Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Fiat Scudo Nu Ventur
Exp
16yrs
(Sorry, I have searched but can't find answers) -
So my question is - I have a 130w semi flexible (Eco-Worthy) panel going to a Victron MPPT 75/10 controller feeding a 110Ah battery - should I fit a fuse between panel and controller or between controller and battery ?
I may change the battery for a 200Ah Lithium battery (selecting the Lithium option in controller), so where and what size fuse should I fit ?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We have a double pole circuit breaker for the panels between the panels and the MPPT aswell as a 20amp in line fuse as the cable enters the motorhome

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Your fuses should be sized to match the rating of the wire you are using. It is preventing the wire from being overloaded that you are protecting.

But your solar controller is 75/10, so 10A max output (input would be a bit different, probably a tad lower, as the solar panel voltage is just a bit higher and converted through the controller to the voltage your battery needs to charge). So all you need is a 10A fuse but that is perhaps marginal as I would hop your wiring is slightly oversized to reduce resistance which would hinder charging. So a 15A fuse could be good.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Shouldn't need a fuse between solar panels and the controller as the wiring should be rated for the maximum current the panels can provide but a breaker is a good idea for maintenance purposes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back