Speed limits for a campervan classed as Van with Side windows .. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
S

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Why are we all so worried?
no worried per se ... but wrongly classified as a van rather a Motor Caravan may affect

1. Toll rates
2. Insurance
3. Resale value
4. VED
5. Speed limits

all debatable ..

but as I said not worried, but would like it correctly classified

would you like your Hymer A Class classified as a "van with side windows" ?

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
no worried per se ... but wrongly classified as a van rather a Motor Caravan may affect

1. Toll rates
2. Insurance
3. Resale value
4. VED
5. Speed limits

all debatable ..

but as I said not worried, but would like it correctly classified

would you like your Hymer A Class classified as a "van with side windows" ?
Exactly, as I said: We all know what we are doing, and what we own. Surely, it is not beyond the powers that be to be on the same page as us. Just a personal observation but, it if I was making the rules I would first consult with those who have to follow them.
Safe and happy travels.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
While it might be true that the DVLA classification does not define the speed limit for a vehicle, I suspect that the DVLA classification is likely to be taken into consideration if you have your photo taken by an ANPR speed camera vehicle.
So if you are travelling legally at 68mph on a dual carriageway and they take your photo, and issue you a NIP, then it will be a lot of hassle for you to prove that your vehicle is in fact a camper van and not a van with windows.
I would think it is not as onerous as you suggest, prosecutions for offences have to be able to prove all the elemnents of an offence are present before it could succeed. The police would have to show it was a goods vehicle and subject to the lower limits, it is not encumbent upon the vehicle owner to prove it is not. In replying to an NIP simply stating it is a motorcaravan places the onus upon the police to prove the original assertion that it is a goods vehicle, something which they would clearly fail to do. I worked with CPS for best part of 30 years, they often struggle with cast iron certainties so anything contentious usually sees file 13 quite quickly. Or more politically correct 'not in the public interest'.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I would think it is not as onerous as you suggest, prosecutions for offences have to be able to prove all the elemnents of an offence are present before it could succeed. The police would have to show it was a goods vehicle and subject to the lower limits, it is not encumbent upon the vehicle owner to prove it is not. In replying to an NIP simply stating it is a motorcaravan places the onus upon the police to prove the original assertion that it is a goods vehicle, something which they would clearly fail to do. I worked with CPS for best part of 30 years, they often struggle with cast iron certainties so anything contentious usually sees file 13 quite quickly. Or more politically correct 'not in the public interest'.
But, would it not be easier if the powers that be realised that they are behind the pace of life and get themselves up to speed with the enforceable legislation. I have been on this forum for a while now, and most of the posters seem to want to comply with, not cheat, the legislation in place. The police have enough to deal with IMHO.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
But, would it not be easier if the powers that be realised that they are behind the pace of life and get themselves up to speed with the enforceable legislation. I have been on this forum for a while now, and most of the posters seem to want to comply with, not cheat, the legislation in place. The police have enough to deal with IMHO.
To a certain extent that was my point, they would not pursue cases where there is no supporting evidence and I wholly agree that we are rapidly getting left behind by technology which would dispel these anomalies almost immediately. Joined up thinking across government agencies is sadly lacking, not always just due to funding issues, some are deliberately obstructive in attempts to preserve their own empires. Only got to look at the latest reports of government in-fighting that is coming out of the covid enquiry.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I'm sure I read in one of the magazines, pre covid, that one of the major manufacturers.....Danbury maybe 🤔 ....🤷‍♂️, was struggling to get Van's registered correctly
If a big,long established firm was finding it difficult then what chance does any one else have

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Perhaps by promoting like minded views and constructive suggestions we can bring about some changes to the "cottage industry " that seems to prevail around/about out hobby in both legislation and quality of suppliers?
Safe travels all.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I recently posted the my Fiat Ducato Timberland PVC was incorrectly registered as a panel van.

I applied to the DVLA to have it changed to Motor Caravan, the correct classification. It was rejected and returned classed as Van with Side Windows..

Only just realised, that this has an impact on speed limits..

Motorhomes or Motor Caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) speed limits are same as a car. >

• 30mph in built-up areas
  • 60mph on single carriageways
  • 70mph on dual carriageways
  • 70mph on motorways
Vans weighing up to 3.5 tonnes

• 50mph on single carriageways
  • 60mph on dual carriageways
  • 70mph on motorway

Another difference, albeit small, is that the toll on the Dartford bridge for a van is £3.00
for a car or motorhome it is £2.50

There may well be other anomalies I haven't found out yet ..
As old rat said no it doesn't. You dhould also pull the dart charge lot to correct it. Min looks like a van has no windows and is registered on my dart account as a campervan. 2 quid I think I pay?
Perhaps inform the Dartford crossing company, I was charged £3.00 the last time I crossed.
It is up to you to tell them.
If you are travelling at legal speeds for a Motor caravan the case is very much that you’ll get an ‘auto issued ticket (such as gantry cameras) - the upshot is normally, sending details of your conversion to the issuing authority will result in a revocation.

It’s wrong, it’s a PITA, but it happens.

Police still refer to the DVLA (incorrectly) to identify the applicable speed limit.

