South of France trip

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
1991 swift kontiki
Exp
4years
Hi , when you get near Narbonne en route to Spain, go 50 miles inland to Carcassonne. Its a world heritage medievel city and there is a camp site a short walk below the city walls.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I'm surprised at all the people that dislike Nice. I had 5 days there last February, (in a hotel), the old town is fabulous. Definitely worth a day trip in by train or boat. Probably not as nice in the summer when the tourists arrive but the OP doesn't say when he is going.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
So you see, you can't go wrong! We have only been once. Didn't plan anything. Had a great time. Enjoy.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Nuevo II 2010
Exp
Since 1993
Would recommend getting an ACSI card for €15 as it gives you access to a lot of campsites at rates much lower than normal. Their app is useful too for locating campsites near any particular town with a good description of amenities.

Reactions: DBK
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Searchforsites subscription also for stopovers on way down. ACSI great as mentioned for sites, more importantly is ability to search on dates to see which ones are open...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Haven't been to Seyssel but had the aire there recommended to me as "the best I've ever stayed on" whilst I was at Tournus this year.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
s
Exp
Since 2007
Hi , when you get near Narbonne en route to Spain, go 50 miles inland to Carcassonne. Its a world heritage medievel city and there is a camp site a short walk below the city walls.
It’s a great place for a stopover but the campsite now has a minimum stay policy and not acsi any longer the aire right next to the campsite is good.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
I can't remember now but I know that the bar we sat outside was where he wrote a lot of it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
There is a huge, often forgotten, part of France in the bottom right corner. Say, a 100 mile radius around Montelimar. The Drome region and Alpes Provence are my favourite..

For me the left hand side below Brittany is dull (IMO) until the Gulf D'Arcachon (which is great) and then dull again (flat forest) until Biarritz.

Our favourite site is now in Ares - normal French fishing village with oodles of oysters with fab cycling in the forests and across to the Atlantic beaches.
We haven’t stayed in Ares, but it is just above Biscarosse which is our favourite on that coast-the aire there is in the forest at the back of the fabulous beac. Will have a proper look at Ares when we go down in the sprin. Mimisan is also nice but there is no shade in the Aire, and further down Cap Breton is great but the aire behind the beach gets VERY busy.

OP
OP
P

POH

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
POH As said before, I too, would give a miss to Canne and Nice. Motohomes not very welcome and crowdy... although it is now winter, so probably a bit less!
Wasn't thinking of taking van in to them , we are looking to hire a car in frejus , so are they still worth going to maybe just to say I've been .

OP
OP
P

POH

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Might save that for another trip .

OP
OP
P

POH

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I'm surprised at all the people that dislike Nice. I had 5 days there last February, (in a hotel), the old town is fabulous. Definitely worth a day trip in by train or boat. Probably not as nice in the summer when the tourists arrive but the OP doesn't say when he is going.
April May ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010

We we’re in Nice in February for the carnival (also in a hotel) and loved it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Wasn't thinking of taking van in to them , we are looking to hire a car in frejus , so are they still worth going to maybe just to say I've been .
Yes, it is nice. Famous places like promenade des Anglais... As an English ( or British) person, it is a must. See where the Film Festival takes place, or just feel the atmosphere of The Côte D'Azur. You also have the specific local food , the flowers, and the perfums! And of course the fond memories you will make with pics! 😊

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
Don't dismiss French public transport to get into larger towns/cities. We certaibly don't drive in such places but visits by train or sometimes bus solves all the parking, getting lost, can't have a drink with lunch problems. French public transport in our experience is very efficient. Also an opportunity to experience French life.
Sue

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I agree - the port and the Old Town are lovely for a wander - as is the Old Town of Cannes.

BDM

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
We went from Cassis to Bonnieux in Provence. Little municipal site at the bottom of the village. Its' where Peter Mayle wrote the book 'A Year in Provence@.

Marquis de Sade lived at the Château de Lacoste for a time, which overlooks the village of Bonnieux.

AGT

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2021
Hi

My first post since joining. After too long away from camper vans/caravans, we rejoined in the class of 2021 and have learned so much from this forum which has greatly added to our camper van travels.

I just wanted to stick up for the Eastern end of the French Med. I agree that in high season it’s crowded and motorhomes are not made particularly welcome. Out of season it’s completely different. Picture below is a German owned Hymer parked up on the beach between Villneuve Loubet and Antibes in the last week of October. It was there for at least three nights without turning a wheel.

