Speed camera location legality in EU (1 Viewer)

Gus

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Hi all. Have just bought a Tom Tom Camper Max prior to a France/Spain trip. Will the sat nav need to have speed camera data turned off manually for each country or is it done automatically by the Tom Tom sat nav. I think I heard somewhere that the term "safety zones" may be used instead to identify a general camera location.
Thanks for any clarification on this.

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
You will get a warning when you are about to enter a stretch of road which is classified as a safety zone.As you drive alomg this safety zone you will no doubt pass a speed camerašŸ˜‰

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My TomTom GO 50 has never flagged anything up when using it in France. I doubt that anyone would know I was using it.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I saw something a few years back that said the French were no longer giving the information out about speed camera locations. If so the satnav mapping may not be correct anyway. Some of the cameras are a bit stealth

I find it's simpler just to stick to the speed limits which solves all problems. I am retired so no need to rush, and my motorhome would never be mistaken for a sports car either.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I saw something a few years back that said the French were no longer giving the information out about speed camera locations. If so the satnav mapping may not be correct anyway. Some of the cameras are a bit stealth

I find it's simpler just to stick to the speed limits which solves all problems. I am retired so no need to rush, and my motorhome would never be mistaken for a sports car either.

I agree with that, but get annoyed when in France and in my RHD MH the bushes/trees obscure the village sign, which is where the 50kph limit starts. I often only see it when I flash past it at 60kph and too late to slow if there were a camera immediately after the sign.

Thankfully my passenger usually alerts my from her better sight-line, but it means two of us have to be watching the road and nobody enjoys the scenery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Hi all. Have just bought a Tom Tom Camper Max prior to a France/Spain trip. Will the sat nav need to have speed camera data turned off manually for each country or is it done automatically by the Tom Tom sat nav. I think I heard somewhere that the term "safety zones" may be used instead to identify a general camera location.
Thanks for any clarification on this.
I noticed that....the "safety zone" thing when we drove from Dunkirk ferry to Belgium.... However I'm pretty good with speed limits everywhere I drive..... In Belgium the cameras are indicated on Tom Tom.....I use the "go" app and plan on the laptop before journeys so the Routes are saved and sync'd across to the phone....

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I was informed by a friendly gendarme (I think) when I was involved with the D-Day 70th Anniversary that Sat-Navs CAPABLE of indicating speed-camera's (even if that function was turned off as mine was) is illegal.

Not sure if that's true but it might be worth checking especially with these new super-duper stealth camera's they now have?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
One way, or another, I'm wanna get ya

- Blondie

There's no hurry, drive slower

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
This is a comment from the Tomtom Website re Speed Cameras in France.

TomTomā€™s service in France is certified to be 100% legal. Instead of warning for exact locations of cameras, TomTom warns for Danger Zones around any potential danger, including cameras.

You may find that when you are warned about a Danger Zone in France you may not see a Cameras along the section of road or if there is one it may be well after the warning.

Jun 6, 2022
Bottesford, Scunthorpe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I may be wrong but I thought it was only Speed camera detectors that were illegal, those that pick up the mobile cameras, not Sat nav's that tell you where the fixed ones are that are kind of common knowledge being in the same place all the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I was informed by a friendly gendarme (I think) when I was involved with the D-Day 70th Anniversary that Sat-Navs CAPABLE of indicating speed-camera's (even if that function was turned off as mine was) is illegal.

Not sure if that's true but it might be worth checking especially with these new super-duper stealth camera's they now have?
How would they know? unless the head cook & bottle washer in charge is with them they have no right of entry in to the vehicle without a warrant in France.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
How would they know? unless the head cook & bottle washer in charge is with them they have no right of entry in to the vehicle without a warrant in France.

He was at the Ceremony and his car was in front of us. :giggle:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
This sounds a bit like the banning of dash cams use in Austria, I wonder who if anyone has ever been pulled and fined for having a dash cam turned on over there?
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back