Sog system (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
Hi all we have a Sog toilet system and I know you don’t use chemicals in the waste tank, but does anyone know if you can put chemicals in the waste cassette just to make it smell nice or will it damage the Sog filters?
If anyone does use anything then what do you use?
Thanks.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Hi all we have a Sog toilet system and I know you don’t use chemicals in the waste tank, but does anyone know if you can put chemicals in the waste cassette just to make it smell nice or will it damage the Sog filters?
If anyone does use anything then what do you use?
Thanks.
We use bio washing liquid, don't think there's any ban on using chemicals just that you may not need them but most people do.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
In very hot weather we dose it with a capful of the bio washing liquid, but in cooler weather use nothing. QW find in the heat that although the SOG works well normally, that if you open the trap to use the loo it can be a bit intense, hence the 'perfume'. It certainly makes emptying slightly more pleasant! I also don't know if I imagine it, but it seems to make rinsing the cassette easier.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes you can but why? We have had SOG's in all our vans and never used chemicals.
I think the OP is thinking of close neighbours getting a lungful of the obnoxious gas eminating from the sog especially when the charcoal filter has seen better days rather than breaking turds to slurry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We used bio washing liquid, and find it seems to provide a waxy finish to the cassette which helps prevent and "sticky" bits sticking....🤮

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes, so don't empty it into one any more than using the blue chemical. Anyone who has been to Jim and Sian's place, Jasmin Camping are made well aware of the rules! :wink:

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Won't bio washing liquid kill off the bugs in a septic tank?
In small doses, Bio laundry detergent shouldn't harm essential bacteria. We've been on a tank for the last 20 years and often used bio laundry detergent, we have a healthy system and at service intervals we are always complimented on our septic bloom.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
In small doses, Bio laundry detergent shouldn't harm essential bacteria. We've been on a tank for the last 20 years and used bio laundry detergent, we have a healthy system and at service intervals we are always complimented on our septic bloom.
OK. But on a camp site or other public emptying point, the small doses will add up very quickly if the users all asume they are the only ones using it....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Most of the enzymes in the bio liquid will have 'denatured' and change shape once they have built up a bit of temperature processing your waste matter. unless emptied very regularly and/or over dosed.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Water works, no need for anything else. Just like your loo at home.
You must have a strange loo at home. Mine flushes with a litre or more of water and goes through a s-bend and into the sewer system! No holding tank/cassette, and no need to empty.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
On our current MoHo we had a SOG fitted at the SOG factory in Germany, as I was travelling across Germany and it was convenient to call in en route a couple of years ago from the Caravan Salon at Dussledorf. The engineer who did the fitting whilst we waited strongly advised that no chemicals should be added to the cassette. He also advised that since I had previously used toilet blue stuff in the cassette, it would be prudent to have an initial thorough wash out to remove as much as possible and thus eliminate the risk of reducing the natural decomposition. I did this at the first opportunity and all has worked to plan ever since.

The SOG website says:

The increased supply of oxygen that the activated ventilator causes to flow into the cassette during use accelerates the decomposition process of the tank contents to such an extent that the use of chemical additives is no longer necessary. Even when the toilet is not used, a system is provided that is constantly open towards the outside and thus guarantees the decomposition process.

Our SOG®systems use some aspects of the principle behind the activated sludge process used at sewage treatment plants and therefore create the ideal conditions for the removal and decomposition of faecal waste.

Most sanitary cleaning products generally interfere with the bacteria used in sewage treatment plants. Some substances are more disturbing than others, depending on the concentration and amount used and how frequently the products are used. They are therefore particularly problematic for smaller sewage treatment plants located in popular tourist locations, which are mostly only suitable for use in villages. If too many travellers in these locations send a mixture of faecal matter and environmentally unfriendly concentrated cleaning products containing biocides to the treatment plants, this will cause the plants to become unstable.

It also offers advice as to the possible cause of any smells:

If, despite the SOG® system, unpleasant smells are to be perceived, especially when opening the toilet, these smells do not come from the cassette, but from the bowl. The toilets, especially the C260, C220 and C400, are completely closed by the lid, no more oxygen can get into the toilet. Since small remains of urine always stick in the toilet, the lack of oxygen leads to the formation of unpleasant odors. Warmth or hot temperatures in summer, or the use of heating in winter (the heating pipes often run in the immediate vicinity of the toilet, so that the toilet warms up) promote the formation of odors.
This problem can be eliminated by leaving the lid open or by attaching small rubber buffers below the lid so that oxygen can flow in.Polishing the bowl using a window polish for acrylic glass panes also helps, as the urine can then no longer stick so easily.

We have never experienced any smells, do not add chemicals, often go for 3 or 4 days between emptying when wild camping and, when necessary because there is nowhere convenient to dump correctly, we use a second cassette, keeping the full one for a few days longer in a plastic box with a sealable lid in the garage.

Of course, as soon as you start to add any chemicals into the cassette you start to inhibit the natural decomposition processes. This results in some smell, leading to the idea that it is essential to empty every day (or even more often) and the inclination to solve the problem by adding more chemicals.

Obviously, if you have previously been a ‘blue” user, the first time you empty in the sluice at the disposal point the colour of the content is what you expect rather than the sanitised appearance when dyed blue. After a couple of empties this became the norm and did not seem any more unpleasant a task. I even persuaded SWMBO that this could no longer be classified as a “Blue Job” and she said after giving it a go that it was no worse than changing a baby’s nappy!!! 🫢(y):ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back