Starlink Gen 2 on OE stand, do you travel with it up? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
Can I ask any Generation 2 users using the OE stand, do you leave it fixed to the roof when you drive?

My stand is bolted to the roof and I usually just take out the dish and put it away inside but is the dish post robust enough to remain on the roof in its stowed position?

I don't need signal, it really is just me being lazy not wanting to put it all away.

And my top speed is 40mph so its not as if I am asking it to put up with breakneck speeds!

TIA

Mark

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I don’t. I have lugs mounted on the roof which the base bolts too (wing nuts) so o just climb up, put the dish on the roof, connect the cable and away I go!

I would be too bothered about errant branches to leave it up their stowed whilst driving.

MHF

Mar 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
MORELO 82LB
IMG_2148.JPG

STARLINK
we travel with it switched on and it works perfectly
I have tried to park avoiding trees but have had no problems with the signal yet
we can undo it by standing on the table and opening the roof light I also left the cable long so we can position it away from the motorhome
we have tested it up to 75mph
oh my friend has it mounted the other way around and has had no problems

IMG_2094 2.jpg

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
View attachment 927828
STARLINK
we travel with it switched on and it works perfectly
I have tried to park avoiding trees but have had no problems with the signal yet
we can undo it by standing on the table and opening the roof light I also left the cable long so we can position it away from the motorhome
we have tested it up to 75mph
oh my friend has it mounted the other way around and has had no problems

View attachment 927846

That’s a Gen3 dish… nice setup! ✔️

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Can I ask any Generation 2 users using the OE stand, do you leave it fixed to the roof when you drive?

My stand is bolted to the roof and I usually just take out the dish and put it away inside but is the dish post robust enough to remain on the roof in its stowed position?

I don't need signal, it really is just me being lazy not wanting to put it all away.

And my top speed is 40mph so its not as if I am asking it to put up with breakneck speeds!

TIA

Mark
It is going to be quite tall on the OE stand making it vulnerable to low bridges etc, and will be at a bad angle for wind resistance especially if stowed, and if not stowed and switched on you might put undue strain on the dish orientation motor, so I wouldn't recommend travelling with it on the roof.

I use a Starvmount post on the roof and can easily fit the dish to that via the front roof light when needed, using a permanently installed cable. If I need to position it off the roof due to tree cover I have an alternative cable and small tripod to allow it to be positioned on the ground. The dish is stored strapped vertically inside the gas locker along with the folded down tripod and only takes a few minutes to deploy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I've also seen the odd one on the roof of self conversions, travelling along quite happily with the original tripod attached to the roof (at least I hope it was attached!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back