Spluttering water, poss none return valve? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 13, 2023
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
Hi,

Would a failed none return valve, on my cascade water heater tank cause tap spluttering?

Im experiencing it recently a lot, but what I've also noticed recently, is when my water heater is on, the cold water comes out very warm to start with.

Just wondering if this is two separate problems, or if the valve could be the cause of both issues?

Cheers all :)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
When a non return valve failed on our carthago it just stopped the water flow full stop. I would day it's more like an air lock and you need to bleed the system.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We replaced the NRV and pump in our Globecar like for like and water flow doubled. But unsure if it wads the NRV or pump

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Hi,

Would a failed none return valve, on my cascade water heater tank cause tap spluttering?

Im experiencing it recently a lot, but what I've also noticed recently, is when my water heater is on, the cold water comes out very warm to start with.

Just wondering if this is two separate problems, or if the valve could be the cause of both issues?

Cheers all :)
A failed NRV may cause your issues as it can allow the water to flow back to the tank, drawing air in each time it does. This water that drains back to the tank from your water heater would be hot/warm. If you know it has failed, or think it may have it would be a good place to start, and a relatively cheap way to proceed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Is the non-return valve on your heater or is it located near the pump? I presume it's a submersible pump inside the water tank, because the external pumps have diaphragm valves which act as non-return valves. The hot water will be draining out of the water heater towards the water tank, filling the hot and cold pipes and admitting air into the system. Then when you turn on the tap, you get spluttering and warm water.

OP
OP
G
Feb 13, 2023
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
Is the non-return valve on your heater or is it located near the pump? I presume it's a submersible pump inside the water tank, because the external pumps have diaphragm valves which act as non-return valves. The hot water will be draining out of the water heater towards the water tank, filling the hot and cold pipes and admitting air into the system. Then when you turn on the tap, you get spluttering and warm water.
I think there is one on the hot water tank inlet.

The water pump is a pressure setup posiflo 3000, not submersible in the tank.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When sorting the same issue on my son's m/h we replaced the N/R valve as it was cheap as chips. On examining the old one there was nothing wrong with it except a very tiny bit of debris that was stuck between the valve's sealing faces. He now has it as a spare.

OP
OP
G
Feb 13, 2023
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
Looking into this some more over this weekend, I don't think I actually have a none return valve where I thought there was one. I can't identify one anywhere to be honest.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Just add a new one. Two in a system doesn’t matter. Often built into the pump, but can fail.

OP
OP
G
Feb 13, 2023
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
Just add a new one. Two in a system doesn’t matter. Often built into the pump, but can fail.
Thinking I might just get a new pump and see if that fixes it. When this all started I did notice a couple of leaks from the pump head. I tightened a few screws up and the leaks have stopped in the main, but I do still come to it sometimes with a little bit of water underneath it. I can't work out what it is that causes it as it always happens when in use out on the field, and never when I'm trying to replicate it.

It's an old posiflo 3000, which I think I can get a direct replacement for, but now called sureflo.

OP
OP
G
Feb 13, 2023
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
Sods law... took the old pump out to get ready for the new one, and found a screw at the back of the pump head that was completely out. Took it all apart gave it a nice clean and now all hunky dorey. Well, at least i'll have a spare pump for the day this one does die.

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Would anyone know where the NRV is in our 2005 N&B Arto? Our cold water comes through with quite a lot of spluttering but warm .. not at all 🤷🏽‍♀️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back