Solar battery charging question (17 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Just had an excellent upgrade by Offgrid Power Solutions:
Gone from 80Ah lead acid battery with 100w solar panel to 280Ah Fogstar Drift and an additional 185w solar. (Also had 12/1200 inverter fitted & B2B) 👍

It all works marvellously but I have always wanted to know the ‘ins and outs’ of everything, so here’s my question:

On the charging app I can see the three stages of charging and notice that the third stage each day (float) is in operation despite the battery being increasing slightly depleted (currently at 73%).

Is this normal and will it wait until the battery reaches a certain minimum before fully charging again?

With my limited knowledge I thought that the battery would always be fully charged, but I’m now guessing that constantly charging small amounts to full is not good for the battery, hence fully charging less often when it is much more depleted is better for it?

Is my guess correct?

Thank you to all those Funsters that have offered soooooo much advice in our 4 years of ownership, be assured that it has greatly enhanced our use of it 👍

Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I thought float was when batteries were fully charged?
I have 300W solar, 100/30 Victorian mppt going into 185A of AGM batteries and this "summer" in the UK we have been OK until September when it did get down to below 50% on one occasion.
Future upgrade is to go to Lithium and b2b.
Would suggest you could do with more solar to keep your Lithiums charged.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just had an excellent upgrade by Offgrid Power Solutions:
Gone from 80Ah lead acid battery with 100w solar panel to 280Ah Fogstar Drift and an additional 185w solar. (Also had 12/1200 inverter fitted & B2B) 👍

It all works marvellously but I have always wanted to know the ‘ins and outs’ of everything, so here’s my question:

On the charging app I can see the three stages of charging and notice that the third stage each day (float) is in operation despite the battery being increasing slightly depleted (currently at 73%).

Is this normal and will it wait until the battery reaches a certain minimum before fully charging again?

With my limited knowledge I thought that the battery would always be fully charged, but I’m now guessing that constantly charging small amounts to full is not good for the battery, hence fully charging less often when it is much more depleted is better for it?

Is my guess correct?

Thank you to all those Funsters that have offered soooooo much advice in our 4 years of ownership, be assured that it has greatly enhanced our use of it 👍
Needs to check the settings in the solar controller as I am sure it should be back to bulk charging at 76%.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Eddie Van Bits is the man to answer this one perhaps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back