Solar charging

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,
Since investing in a Fogstar 280amp battery I have come across an issue with my setup.
I currently use a Sargent EC328 charger which works perfectly and charges the Fogstar battery without issue.
However, I also have a 120w solar panel which seems to mess up the charger operation when plugged in.(eg. Truma heater turns off after a few seconds requiring the charger to be reset.etc)
Up to now I have disconnected the solar panel and used the rest of the system as is without issue.
I think maybe there seems to be an issue with compatibility between the solar regulator in the Sargent charger and the Fogstar battery,
so... can anyone suggest a solar controller that can be added to the system for charging the Fogstar battery when not on hookup?
Cheers!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always best to bypass built in solar regulators and fit a decent MPPT regulator like a Victron and connect direct to the battery. As you changed to Lithium if would be worth fitting more solar to take advantage of the fast charging.

If you use EHU I would fit a proper Lithium compatible charger the Sargent unit will never charge them properly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr Librium
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks guys, I'm just wondering if a Victron solar charger has the capability of being connected as well as the Sargent charger.
According to Sargent, their EC328 is okay for charging Lithium batteries, and upto press, that seems correct.
All I would like to do is flick the solar charger on when no ehu is available... if that makes sense, assuming the EC328 has protection from a reverse voltage at the charger output.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
assuming the EC328 has protection from a reverse voltage at the charger output.
It's not a reverse voltage! The standing output voltage may be higher than it's input voltage but that can happen in other situations.
You can add other charge controllers to a battery with no problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mr Librium
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Okay thanks, so what I could do is wire in a relay so that when on ehu, the solar charge controller is disengaged by the Sargent 12v output, and then re-engages when ehu is disconnected.
What do you reckon?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
There is no need to. A battery can be charged from more than one source. The charge controllers, providing they are set up correctly with the respective battery chemistry, etc., will ensure correct charging.

OP
OP
Mr Librium
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
There is no need to. A battery can be charged from more than one source. The charge controllers, providing they are set up correctly with the respective battery chemistry, etc., will ensure correct charging.
Great, thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back