders the other way around, cheap subs being used in expensive subs country. 🙏

If not, for our use case, they really are shooting themselves in the foot! 🙃

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Starlink state they 'May' require you to rre register - I assume at that point they will communicate with an individual rather than a via a mail shot to everyone, so you can state your case.

As Carpmart has says, if you're registered in the UK and using it with UK rates in countries with lower rates then I don't see why they would want to you to register and pay less??

I think that's why they said they 'may' be required rather than you 'will' be required ...

Still haven't found the bit about the price increase though .. can anyone point me to it please, though in all honesty I will continue to use it purely for ease of use etc.

As I have two Starlinks, with two different contract dates its actually quite simple for me activate one or the other for a couple of weeks or even less, only paying the pro rata price for time of use. I did intend converting my other and selling it in but now I'm more thinking of converting and keeping ...

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If not, for our use case, they really are shooting themselves in the foot! 🙃
Trouble is, we have a very limited view of Starlink's subscriptions experience.
Obviously, what you fear might happen [there's no clarity yet] will obviously not suit nor be practical for the limited number of motorhomers who spend over two months abroad. Yet for Starlink and the majority of their subscribers, it might make perfect financial sense.

Hopefully, they'll clarify that roaming means outside the geographical area of Europe - example, with the Mini, it's perfectly feasible for a holidaymaker to take their dish on a trip to, say, USA or Australia.

Being American, those who wrote the new T&C's probably have no conception of the size of European countries compared to the USA.

I certainly wouldn't consider becoming a subscriber given the new costs & apparent restrictions on travel.

If you can't re-register your home address, what's the process for the odd one or two who do actually move - can you change address on static sub?

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Still haven't found the bit about the price increase though .. can anyone point me to it please, though in all honesty I will continue to use it purely for ease of use etc.
Here (link) .......

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 11.09.50.png

Cheers

PS I have retained my old motorised unit for home use and am now using the Mini - not posted for some time on this thread!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
I believe that companies should hear from its customers so have raised a ticket with SL giving my thoughts on the price increase.

It’ll probably not make a jot of difference but if my thoughts are similar to others who make contact, you never know…

This is what I’ve said.

Hi,
Whilst I will have to pay the increased price for my Starlink on the roam plan, I will not be using any of the additional services that now are part of that plan (in motion, coastal etc.).
So, it appears that I will now be paying for services that I neither need nor requested.
Could you please consider adding these ‘extras’ as paid services and reducing the basic service price in future as £96 per month is now starting to get really expensive for internet access and I may have to start considering alternatives (mobile data SIM’s) which will be less convenient and possibly less reliable but a lot cheaper.
Consider if just for one month of use, I decide to use mobile data rather than Starlink… you’ll lose £96 of revenue and it would then take another 8 months of my usage to regain that over the difference of the previous price of £85. Now that the price has increased I’ll be looking to use alternatives more so your potential to lose single months of my use is increased whereas at the price I first started with Starlink (£85) and was happy with, I wouldn’t necessarily be looking for those alternatives.
If you could raise this with the decision makers in Starlink, I think that a cheaper basic, no frills roam plan would be appealing to people like myself who might then not be so likely to look for occasional alternatives and hence increasing your revenue overall.
Thanks, Ian

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Being American, those who wrote the new T&C's probably have no conception of the size of European countries compared to the USA.

Yes I agree completely.. the UK is smaller geographically than many states in the US. They aren’t restricting the US ‘nomads’ to state only coverage, which is effectively the restriction they ‘may’ apply to us! 🤬

If they enforce the single country restriction, I’m going to order another Starlink in Spain this year. Use that most of the time, then if they restrict that under their ‘two month’ clause, I will fire up the UK dish and use that for two months…

I think I will be cost neutral in less than 12 months… what a pain in the ass it is though! 🤬

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Yes I agree completely.. the UK is smaller geographically than many states in the US. They aren’t restricting the US ‘nomads’ to state only coverage, which is effectively the restriction they ‘may’ apply to us! 🤬

If they enforce the single country restriction, I’m going to order another Starlink in Spain this year. Use that most of the time, then if they restrict that under their ‘two month’ clause, I will fire up the UK dish and use that for two months…

I think I will be cost neutral in less than 12 months… what a pain in the ass it is though! 🤬
The YouTube van life people have yet to say anything. I’ll be watching with interest as we head home 13 October having just paid my last £85.
Not out again until mid January so hopefully we will get a clear picture by then as it will have taken effect for a while.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
the only reason we have starlink is because getting anything at our house that my wife can stream tv with ,that actually works is nearly impossible due to the flaky mobile signal .wifi line of sight starts ok but as more people start to use it it becomes uselass. Our mobile sim cards work well all over spain ,europe & the uk for same all in price . the sim we had for the house before was ok but came & went when viewng tv..If the price went up here then it would get binned

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
I believe that companies should hear from its customers so have raised a ticket with SL giving my thoughts on the price increase.

It’ll probably not make a jot of difference but if my thoughts are similar to others who make contact, you never know…

This is what I’ve said.

