Solar and Power Upgrade Queries (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I currently have a 105a LA leisure battery, with a 180w solar panel on the roof and Victron MPPT 75/15 controller. The battery is not really optimal, but I'm limited for space and therefore capacity. The solar is a semi-flexible panel on a pop top roof.

I'm in the throes of finalising changing my SCA 194 pop top roof to a high top. It won't look as nice, but I am at the point where usable standing space and better insulation year round is trumping external looks! Anyway, that's an aside. The company which is likely to fit the roof also does lithium installations, so I'm considering this too. They have quoted me for a 300a lithium battery, but say that the max solar they can install on the roof is 2x 50w panels (these will have to be flexi/semi flexi due to the curve of the roof) because I'm also having a maxxfan fitted. While I like the idea of two panels (on the basis that hopefully they won't both fail at once, I feel very nervous about reducing my solar input by so much compared to what I currently have.

To be honest, I'm wondering whether to either not go ahead with the lithium+solar install at all (but still to replace the battery with a non-lithium option as the current battery isn't giving me the performance I'd like), but ask the installer to leave/put everything in place to add solar later without having to do too much messing with the roof.
Or to go lithium, but no solar on the roof and an Anderson socket as I have an Ecoflow 200w suitcase panel which is currently rarely used as it is very heavy and bulky and a nuisance to store in the van when not in use. This latter may be worth exploring as it would save me a few bob and give me better solar input than the proposed two slimline 50w panels on top.

I already feel as though I've spent quite a lot on power improvements with patchy results and I'm wary about spending more and getting it wrong, especially as this will be quite costly. Some folk have said to sell the van and buy a newer one with a high top, but I can't afford to do this, plus my current van has had a number of tweaks over time to suit me and my van use. She's a 15yo gal, but still in good nick and I've owned her for 10 years so know how she's been looked after and driven.

I'd be interested in people's views... (I think!) Please bear in mind that I'm not overly technical, so I would be very grateful if replies could be in simple wording so far as is possible! ;)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
You already know more solar means more harvest so why are they limited to two? Is it space?
B2B would be an alternative if you simply can't have more solar?

OP
OP
Tonks
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
You already know more solar means more harvest so why are they limited to two? Is it space?
B2B would be an alternative if you simply can't have more solar?
Space, yes. My roof is LOTS diddier than yours! :)

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
I currently have a 105a LA leisure battery, with a 180w solar panel on the roof and Victron MPPT 75/15 controller. The battery is not really optimal, but I'm limited for space and therefore capacity. The solar is a semi-flexible panel on a pop top roof.

I'm in the throes of finalising changing my SCA 194 pop top roof to a high top. It won't look as nice, but I am at the point where usable standing space and better insulation year round is trumping external looks! Anyway, that's an aside. The company which is likely to fit the roof also does lithium installations, so I'm considering this too. They have quoted me for a 300a lithium battery, but say that the max solar they can install on the roof is 2x 50w panels (these will have to be flexi/semi flexi due to the curve of the roof) because I'm also having a maxxfan fitted. While I like the idea of two panels (on the basis that hopefully they won't both fail at once, I feel very nervous about reducing my solar input by so much compared to what I currently have.

To be honest, I'm wondering whether to either not go ahead with the lithium+solar install at all (but still to replace the battery with a non-lithium option as the current battery isn't giving me the performance I'd like), but ask the installer to leave/put everything in place to add solar later without having to do too much messing with the roof.
Or to go lithium, but no solar on the roof and an Anderson socket as I have an Ecoflow 200w suitcase panel which is currently rarely used as it is very heavy and bulky and a nuisance to store in the van when not in use. This latter may be worth exploring as it would save me a few bob and give me better solar input than the proposed two slimline 50w panels on top.

I already feel as though I've spent quite a lot on power improvements with patchy results and I'm wary about spending more and getting it wrong, especially as this will be quite costly. Some folk have said to sell the van and buy a newer one with a high top, but I can't afford to do this, plus my current van has had a number of tweaks over time to suit me and my van use. She's a 15yo gal, but still in good nick and I've owned her for 10 years so know how she's been looked after and driven.

