Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
Just purchased the star link mini with a 50gb plan, I must say I’m impressed with the ease of use not much bigger than an A4 piece of paper. Thought mentioning it might help someone else on the fence.

Fast connection and great for working almost anywhere.
There bringing out a new lead which reduces the power consumption greatly soon for off grid

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
For data use, what's the benefit of "direct to cell" over his current dish technology?
Is it that technology will put a satellite receiver in your phone?
If I understand correctly [unlikely], isn't Starlink reliant on ground stations to physically connect into the internet infrastructure?
And if so, those will be subject to national government whims.
And, rather like BT, the government chose to tell/instruct/force BT to open up it's exchanges & infrastructure to competitors... might not similar happen, eventually, to Starlink?

It’s no different to cell infrastructure, it all needs back haul connectivity to the fibre networks.

And yes, anything could happen BUT right here right now, it’s the best option available for my use case… well not the mini as I’m a Gen2 user! 😉

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It’s no different to cell infrastructure, it all needs back haul connectivity to the fibre networks.

And yes, anything could happen BUT right here right now, it’s the best option available for my use case… well not the mini as I’m a Gen2 user! 😉
Not Starlink as currently available but this 'direct to cell' coming soon apparently

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
If cost is the primary driver, then yes, there are cheaper options which don’t work as well and may be capped… worth ‘ponying up’ IMHO as it’s a MVNO setup specifically for roaming offers.. ✔️

Your original point Fred was that there aren’t any UK based services which offer >30gb before capping, hence my post as there are! 🤪
Yes, horses for courses. As I said, interesting, but not to me now I have Starlink, so we only now need basic data connectivity on our phones, for which a low cost option is more attractive.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I did notice a disclaimer on the Popit website to the effect that they have no control over, and cannot be responsible for, roaming performance due to the data shaping measures etc, applied to EE's EU partners. I guess this is the case for all UK based providers these days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I did notice a disclaimer on the Popit website to the effect that they have no control over, and cannot be responsible for, roaming performance due to the data shaping measures etc, applied to EE's EU partners. I guess this is the case for all UK based providers these days.

Sure is…

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back