Solar panels to controller cable size (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 4, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Hello,

I think I am posting in the wrong group but would appreciate if anyone can share their knowledge regarding solar panels and cabling.
I am looking to install 6 solar panels connected in parallel ideally on my outhouse flat roof with the below spec and the distance Between the panels and the controller would be approx 10meters.

1. Maximum power ( P max) = 300Wp
2. Open circuit voltage (Voc) = 40.11V
3. Short circuit current ( Isc) = 9.61A
4. Max power Voltage ( Vmp) = 32.54V
5. Max system Voltage ( Imp) = 9.22A

Online calculators suggest 35mm cable, is this correct or would a 6mm cable would be enough ?

Please suggest if connecting 3 panels in series and 3 in parallel would be a good idea to reduce cable sizing

Thanks in advance

Regards
Harsh

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
What is the maximum input voltage and make/model of the solar controller that you plan to use?

Are you planning to charge 12v or 48v batteries?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If you're looking at a 240v domestic system then the voltage/wattage capacity of the inverter will limit the total volts of the panels in series. If you need to put them in parallel in a 12v setup then there will be a limited number of controllers that can deal with the amps

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If it's a domestic install, most solar panel installations use 6mm (or 4mm) cables between the panels up to the inverter in my understanding.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Not the norm to parallel all panels for six panels .Panels are wired in usually series strings then strings are paralleld, if controller only has one input..,number of panels in a string and number of strings governed by controller input capacity

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back