Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Looking for somewhere to empty grey & black and take on water as I progress from Chester up to Carlisle and onwards to D&G. Don't really want to have to book a night somewhere just to service the van facilities.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

These have water not sure about grey waste, maybe a CL if you call ahead.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I'm sure the old blacksmiths had some facilities

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
What do coaches with toilets do on the UK M/Way system?

In Poland every other M/ay Service area has a Bus discharge point and they are advertised 'BUS' on the signs 5km and 1km in advance.

Perhaps some members could ask some coach drivers and report back.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
What do coaches with toilets do on the UK M/Way system?

In Poland every other M/ay Service area has a Bus discharge point and they are advertised 'BUS' on the signs 5km and 1km in advance.

Perhaps some members could ask some coach drivers and report back.
Call into other companies if their friends it's a swop when your in my area other charge.
Not many want random vehicles in their yards
Other will make you welcome not all have proper facilities like nice drive over grids

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
There’s also a private aire at Metal Bridge (next to the Metal Bridge Inn , just between Carlisle & Gretna) - not sure if they do just a service stop but maybe worth asking?

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
The 2 big clubs have sites that allow empty and refill for a small charge to members.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I recently got a (r)ollicking from a CL owner for emptying my toilet and rubbish on arrival. I was told I should have emptied everything before leaving the previous site and this was unacceptable behaviour. I left early and will not be going back there. I have to say this is not typical of CL owners who are usually much more welcoming but is indicative that some of them do not welcome wild campers. I thought I had paid for the right to use their facilities.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I recently got a (r)ollicking from a CL owner for emptying my toilet and rubbish on arrival. I was told I should have emptied everything before leaving the previous site and this was unacceptable behaviour. I left early and will not be going back there. I have to say this is not typical of CL owners who are usually much more welcoming but is indicative that some of them do not welcome wild campers. I thought I had paid for the right to use their facilities.

So, if you had emptied all on leaving that would have been OK? Stupid attitude.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Playing Devil's Advocate,

Perhaps if, unbeknowns to you, you were the last of a long line of 'Wild Campers' who had just paid a few quid, only to get rid of their waste etc. (and with the big MH's this can be considerable) if it was attached to a business , it probably cost him as much to get rid of the waste, as he was charging.

Was it the main reason you stopped there? 🤔

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Playing Devil's Advocate,

Perhaps if, unbeknowns to you, you were the last of a long line of 'Wild Campers' who had just paid a few quid, only to get rid of their waste etc. (and with the big MH's this can be considerable) if it was attached to a business , it probably cost him as much to get rid of the waste, as he was charging.

Was it the main reason you stopped there? 🤔
I had just handed over £50 for 2 nights in our 6.4m van which I consider ample payment for the use of their facilities.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
I had just handed over £50 for 2 nights in our 6.4m van which I consider ample payment for the use of their facilities.
I would think most people would be the same, was the person expecting you not to the make use of the facilities again that day? Or leave on day two without using the facilities?
Think these type of issues with sites should be highlighted when possible to help others make an informed decision on using such places, at least to be warned in advance

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
We've come across a few CLs that have a minimum 2 night stop for motorhomes because they don't like people who book 1 night, turn up, drop off rubbish, empty grey/ black waste, top up water and don't stay. Personally, I don't really see this as a problem because they are paying for the use of facilities, but on busy sites it might prevent bookings for longer stays.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I would think most people would be the same, was the person expecting you not to the make use of the facilities again that day? Or leave on day two without using the facilities?
Think these type of issues with sites should be highlighted when possible to help others make an informed decision on using such places, at least to be warned in advance
I really do think there has to be more to this incident than we know of.
Why would ANY PRIVATE business person annoy there customers without good cause.

Sadly we often hear of one side of a story and it's often a negative one.
Sadly you/us Brits complain on media more than we praise.

No disrespect to the OP, I'm sure it happened as he described it, I just wish we could hear the other side? 🤔

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I really do think there has to be more to this incident than we know of.
Why would ANY PRIVATE business person annoy there customers without good cause.

Sadly we often hear of one side of a story and it's often a negative one.
Sadly you/us Brits complain on media more than we praise.

No disrespect to the OP, I'm sure it happened as he described it, I just wish we could hear the other side? 🤔
I could have said a lot more about this incident and I could have made negative comments on social media. I did neither. Neither do I intend to identify the site because the owner would not be able to reply. I am a smiley person and have never upset anyone on a site before, I have visited many. I posted on here only to demonstrate that not all sites are likely to be sympathetic to a “splash and dash”, which is relevant to the discussion. I can assure you that I did no more than empty my toilet and rubbish soon after arrival. I did it openly knowing the owner was nearby and I was astonished to be told this was unacceptable behaviour.

I can only suspect that the owner is anti any wild camping and was looking out for someone to vent her opinion on.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I could have said a lot more about this incident and I could have made negative comments on social media. I did neither. Neither do I intend to identify the site because the owner would not be able to reply. I am a smiley person and have never upset anyone on a site before, I have visited many. I posted on here only to demonstrate that not all sites are likely to be sympathetic to a “splash and dash”, which is relevant to the discussion. I can assure you that I did no more than empty my toilet and rubbish soon after arrival. I did it openly knowing the owner was nearby and I was astonished to be told this was unacceptable behaviour.

I can only suspect that the owner is anti any wild camping and was looking out for someone to vent her opinion on.
While I can understand her attitude towards wild camping, it still amazes me that she would take it out on a person who was staying for 2 nights?

She was probably just having a bad day! 🤔

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Sometimes, having a black tank can mean we have stayed somewhere with nowhere to empty and will deliberately pick our next stop so that we can empty when we arrive. It is just the way it is.

Our general rule is to arrive empty and leave empty but it is just not always possible

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Sometimes, having a black tank can mean we have stayed somewhere with nowhere to empty and will deliberately pick our next stop so that we can empty when we arrive. It is just the way it is.

Our general rule is to arrive empty and leave empty but it is just not always possible

That's strange, I can, but then I don't use Aires or have a large MH. 😄

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I can remember 4 times in the UK when I asked private campsites if I could 'Splash and Dash' for a fee, without staying. At 2 I paid a fee, at one it was put what you like in the charity box and the other said 'Nothing', but the girls got some Belgian chocs.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I really don’t understand why the facilities to dump a cassette are charging so much , typically see £5 quoted, if it discharges to a sewer they have zero costs , even if to a sess pit, that would be minimum 5m3 and cost about £300 to empty. Even if every user put 50 litres of toilet waste down their drain, chose that volume for easier maths , it would take 100 customers to fill it, £3 each

I suspect the owner only sees the £300 bill and doesn’t do the maths

Rubbish I can see being an issue as they have to pay for that as well, I am often horrified at how much rubbish motorhomers generate at rallies, a lot of which coujd be taken home , unless going on somewhere else of course

But question to OP, it sounds like you intend to wild camp what did you plan on doing with toilet waste ? We park off sites but always use a site every third night to refresh everything 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
horrified at how much rubbish motorhomers generate at rallies, a lot of which coujd be taken home , unless going on somewhere else of course
If no recycling we take that home, even brought back bags of recycling from France & Germany where Aires have had no recycling.
But question to OP, it sounds like you intend to wild camp what did you plan on doing with toilet waste ? We park off sites but always use a site every third night to refresh everything 👍
Plenty of public toilets & supermarket toilets fill the need.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back