OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Hi sweet caroline, welcome. I have been Motorhoming for over 35 years and can probably count the number of sites we have stayed on, on my fingers in all that time. I just don’t like sites, they are certainly not safer than anywhere else. Anybody can walk on them and I doubt somebody breaking into a van would be challenged if they were brazen enough. I might add that I am 75 and my wife 81.
I second the fitting of a Vanbitz Growler alarm we always set ours as soon as we stop. The inside alarm sensors can easily be switched off. Go for the full system with the four blue lights, one on each side. As a member here you can get a discount if you register with them. We even threw away the alarm that was already fitted on our current van, in favor of fitting a new Growler.
I think additional security locks/deadbolts are essential as the original ones are usually useless.
Once you have secured your van, and it will cost a fair amount of money todo so, you need to consider how you park ”Off Grid” note the word PARK. That is what you are doing. Nothing outside the van at all. No chairs, tables, ramps, buckets etc. If you are on a picnic spot with a table then by all means use it but, lock your door while outside. Even in France or Spain if we are Sitting outside on an Aire where it is appropriate we lock the door, it is so easy to doze off or get distracted by somebody.
When you park Offgrid always face your exit so that if it becomes uncomfortable you can just drive away without having to turn round. So saying we have only once had to do that but only because the local lads started using the car park as a racetrack.
We once had some drunks banging on the side of the van in Spain on NewYearsEve, so I pressed the panic button to set off the alarm and they scarpered immediately, there was a puddle outside in the morning so I suspect one of them wet himself when the very loud Growler went off.
All the above sounds scary but it is only to make sure that you are prepared. What you fear will probably never happen, the precautions are for your peace of mind and comfort.
We have met very many single women travelers.
If when you try it, you don’t like it, then try sites until you are more comfortable. Weekend rallies with the Camping and Caravanning Club and the Motor Caravan Club are good places to spend the weekend when Park-Ups can be limited. Pub Stops are certainly good although some Pubs are now charging high prices so you need to ask. Park4Night is certainly worth having but check recent comments. It is worth the €9 a year. It is free to install and use but the payment helps them and add’s a bit of usability.
We rarely spend more than one night when wilding, except in Norway where it is almost encouraged. We have just spent 90 days traveling in Europe and Scandinavia and only three of those were paid, one at a Marina to do washing and a Stelplatz/Aire in Germany which our German friend recommended which was €3 a night in the honesty box.
Sorry this reply has become a bit long, don’t hesitate to ask as many questions as you like.
Oh! One last thing, we also stay on Motorway services which most people disagree with and have never had a problem in any country. But our Van is a Fortress with EVERY opening alarmed so we are quite comfortable doing so.
So kind you to take the time and trouble to reply, I really appreciate you time to put pen to email ! haha, I hope by next year me and "Renee", will feel more comfortable with each other, as each time I take her out, there is always a drama of some kind, this week, I put a litre water bottle accidentally on the sofa, to get to site, with soaking wet right through to thelockers, bed for the night . So the truman heater went on full blast and within an hour it was dry, but I thought what a stupid girl Caroline you are ! hahah So last month, the van double locked me out in my PJs, and as I am still quite small, I climbed through thelocker with a bit of help from fellow campers, pushing my legs slowly into the locker. Phew I was through, without actually breaking in , into my new MH haha, Definately a Youtube moment, with fellow campers laughing their heads off ! hahah. So I will take heed and try next visit to Derbyshire, there will be less traumas ! but appreciate all your kind thoughts and well wishes too !

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Always reverse in so you can drive straight out.
Wear pj's for sleeping in case you feel you want to leave

Make sure you put everything away if you need to leave a off grid location And keep the keys near you

Stop watching the news

Get out there and don't make a big deal of being a SWF solo traveller

There are thousands out there of all agesl

You have more chance of getting run over crossing the road than having an incident.

If you don't like the look or feel of a location just go somewhere else

Try to remember to lock the doors

And a daft hat is more important than a dog.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back