Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We are coming towards the end of our tour of the Continent.

We started out from Roscoff on Friday the 13th:Eeek: September and drifted South for a week or so before hovering North of the Pyrenees for another week because the Costa Brava had, 'Lightening, lightening, very very frightening'

It was while levitating a la France that we met an English couple who were travelling North at the end of their jollies.

They warned doom and the end of the World as we know it as far as motorhoming in Spain was concerned.

They went on to state that there were no 'wilding' sites anymore and they had had an awful time

So, it was with trepidation that we christened our Fulli tag and crossed the border into Spain.

Well, after almost four weeks, I only have one word to say regarding what we were told.
"Spherical's"
What a load of tosh we were fed.

It's nearly three years since we ventured South and what a difference in Spain in that time.
I've lost count of the number of times I've consulted S4S and read, "Newly constructed" or "Brilliant facilities." Everywhere we've been, (and we've been right to the desert of Almeria and West, over the border and back into and out of Portugal), the Spanish have been constructing and creating Aires, or Area's as they call them, in the smallest, tiniest little villages, sometimes in the middle of nowhere.

Now it may be that the couple we met might be into self flagellation and prefer to park up with no facilities whatsoever but, to arrive in a remote place with all the means to top up the clean and dump the dirty gets my vote overtime.
No names, no pack drill but currently we have overnighted on a new area, North of Valladolid that has ALL the facilities, (INCLUDING ELECTRICITY!!! ) The cost, Nothing, Nada, Zilch.
It's next to a village that has all things necessary and a 72hrs limit. (Edit)
We've already has a visit by the Guardia so it's secure as well.

Spain? You're doing yourself proud.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I get your point Derek, but in a couple of weeks, there will be no (reasonable priced) campsite space anywhere on the South and SE Spanish coast until end of March ‘25.

Inland you’ll still be fine, but the coast is booked from November onwards!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We found quite a few brand new places back in April. Ok, they are not wilding but as Derek says, either free or at 10 - 15 euros with EHU and showers/toilets very acceptable to us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
We found quite a few brand new places back in April. Ok, they are not wilding but as Derek says, either free or at 10 - 15 euros with EHU and showers/toilets very acceptable to us.

Great and easy time to tour and enjoy all these new Autocaravannas Areas. Sadly all full Nov-Mar! 😢

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
There was space at the La Cala aire every day we have passed in the last week. The Fuengirola one next to the castle looked pretty full.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No names, no pack drill but currently we have overnighted on a new area, North of Valladolid that has ALL the facilities, (INCLUDING ELECTRICITY!!! ) The cost, Nothing, Nada, Zilch.
It's next to a village that has all things necessary and a 72hrs limit.
UK has a lot to lean but they won't, they would rather we go and spend our money abroad, so we will oblige them.
I get your point Derek, but in a couple of weeks, there will be no (reasonable priced) campsite space anywhere on the South and SE Spanish coast until end of March ‘25.
We normally go September - October and late March-April early May, used to go in Feb but family commitments changed that (grandkids birthdays). Now prefer April, not so busy and warmer.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Inland you’ll still be fine, but the coast is booked from November onwards!
But, Dahling,

Decembrr, (sic) it's Barbados,
and Jan/ Feb it's Cuba so, frankly, I don't..... :dance2:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We go Mid-February to May every year. We move around a lot and mainly stay in the south, but we've never had a problem with finding somewhere good to stay - in spite of all the warnings last year that everywhere was 'rammed' and we wouldn't find anywhere.
I hope I'm not tempting fate for this winter, but we've booked our pet-friendly cabin and we'll be off again in February with no campsite bookings.
Living life on the edge 😄😄😄.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
We go Mid-February to May every year. We move around a lot and mainly stay in the south, but we've never had a problem with finding somewhere good to stay - in spite of all the warnings last year that everywhere was 'rammed' and we wouldn't find anywhere.
I hope I'm not tempting fate for this winter, but we've booked our pet-friendly cabin and we'll be off again in February with no campsite bookings.
Living life on the edge 😄😄😄.

Most of the period of your trip is fine as the snowbirds leave from end of Feb onwards.

Nov and Dec is proving a bit of a challenge for me at the moment. I’d rather not book but that ended up being a bit of a fail last year in late Nov and Dec, so it’s forcing me to plan ahead a bit. Really struggling to find space…

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Spain has for sure got its act together...last year we stayed over 200 or more nights on Camperstops...mainly free or a small charge...
Being by ourselves was common, we got quite used to this, when we are travelling to our next overnighter, we play..Guess how many tonight?...
We often ask who provides to funding for these wonderful areas that appear in the smallest of communities...
Although we live in Spain and have done for many years, we no longer have the desire to travel long distances to find anything or anywhere better....we have it all on our doorstep....Viva España..🇪🇦🇪🇺

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Most of the period of your trip is fine as the snowbirds leave from end of Feb onwards.

Nov and Dec is proving a bit of a challenge for me at the moment. I’d rather not book but that ended up being a bit of a fail last year in late Nov and Dec, so it’s forcing me to plan ahead a bit. Really struggling to find space…
We went lat winter January to March and found places but not alwa6s 1st or 3nd options. Got a couple of late cancellations plus pot luck and a lot of beach parks etc. Most sites allow you to use services for a fee and inland slightly easier.

Planning on same this winter so don't worry, if you want a particular site book a year ahead.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back