There is a lot of parking on or near the coast to accommodate all the summer visitors. Much of this parking has no charge in low season and even some of the height barriers are opened up. In our village (Tourrettes Sur Loup) the small aire is usually full of lifers. However, you can park and stay without charge in the Madeleine car park across the road from the aire. The sole part-time police municipale officer is not interested. He only gets animated on market day- Wednesday morning. While I would not park overnight in front of a no overnight parking sign, I think that there is much more tolerance of out of season camping partly because there is plenty of room and partly because so few campsites are open.

The village of Gourdon (truly picture postcard) up the hillside a bit midway between Nice and Cannes has two free parking areas - one of which has a perfect view out onto the bay. We parked there at the end of May and were on our own and again at the end of August when there were a couple of other ’vans. Day and night pictures below. If anyone is tempted to try Gourdon, I would recommend very strongly approaching from Pres du Lac, not from Pont du Loup. The former is a much better road, the latter has some tight spots.

Cannes has miles of lovely sandy beaches. You can park along the promenade easily in the low season and although you have to pay for you couldn’t ask for a better spot.

I agree with the suggestion to use public transport instead of a hire car. Nice is not for the non-gladiatorial driver! Although you can quit and park (car only) at the massive Cap 3000 shopping centre car park (first three hours free) and continue into the City along the Promenade des Anglais by foot or bus.

Apart from the beaches and coastal towns there is also so much to see and enjoy in the chain of perched villages which sit above the coastline. The sea also looks even deeper blue from up there.

Andrew

Attachments

• EBAF8D7C-F08A-4F1D-BB3F-BB503C9D3410.jpeg
    EBAF8D7C-F08A-4F1D-BB3F-BB503C9D3410.jpeg
    899.4 KB · Views: 52
  • E2D3DF1F-7D03-4822-A661-B0F75F8885AD.jpeg
    E2D3DF1F-7D03-4822-A661-B0F75F8885AD.jpeg
    670.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 86340B4D-FC7D-486F-9EB2-43E048E8370F.jpeg
    86340B4D-FC7D-486F-9EB2-43E048E8370F.jpeg
    532.6 KB · Views: 48
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft
Exp
Since 2020
It’s a great place for a stopover but the campsite now has a minimum stay policy and not acsi any longer the aire right next to the campsite is good.
The campsite at Carcassone does have a minimum 3 days if you try to book on line. However, if you turn up after 12.30 or when they open after lunch, you can book less if they have any pitches available, as we did - although we ended up staying 3 nights in the end!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Haven't been to Seyssel but had the aire there recommended to me as "the best I've ever stayed on" whilst I was at Tournus this year.
Its good but not quite that good. I think it has gone to camping car park as well now so you have to pay. 10 kms down the road is Serrieres which is equally as nice with bar and Plan D'Eau and organised free parking

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
s
Exp
Since 2007
Its good but not quite that good. I think it has gone to camping car park as well now so you have to pay. 10 kms down the road is Serrieres which is equally as nice with bar and Plan D'Eau and organised free parking
according to google maps there is around 170 km between Seyssel and serrieres?

i could be looking at the wrong towns i guess.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
The village of Gourdon (truly picture postcard) up the hillside a bit midway between Nice and Cannes has two free parking areas
An excellent shout for away from the beach area and looking over the whole bay. Parking up on the grassy option overlooking the Med from up high is a great stopover. A little crowded in the actual tarmac aire and gorges du loup not very far away (as the crow flies)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
We stayed at an ACSI site near Nice in April a couple of times and loved it. We took the bus into Nice from there so able to enjoy a wine or two with lunch etc. The site we stayed at was Camping La Vieille Ferme, Villeneuve Loubet Plage. There is another site (can’t remember the name) from where you can take the train into Nice which we plan to try as we will have the dog with us next time and dogs allowed on trains. We found Nice lovely to walk round, sit on the blue benches and enjoy people watching, the market was good and we visited the Chagall gallery. Good restaurants around too.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur.
Exp
Since 2019
We went to oradour-sur-glane on our way up through France back home. I think it's worth a detour.
We stayed in the aire there but I think some people stayed in the parking area for the visiters.

Reactions: f6c
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
Another vote for mango, I got one this year. Only used it in France so far, but going to Spain for Xmas.
We came across a great Aire in September in Carro on the coast west of Marseille, a fabulous spot in a small fishing village with bars and restaurants , daily fish market right outside the Aire. If you’re lucky you can park right on the seafront.One of our favourites so far. Check it out
Yes great spot isn’t it , with easy access by train into Marseille knowing you’re van is secure

OP
OP
P

POH

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Thanks to everyone who came up with all the suggestions / might be time to get the darts out and take pot luck .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back