Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
So I bought this for my recently purchased 2011 Apache 634. It was a rushed purchase as needed something quickly for an off grid trip. I can't make head nor tail or the controller instructions so have not meddled with any of the settings (aside from fitting an inline fuse) and all seemed well the first night with charge going to the leisure battery. In the morning the 12v tripped out and even though I could just switch it back on the sargent EC300 panel was showing the leisure battery charge fluctuating wildly between about 13v and a bit above 15v. This would trip out the 12v each time so I unplugged the solar panel. Is this likely a case of needing to get someone out who can understand the Dokio controller and tweak the settings or more case of chucking that in the bin and buying a better quality controller? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26620447...pid=5339023013&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Is the dokia charger connected directly to your leisure battery( you need to determine the type of battery you have) or via your onboard panel?

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Is the dokia charger connected directly to your leisure battery( you need to determine the type of battery you have) or via your onboard panel?
The Dokio charge controller is connected directly to the battery and from what I can gather the default settings are for a standard lead acid battery, which mine is. The controller allows for the battery to be plugged into it and also the solar panel, so all can be easily unplugged too.

Dokio controller 1.jpg

Dokio controller 2.jpg

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
How have you connected it to the van
Dokio charge controller is connected directly to the battery. The controller allows for the battery to be plugged into it and also the solar panel, so all can be easily unplugged too.

Dokio controller 1.jpg

Dokio controller 2.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
It would appear that the controller is a rebadged cheapo Chinese one ( available for less than £10) I have used one temporarily at my property in Spain to charge a battery nothing fancy connected to it and never measured output but it worked fine.I would guess no adjustment is user possible and being so cheap output may be a bit excessive,I would suggest a better controller ideally mppt.Avoid anything that is too cheap a good middle of the road in my experience is a Renogy mppt or ecoworthy

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
It would appear that the controller is a rebadged cheapo Chinese one ( available for less than £10) I have used one temporarily at my property in Spain to charge a battery nothing fancy connected to it and never measured output but it worked fine.I would guess no adjustment is user possible and being so cheap output may be a bit excessive,I would suggest a better controller ideally mppt.Avoid anything that is too cheap a good middle of the road in my experience is a Renogy mppt or ecoworthy
Thank you, I would also like one that comes with instructions that are idiot proof if there is such a thing? :)

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Oh and also needs to be one that the panel can be plugged into rather than hardwired as the panel is portable. Is that an unusual thing?

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Thank you, I would also like one that comes with instructions that are idiot proof if there is such a thing? :)
I've had several renogyy rover a bit bulky but very well made and simple to use wire it up ( fitted to van plug in panel set battery type done a monitor screen or Bluetooth are available but not necessary... regardless of what you go for one that is lithium friendly is more future proof

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Fit and hardwire to van with panel plugging into controller Just had a look on eBay (Renogy rover) there's a 20a mppt £75 or pwm £33 lithium friendly

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Just looked your panel max output is just under 10a at 18v....these are the numbers your controller needs to be able to handle (greater is fine) your panel is highly unlikely to produce it's max rated output

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Just looked your panel max output is just under 10a at 18v....these are the numbers your controller needs to be able to handle (greater is fine) your panel is highly unlikely to produce it's max rated output
Current controller is 20a but likely just not up to the job as it's such a cheap one I think

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
The figures Inc controller I read on the eBay listing ! Y ou could go for 10amp but if you go 20 or up you could later add another identical panel in parallel to the same controller

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Hello again, so I have just been reading that a controller that is too big for the panel can cause overcharging so maybe it should be a 10A controller and this is why I'm having this overcharging issue? https://www.carspa.cc/learn/what-ha...s that an oversized,of the solar power system.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Hello again, so I have just been reading that a controller that is too big for the panel can cause overcharging so maybe it should be a 10A controller and this is why I'm having this overcharging issue? https://www.carspa.cc/learn/what-happens-if-your-solar-charge-controller-is-too-big#:~:text=It explains that an oversized,of the solar power system.
Don't know where that's coming from but it's nonsence,I have a 50amp controller my panels supply anything from 0amps upwards if the battery profile is correct you can fit a 200amp controller to your 10amp max output panel

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
Make sure you connect the charger to the battery before the solar panel…
Well annoyingly I didn't as the controller came with a USB phone charger which doesn't require the battery to work. So I connected controller to panel then charged my phone. Then later I connected to the battery and then the panel but is it too later and the damage is done or is it simply a case of figuring out these dang settings which may have been affected by attaching the controller to the panel initially?

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Well annoyingly I didn't as the controller came with a USB phone charger which doesn't require the battery to work. So I connected controller to panel then charged my phone. Then later I connected to the battery and then the panel but is it too later and the damage is done or is it simply a case of figuring out these dang settings which may have been affected by attaching the controller to the panel initially?
Order of connection Probably made no difference...Panels get connected first or battery gets disconnected first many times with no I'll effect but battery connected first and disconnected last is the safest procedure.

OP
OP
Pollypenny
Jun 28, 2024
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 1998
The seller is asking me if I think it is the panel or the controller that is faulty as he is happy to replace either. Assuming it must be the controller as surely the panel can't be the cause of overcharging as that is the controller's job? I am tempted to take him up on a replacement controller as although it's a cheap one it should surely still do its basic job of controlling the charge and preventing overcharging? I am also still a bit unsure how I would adopt a different controller as the panel plugs into the controller as does the battery, whereas others seem to needs wiring in and I need to be able to unplug the panel at the very least as it is portable and needs to be packed away when not using and quickly plugged in when arriving at site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back