Hi,
Whilst I will have to pay the increased price for my Starlink on the roam plan, I will not be using any of the additional services that now are part of that plan (in motion, coastal etc.).
So, it appears that I will now be paying for services that I neither need nor requested.
Could you please consider adding these ‘extras’ as paid services and reducing the basic service price in future as £96 per month is now starting to get really expensive for internet access and I may have to start considering alternatives (mobile data SIM’s) which will be less convenient and possibly less reliable but a lot cheaper.
Consider if just for one month of use, I decide to use mobile data rather than Starlink… you’ll lose £96 of revenue and it would then take another 8 months of my usage to regain that over the difference of the previous price of £85. Now that the price has increased I’ll be looking to use alternatives more so your potential to lose single months of my use is increased whereas at the price I first started with Starlink (£85) and was happy with, I wouldn’t necessarily be looking for those alternatives.
If you could raise this with the decision makers in Starlink, I think that a cheaper basic, no frills roam plan would be appealing to people like myself who might then not be so likely to look for occasional alternatives and hence increasing your revenue overall.
Thanks, Ian
And their reply…

Thank you for reaching out and providing valuable feedback.

We can understand how these fees can add up for you, and we certainly value your business and hope to retain you as a Starlink Customer.

We may not be the cheapest option in the market, but we try to add the most value by reinvesting back into our product and processes. Of course, you should do what you think is best for your household so if you do find another service provider that's more suitable for your needs, we understand.

We appreciate your valuable feedback and it has been shared with the team, but we are unable to support your request to keep you at your current subscription price. As we launch more satellites into orbit and improve our software, we will continuously reevaluate our capacity. Starlink may adjust prices over time to reflect market conditions and changes to network capacity.

At this time though, we can't waiver from our policy as it wouldn't be fair to our other customers.

Thank you

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
And their reply…

We can understand how these fees can add up for you, and we certainly value your business and hope to retain you as a Starlink Customer.

We may not be the cheapest option in the market, but we try to add the most value by reinvesting back into our product and processes. Of course, you should do what you think is best for your household so if you do find another service provider that's more suitable for your needs, we understand.

We appreciate your valuable feedback and it has been shared with the team, but we are unable to support your request to keep you at your current subscription price. As we launch more satellites into orbit and improve our software, we will continuously reevaluate our capacity. Starlink may adjust prices over time to reflect market conditions and changes to network capacity.

At this time though, we can't waiver from our policy as it wouldn't be fair to our other customers.

Thank you

A bot has spotted some key words and sent a template reply as received by others yesterday!

I think it’s almost impossible to get through the Starlink Automation layer to a Humon. 🤣

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Yes. I think it does reduce my concern a bit!

They need a new lawyer writing their T&C’s as that is contra to the wording they are using. Bloody Septics, they don’t understand the rest of the world! 🤣

Edit: just thought about it a bit more, the reply is ambiguous, as in we all know we can use the service across the continent. They ‘may’ after two months restrict that service. Love to know what the question was that was asked as the context would help to interpret and contextualise the response. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I dont use facebook but have been sent this "continent"

I’ve looked at it for you! 😇

Load of people spouting stuff that is not related to the issue we have highlighted here, or indeed to the OP question on Facebook! 🤣

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I’ve looked at it for you! 😇

Load of people spouting stuff that is not related to the issue we have highlighted here, or indeed to the OP question on Facebook! 🤣
typical FB I guess.

But tbh Im sure we all be lumped in as prev with the eu.

I have 2 of my starlinks both registered in England on Roam, but sited in wales , and have had one email for one saying increase ?

I have one registered in Spain and sited in spain, and heard nothing yet

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
typical FB I guess.

But tbh Im sure we all be lumped in as prev with the eu.

I have 2 of my starlinks both registered in England on Roam, but sited in wales , and have had one email for one saying increase ?

I have one registered in Spain and sited in spain, and heard nothing yet
And I have two Gen 2's registered in the UK and no mention of price increase ... (so far ..despite receiving emails re service upgrade)

Carpmart Mine are both on Roam already .. but I can't find reference in the email or in MY terms and conditions relating to the increase, I MUST be missing something..... Although it is pretty irrelevant as I will continue to use it when touring in the EU

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
So as you’re not currently an active subscriber, maybe you will be notified when you are?
as the sun is shining i prefer to think that as i am not going to be a new subscriber and therefore not going to press the 'order now' button, then my tariff will stay the same - my new approach can be summarised as 'blue sky thinking' or 'head burying in the sand' .......

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
as the sun is shining i prefer to think that as i am not going to be a new subscriber and therefore not going to press the 'order now' button, then my tariff will stay the same - my new approach can be summarised as 'blue sky thinking' or 'head burying in the sand' .......
Well you’re not wrong. If you don’t turn it on you can stay at £85 forever and still take it to Europe as much as you want.

What can go wrong :unsure:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Well you’re not wrong. If you don’t turn it on you can stay at £85 forever and still take it to Europe as much as you want.

What can go wrong :unsure:
Brilliant, i can even save the existing £85 aswell if i dont turn it on!! perfect solution thanks .... :imoutahere:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
And their reply…

Thank you
That basically says **** off.:laughing:politely

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back