I'd be interested in people's views... (I think!) Please bear in mind that I'm not overly technical, so I would be very grateful if replies could be in simple wording so far as is possible! ;)
You are looking at tripling the size of your battery but halfing the solar.. To be honest, a large array of solar is good when the conditions are right, but the conditions are not guaranteed and from my experience, solar is best described as "unreliable". 100watts would not really do much for your proposed lithium upgrade.
It depends on how you use your van, either you move a lot or stay put in one place for a week or so and your power use is an important factor. Personally I would forget the solar and put the money into a 50amp B2B. Then you would then have a reliable system to recharge as you drive.
I see you are not too far from fellow funsters "Off Grid Power Solutions" in Berks. Giving them a call would be an excellent way to help you decide on your best options and they have top reviews for the value and workmanship.

OP
OP
Tonks
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
You are looking at tripling the size of your battery but halfing the solar.. To be honest, a large array of solar is good when the conditions are right, but the conditions are not guaranteed and from my experience, solar is best described as "unreliable". 100watts would not really do much for your proposed lithium upgrade.
It depends on how you use your van, either you move a lot or stay put in one place for a week or so and your power use is an important factor. Personally I would forget the solar and put the money into a 50amp B2B. Then you would then have a reliable system to recharge as you drive.
I see you are not too far from fellow funsters "Off Grid Power Solutions" in Berks. Giving them a call would be an excellent way to help you decide on your best options and they have top reviews for the value and workmanship.
I've already got B2B, so the LB charges when I'm driving.
I do quite a bit of volunteering, which usually means I'm staying off grid and not moving the van for several days at a time. And I use the van year round, so a lot of the time when solar gain is not strong. Although there's less demand on the battery for power in winter as the fridge isn't so needy.
I'm at the Western MH & Campervan Show from tomorrow, and plan to go and see the Off Grid Power Solutions guys as they've got a stand there. They're actually based not far away from me in Wantage, Oxfordshire which is about 15 miles from home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The other option is fold out solar panels. I saw a set with 4 panels earlier this year and by all accounts they were very effective.

Upside
Can be moved around to maximise the gain from the sun.
Can carry far more than you can fit on the roof.

Downside
You have to set up each time.
Fear of theft would be a big issue for me., they aren't cheap.

I believe Jim also had a 350W one from memory for review?

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
The other option is fold out solar panels. I saw a set with 4 panels earlier this year and by all accounts they were very effective.

Upside
Can be moved around to maximise the gain from the sun.
Can carry far more than you can fit on the roof.

Downside
You have to set up each time.
Fear of theft would be a big issue for me., they aren't cheap.

I believe Jim also had a 350W one from memory for review?

We have just bought 200w of foldable panels, fold up quite small, apart from when the sun is directly overhead, they massively out perform the fixed ones.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Remember the solar can only charge your battery if there is space. If on a sunny day you only get 20watts or so it may be your battery is charged, adding another 200W of solar will still only draw 20watts. Let your battery run down, turn on a load of 12v lights, fans etc. Then see what you are getting from your solar.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
my can I ask which ones you have gone for and how much

a link would be nice as well

Al 👍

my can I ask which ones you have gone for and how much

a link would be nice as well

Al 👍
They are allpowers sp05:

They are refurbs, but appears as new, eBay had a discount code, and I also made an offer, and got them for £179.
Away at Malvern at the moment, so hope to test them out tomorrow when the rain stops!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
They are allpowers sp05:

They are refurbs, but appears as new, eBay had a discount code, and I also made an offer, and got them for £179.
Away at Malvern at the moment, so hope to test them out tomorrow when the rain stops!

i’m at malvern so if it’s ok can I pop round to see them as they’re the ones i’ve been looking at

Al

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
They are allpowers sp05:

Do they have a solar controller built in or will you have to wire it into one?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you upgrade to a 300Ah lithium, you will have over five times more usable charge than the present 110Ah. In winter if you are not driving far every day, you could recharge from an EV charging point. If you do that, it's good to have a fast charger so that you reduce the time parked at the EV point. Victron do a 100A charger, for example, which will charge your 300Ah in about 3 hours.

You can get a EV Type2 to round blue cable (with required built-in electronics). Most, but not all EV charging points have a Type2 socket. Your smaller VW type vehicle will fit better into an EV charging bay than my 7m Hymer.

OP
OP
Tonks
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Can I ask who is replacing your roof?
I’ve been talking to Orange Campers based in Rotherham. They’ve already done a roof swap on another van of the same make and model as mine and have another currently in build. They did an excellent job on the completed one, and its owner has been helpful in answering lots of questions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back