The DVLA meanwhile has had its knuckles rapped for its indecision and lack of clarity and consistency in classifying Motor Caravans, despite them conforming to the DVLA’s own requirements.

None of this actually helps the poor blighters with incorrectly classified vehicles.
As said above you just tell them it complies as a motorcaravan znd to cancel said ticket or you will see them in court,+costs for all expenses when you do & complete with the letter stating it can travel at the higher speeds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
I'm sure I read in one of the magazines, pre covid, that one of the major manufacturers.....Danbury maybe 🤔 ....🤷‍♂️, was struggling to get Van's registered correctly
If a big,long established firm was finding it difficult then what chance does any one else have
Some years ago we took one of our cars to Germany and registered it there whilst we lived there. When we returned we still had the same car and applied to re-register it in the UK. Somewhere buried around page three of the application is the question 'has the vehicle been previously registered in the UK?' As the answer was clearly 'Yes' that question should have been at the top of page one, avoiding all the pointless entries between page one and the relevant question. Why is common-sense so difficult to find? The car was even re-issued with the original VRM and to the original address as we kept the UK house.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Regarding the speed limits for a van with windows, I sent an email to the department of transpor concerning my VW T6.1 six seater with windows and here is their reply.

John.

IMG_1255.png

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
I recently posted the my Fiat Ducato Timberland PVC was incorrectly registered as a panel van.

I applied to the DVLA to have it changed to Motor Caravan, the correct classification. It was rejected and returned classed as Van with Side Windows..

Only just realised, that this has an impact on speed limits..

Motorhomes or Motor Caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) speed limits are same as a car. >

• 60mph on single carriageways
  • 70mph on dual carriageways
  • 70mph on motorways
Vans weighing up to 3.5 tonnes

• 50mph on single carriageways
  • 60mph on dual carriageways
  • 70mph on motorway

Another difference, albeit small, is that the toll on the Dartford bridge for a van is £3.00
for a car or motorhome it is £2.50

There may well be other anomalies I haven't found out yet ..
It potentially raises questions under GDPR where personal data on a data subject is required to be accurate, relevant and proportionate. If any public body either negligently or deliberately mis-records personal data they can be penalised and required to correct/delete where appropriate. The problem here is the generic description is true but not entirely accurate, to the man in the street it looks like a van with windows! The technical differences would only be known to an owner or the body responsible for the description in the first place. It does appear that agencies seem to duck out of tricky problems that cannot be solved by pressing a button. We suffer a little from the French legislative problems that we tend to create new law on top of old law and don't bother repealing some of the out of date stuff, hence we finish up with new defintions that do not always align with old ones.

OP
OP
S

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
My "van with windows" .. have now submitted a new application to the DVLA with 16 photos showing all they ask for inside and out, and completed the check list for the application

not holding my breath ..

just two of the 16

IMG_1291.jpeg
IMG_1290.jpeg

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
They won't change it.

Policy was altered in 2019. Virtually no post-registration vans get motor caravan on the V5 now.

According to DVLA, the body type is the 'appearance in traffic', and yes, I know it looks like one to you and me, but not to the DVLA!

The problem is the V5. There is not another line or category where the internal features can be listed. So, ANPR cameras use the body type, and we get the possibility of speeding tickets when we should not.

Police forces will cancel them if you appeal and demonstrate they are wrongly given, I.e. That you are a motor caravan, unladen weight below 3.05t, and that passenger vehicle speed limits apply.

All the insurance companies are up to speed (!) on it so should be no issue.

Tax and LEZs however...........

Last edited:

DJIT

Free Member
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
No, not unnecessary, as you were breaking the law and endangering others
Missed this earlier, but just to clarify that I was doing one of those things yes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
success... new V5c arrived in the post today...

Motor Caravan

View attachment 832430
Sorry to be the purveyor of bad news but section J is still marked as a goods vehicle N1. It should be M1. Don't feel too despondent, it took me 3 year and 3 months for the DVLA to get my V5 correct. Finally got it sorted by using the complaints procedure. And no explanation or apology for the time taken.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Sorry to be the purveyor of bad news but section J is still marked as a goods vehicle N1. It should be M1. Don't feel too despondent, it took me 3 year and 3 months for the DVLA to get my V5 correct. Finally got it sorted by using the complaints procedure. And no explanation or apology for the time taken.
I understood that N1 / M1 was fixed at first registration, and could not be changed, no matter what else changed?

Was yours originally a mistake at registration or did they change the category after conversion?

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
The DVLA have changed the status of the vehicle to a motor caravan so it clearly isn't a goods carrying vehicle up to 3.5T. Internal pictures will determine that.
My V5 section J and O towing was blank . Had the van up plated and the F1 section came back blank along with Section J and O. The covering letter explained what needed to be done but the DVLA still ignored the letter. I lost the will to fight but on the anniversary for getting the van, each year I would start the whole process again.

OP
OP
S

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
to be honest not particularly bothered ..

Main thing is, it has bee converted to the DLVLA requirements and now says 'motor caravan', so when I come to sell it has the correct body type on the V5 for any prospective buyer to see.

"Light Goods Vehicle" is the taxation class.. on the V5 .. not the body type

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back