Solar panel on shed roof to keep motorhome batteries maintained (1 Viewer)

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
Hi all.
I'm looking at the feasibility and cost of putting a solar panel on the roof of my shed where my camper is stored to keep the batteries maintained rather than using EHU.
I have solar and a controller in the camper.
I would do the installation myself so it's just balancing the cost of panel, mountings, wireing and connection items pricewise,
Is the idea a waste of money?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Hi all.
I'm looking at the feasibility and cost of putting a solar panel on the roof of my shed where my camper is stored to keep the batteries maintained rather than using EHU.
I have solar and a controller in the camper.
I would do the installation myself so it's just balancing the cost of panel, mountings, wireing and connection items pricewise,
Is the idea a waste of money?
If mains are available a small 2A trickle charger it’s best choice cost wise.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
If you have, or can get, EHU in the shed, then I would go for that.

The charger in the Dethleffs should be your best bit for maintaing the batteries.

You must have more sun than we have got to even think about solar.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If your shed roof is big enough why not make it a domestic solar setup and run EHU of it? I did a DIY 4kW setup for under £1500 and it's already paid for itself

IMG_20220420_175711246.jpgIMG_20220412_182841952.jpg

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I fitted a small 2 ft x 2ft panel on my garage roof .it charges the car and my motor bikes . I found the trickle chargers dried the batteries up .the batteries only lasting 2 years on the bike if I was lucky. Mains chargers are pulsating DC Solar is pure DC . Same reason I rarely use the on board mh chargers .my leisure batteries are 8 years old still going strong .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
You must have more sun than we have got to even think about solar.

I’m not convinced of that, obviously sunlight is ideal, but all you need for a solar panel is visible daylight. Even in the gloom of winter, a good quality solar panel located in an open aspect will maintain a trickle charge. Hasn’t let me down in 10+ years

Mar 3, 2010
Southwell, Notts
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
If your shed roof is big enough why not make it a domestic solar setup and run EHU of it? I did a DIY 4kW setup for under £1500 and it's already paid for itself

View attachment 849526View attachment 849530
Hi Dunnah01, I'm very interested in your solar setup. Do you have any more info? It's it a dual system - it looks like two inverters in the photo?
Paul is

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Hi Dunnah01, I'm very interested in your solar setup. Do you have any more info? It's it a dual system - it looks like two inverters in the photo?
Paul is
Yes it's a dual 2kw system although I could only fit 15 No. 260W panels on the roof so it's actually a 2.0 & 1.8kW system. this was mostly to keep the wiring sizes down between the inverters and the consumer unit. I bought the panels off Facebook for £39 each and the inverters were off ebay for £100 each. The rest was spent on isolators, armoured cable, surge protectors and a new TT earth rod system. Luckily my cousin is a tame electrician and checked over the system and commissioned it. British Gas also OKd it when they fitted a new smart meter. It is grid tied to provide a 240v supply signal. The inverters are also anti-islanding to prevent any back feed into the grid if there is a power cut. I don't have any export guarantee but currently simply divert any excess solar to a heater via a solar diverter, eventually it will go to an immersion heater to heat water for washing and central heating.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We keep our van in the garage the solar just keeps it topped up !!!!! ( And the house )

1704284973949.jpeg

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
I’m not convinced of that, obviously sunlight is ideal, but all you need for a solar panel is visible daylight. Even in the gloom of winter, a good quality solar panel located in an open aspect will maintain a trickle charge. Hasn’t let me down in 10+ years

Our first van, a 2002 Hymer, sat on driveway all winter with only occasional hookup to top up batteries- no solar. We then bought a 2007 Hymer during winter and after a couple of weeks found cab battery dead. Charged up but couple of weeks later battery dead again. Had a solar panel (100/120w) fitted and over 12 years later never had a problem since. We never use motorhome in the winter but solar panel keeps batteries topped up. Best investment ever on motorhome. Obviously the 2007 van has a parasitic drain on the batteries whereas the 2002 van didn’t.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back