Speed limits for a campervan classed as Van with Side windows .. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
I recently posted the my Fiat Ducato Timberland PVC was incorrectly registered as a panel van.

I applied to the DVLA to have it changed to Motor Caravan, the correct classification. It was rejected and returned classed as Van with Side Windows..

Only just realised, that this has an impact on speed limits..

Motorhomes or Motor Caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) speed limits are same as a car. >

• 30mph in built-up areas
  • 60mph on single carriageways
  • 70mph on dual carriageways
  • 70mph on motorways
Vans weighing up to 3.5 tonnes

• 30mph in built-up areas
  • 50mph on single carriageways
  • 60mph on dual carriageways
  • 70mph on motorway

Another difference, albeit small, is that the toll on the Dartford bridge for a van is £3.00
for a car or motorhome it is £2.50

There may well be other anomalies I haven't found out yet ..

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
The DVLA classification has nowt to do with your speed limit. If your converted van has all the necessary alterations to make it a campervan ((motor caravan) then it is and Motor caravan speed limits apply.

Unless of course it weighs over 3.05t Unladen weight which most do.

If you don’t believe me, read the attached letter from the DVLA which admits the same.

IMG_5458.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Apologies if it came across as such.
I’d not intended to be rude

It’s a real problem as it is a very common experience.
apology accepted..

it is also in the Gov speed limit page

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJIT

Free Member
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
While it might be true that the DVLA classification does not define the speed limit for a vehicle, I suspect that the DVLA classification is likely to be taken into consideration if you have your photo taken by an ANPR speed camera vehicle.
So if you are travelling legally at 68mph on a dual carriageway and they take your photo, and issue you a NIP, then it will be a lot of hassle for you to prove that your vehicle is in fact a camper van and not a van with windows.

OP
OP
S

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
While it might be true that the DVLA classification does not define the speed limit for a vehicle, I suspect that the DVLA classification is likely to be taken into consideration if you have your photo taken by an ANPR speed camera vehicle.
So if you are travelling legally at 68mph on a dual carriageway and they take your photo, and issue you a NIP, then it will be a lot of hassle for you to prove that your vehicle is in fact a camper van and not a van with windows.
this would be my concern..

DJIT

Free Member
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
I had my VW T6 reclassified to a camper van about 5 years back and it wasn't too difficult at the time.
Have they changed the rules in some way or are they getting funny about doing this now?

OP
OP
S

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
I had my VW T6 reclassified to a camper van about 5 years back and it wasn't too difficult at the time.
Have they changed the rules in some way or are they getting funny about doing this now?
don't know.. I should really try again but they said the decision was final and no appeal would be heard..

I don' know if it was incorrectly classed when new.. or only when I registered it..the previous owner was disabled and it had a tax exemption which had to be changed when i registered.

It was a fully converted by Timberland.. and meets all requirements of the DVLA criteria ..

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017

If you are travelling at legal speeds for a Motor caravan the case is very much that you’ll get an ‘auto issued ticket (such as gantry cameras) - the upshot is normally, sending details of your conversion to the issuing authority will result in a revocation.

It’s wrong, it’s a PITA, but it happens.

Police still refer to the DVLA (incorrectly) to identify the applicable speed limit.

The DVLA meanwhile has had its knuckles rapped for its indecision and lack of clarity and consistency in classifying Motor Caravans, despite them conforming to the DVLA’s own requirements.

None of this actually helps the poor blighters with incorrectly classified vehicles.

DJIT

Free Member
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
I'm still smarting from a ticket I got around 7 years ago from a gantry camera where I was caught at 76mph on a fairly clear, dry motorway in the daytime in good visibility in my car.
Yes I accept I was above the 70mph speed limit, but I think it was a bit unnecessary.

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
Am I missing something? Surely many PVCs will have a mass in service of less than 3050kg. The mass in service is not the same as mass in running order. The mass in service definition is rather fuzzy, as indeed are several other definitions, but it doesn't include the weight of fuel, a driver etc.

My 6m PVC has a mass in service of 2936kg as defined in the V5.

OP
OP
S

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
For reference
Here’s the criteria for a Motor caravan.

Doesn’t actually matter what the DVLA Classes it as, if your vehicle complies which these requirements, it IS a Motor Caravan.

Im going to have another go, using the Gov check list and all the photos they require ..

Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
My mass in service on V5 is 3125. My Mass in Running Order on CoC is 2898 and 3125 for mass in service, same as on V5.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I'm still smarting from a ticket I got around 7 years ago from a gantry camera where I was caught at 76mph on a fairly clear, dry motorway in the daytime in good visibility in my car.
Yes I accept I was above the 70mph speed limit, but I think it was a bit unnecessary.
No, not unnecessary, as you were breaking the law and endangering others

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
As an aside, what are the TAX bands for..
Converted van (still a van on v5)
Converted van (van with windows)
And I take it if the dvla give you campervan status it’s the same as a moho?
Also are there any differences in the above for +3.5t?
I’m sure I read somewhere that a guy was trying to get his converted van status changed and his tax (RFL) was +£700🤷‍♂️

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
How many times does this come up.

The DVLA classification has nowt to do with your speed limit. If your converted van has all the necessary alterations to make it a campervan ((motor caravan) then it is and Motor caravan speed limits apply.

Unless of course it weighs over 3.05t Unladen weight which most do.

If you don’t believe me, read the attached letter from the DVLA which admits the same.

View attachment 823997
Entered in error

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It seems to me that DVLA has really got its knickers in a twist over this issue. And saying you have no right of appeal proves it. They cannot defend themselves. Another side of it is whether it is a people carrier, with 3 or more forward facing seats. My van only has two, but it was built as a motorhome and could not be described as a PLG.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Yes, they are getting increasingly funny about this now.

5 years ago a van with windows was a van with windows.

Now even some of the professional motorhome builders are running into problems with the DVLA saying that their motorhomes are classed as a 'van with windows' despite them very obviously not being a van (unable to take cargo or more than 4 passengers)

In order to pass the DVLA test to be a motorhome today you will need:
Windows
Internal layout as a motorhome (Including a table fixed to the floor and beds)
Max 4 belted seats
A full length awning
Decals suitable for a motorhome (strictly no 'stealth' motorhomes)
I'd even say it probably has to be white

1697560666964.png

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Yes, they are getting increasingly funny about this now.

5 years ago a van with windows was a van with windows.

Now even some of the professional motorhome builders are running into problems with the DVLA saying that their motorhomes are classed as a 'van with windows' despite them very obviously not being a van (unable to take cargo or more than 4 passengers)

In order to pass the DVLA test to be a motorhome today you will need:
Windows
Internal layout as a motorhome (Including a table fixed to the floor and beds)
Max 4 belted seats
A full length awning
Decals suitable for a motorhome (strictly no 'stealth' motorhomes)
I'd even say it probably has to be white

View attachment 824140
That’s funny, my ‘Van with Windows‘ fits that description ( except ours 2 seats) 🦦🦦🦦🦦🦦

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think if a van it is not allowed in the third lane of a motorway , not that you would know nowadays

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Why are we all so worried?
We are in leisure vehicles and, speaking personally, just roll along enjoying the views. So saying, the DVLA guidelines are far from clear IMHO.
Safe and happy travels all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back