Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 24, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 746
Exp
Since 2019
I have a gaslow system with 2 x 6kg tanks, I went Spain earlier this year touring round so had no issues with filling my system however I would like to stay on sites for an extended period so considering if I could adapt my system to utilise local gas bottles that I could exchange on sites as opposed to leaving the site to fill up. Cheers Dean

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Yes you can.
Seen it done.
All you need is a suitable pigtail pipe with a long hose.
I think they are sold by GasLow

That way you can get one of the big (30 litre) gas bottles and leave it outside the wan plugged into your gas system

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Basildog will best advise but some people put a regulator onto their bottle and feed the gas into the external bbq point and turn off their locker gas bottles. I know there are issues about maximum hose length etc but I have seen it done.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Basildog will best advise but some people put a regulator onto their bottle and feed the gas into the external bbq point and turn off their locker gas bottles. I know there are issues about maximum hose length etc but I have seen it done.

I wouldn’t do that through the BBQ outlet.

I do use a bottle adapter (not a regulator) which fits onto a Repsol bottle and then feeds in through the external underslung tank connection. Works perfectly.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
This is what you need..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Thanks everyone like the gaslow solution
I will only give the correct advice which unfortunately isn’t what the majority want to hear .
There are roughly 4 methods of connecting an external gas cylinder to a Leisure vehicle’s .regularly used by owners but only one is correct and is in fact specifically mentioned in BS EN 1949:2021
1. Extra long pigtails connected to the regulator with free standing external gas cylinder, the maximum permitted pigtail length is 750mm to prevent reliquefaction and regulator failure .
Longer pigtails are available but shouldn’t be used .
2. Connection of an external gas cylinder through a gas outlet (BBQ point ) all manufacturers specifically state these are outlets only, If doing this the gas supply is now probably the incorrect pressure and normally unsuitable cheap single stage bottle mounted regulators without a PRV or proper over pressure protection are used .
3. Connection of an external gas cylinder to a refillable LPG filler point with a high pressure hose and unregulated cylinder adapter , again this is widely done but not a recommended method of connection.
4. The only correct method is as follows , using an external connection the supply pressure will not be lower that 0.3 bar and not exceed 2.2 bar , there are other requirements too , this is an example of the correct equipment.

Last edited:
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Please forgive me for high jacking this thread, but I didn't find another more suitable one and thought against starting a new one so as not to upset anyone.

My situation is a little different and would like to know if anyone has done this before. As you all know, We live in Gran Canaria, we have 2 Cepsa propane gas bottles of 11kg each. Because the fridge is a tri one, when stopped and not on EHU it uses the gas and after a couple of weeks of testing and measuring it seems, that at best, one bottle lasts 12 to 15 days. Now I have been informed that the propane bottles in mainland Spain are not the same as we have in the Canaries (totally absurd) and in September we are travelling to Spain for a couple of months. I know that the answer is to have refillable tanks for LPG but the place that can fit this will not be able to do the work before we leave. So, thinking this over, I guess I would need to travel with one full Canarian version bottle and buy a Spanish bottle on arriving and then juggle between the two and try no to run out. I understand I will need an adaptor hose for the Spanish bottle. Does this make sense or have I got it all wrong? Sorry for the long post 😀

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
They have cepsa in Spain so can't see why you just can't swap it. If not use an external bottle with an adapter hose and hook it up to your regulator.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
They have cepsa in Spain so can't see why you just can't swap it. If not use an external bottle with an adapter hose and hook it up to your regulator.
Well apparently, as they are different connections, the will not just swap it over which is why I have this dilemma...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back