Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 31, 2023
Durham
Funster No
MH
Hobby 560
Exp
I’m a newbie
Travelling for a short stay up to Seahouses in Northumberland when I felt the steering go. Thinking it was a blow out, pulled over to check and couldn’t see anything. We pulled away and within 200yds, the steering went again, so pulled off at the next junction to find we had almost no brakes. Eventually managed to stop, steam billowing from the near side rear wheel and realise the wheel was at a tilt. 3 hrs later waiting on recovery, it appears the wheel bearings had went which then started taking out the wheel bolts, wonky donkey comes to mind. Managed to get it dropped off at the storage yard before the wheel falls off. what a day 🤦🏻‍♂️

IMG_7043.jpeg

IMG_7046.jpeg

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Glad you’re Okay ,looks like a costly repair ☹️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Newkybroon
Oct 31, 2023
Durham
Funster No
MH
Hobby 560
Exp
I’m a newbie
Wow, I can see why you would lose the brakes as it's probably ripped out the wheel cylinders, but why would it affect the steering ?
Could have been much worse, glad everyone is safe (y)
What's the base vehicle ?
Ducato base. I suppose if the wheel was rotating off its axis, it would affect the way the vehicle was travelling (having to counteract it through steering) All safe which is the main thing, thank yoy

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I was recently thinking about GVW and the loading on bearings obviously there comes a point when the bearings become overloaded.
Not suggesting this was the case here though but worth consideration.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Wheel bearing gone, and now damaged hub, and rear brakes I would think. Easy enough to sort and I would do other side whilst at it. Get your man to check out your spring assistors (bump stops) whilst he is there. Looks like they need some attention unless I’m seeing picture wrong.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Had a wheel and hub come off of my boat trailer years ago as I slowed down it went rolling past me at a rate of knots 😁😁always paranoid after that about wheel bearing’s especially on trailers.

Hopefully an easy fix for you and at least it never came fully off as no doubt it would have ripped the side of the van to shreds 😳😳😳

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You was lucky.

Had a Mk3 Cortina it felt weird on corners, I had just been the tyre dept., I found one of the rear wheels had a nut half way down the thread the other 3 nuts rolling around in the hub cap.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Lost front , nearside wheel (very old Austin 1100) on motorway into Glasgow many years ago .
Managed to drift onto hard shoulder as wheel rolled up the road .
Wheel stopped about 200 yards away . Ford Granada stopped at wheel . Guy waved , thumbs up from me . He then put wheel in boot and drove off !

OP
OP
Newkybroon
Oct 31, 2023
Durham
Funster No
MH
Hobby 560
Exp
I’m a newbie
I was recently thinking about GVW and the loading on bearings obviously there comes a point when the bearings become overloaded.
Not suggesting this was the case here though but worth consideration.
Since buying the vehicle, the only additional load was an additional battery, but definitely worth consideration, thank you

OP
OP
Newkybroon
Oct 31, 2023
Durham
Funster No
MH
Hobby 560
Exp
I’m a newbie
Wheel bearing gone, and now damaged hub, and rear brakes I would think. Easy enough to sort and I would do other side whilst at it. Get your man to check out your spring assistors (bump stops) whilst he is there. Looks like they need some attention unless I’m seeing picture wrong.
Will do, thankyou

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
The brake caliper was probably the only thing keeping the wheel on. The wobbling wheel and disc pushing the pads back, hence no brakes.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Had a complete wheel ,drum and hub come off the rear of a mk2 cavalier estate at 70mph on the M 8 ( why does this forum change m 8 to mate if you put them together?) to Glasgow back in 1998. My ex wife was pregnant with my son at the time...she nearly gave birth as we spun round 270° on to the hard shoulder . That was due to a badly fitted wheel bearing overheating. There was little warning and little time to.react. not Something I'd like to experience again 😁

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had a complete wheel ,drum and hub come off the rear of a mk2 cavalier estate at 70mph on the M 8 ( why does this forum change m 8 to mate if you put them together?) to Glasgow back in 1998. My ex wife was pregnant with my son at the time...she nearly gave birth as we spun round 270° on to the hard shoulder . That was due to a badly fitted wheel bearing overheating. There was little warning and little time to.react. not Something I'd like to experience again 😁
Your the second one to mention wheels coming off going into Glasgow, I know Glasgow used to be a bit rough but nicking wheels off cars doing 70 on the motorway is a bit much. 🤣

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Your the second one to mention wheels coming off going into Glasgow, I know Glasgow used to be a bit rough but nicking wheels off cars doing 70 on the motorway is a bit much. 🤣
Aye well in my case the road was going there it runs from Edinburgh to Glasgow...but I was coming off at Livingston. The wheel decided to leave before that. I arrived in Livingston on the back of an aa truck 🤣

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The brake caliper was probably the only thing keeping the wheel on. The wobbling wheel and disc pushing the pads back, hence no brakes.
No disc on that, it’s drum rear brakes, and looks like the pistons are now out, loosing the brake fluid.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
How old is the van? How many miles has it done?
Be handy to know just for reference.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
During my time doing breakdown work I was called out to a pick up truck that had lost a rear wheel because the wheel nuts had come off. The driver said the wheel bounced over the hedge. Unfortunately being Lincolnshire the field was full of rape seed crop.
The driver spent half an hour searching the field whilst I fitted the spare wheel borrowing one nut from the other wheels.
On another occasion I was called to a hire car because the driver could get the lug nuts off. The driver was American so to us he meant wheel nuts.
The locking wheel nut adapter was missing. Fortunately it was a local hire company and they had the adapter in their office.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Was talking to a customer in Glasgow shortly after my wheel being stolen .
Told her the story , she then told me she had taken her dog to the park and someone stole its collar !

OP
OP
Newkybroon
Oct 31, 2023
Durham
Funster No
MH
Hobby 560
Exp
I’m a newbie
Travelling for a short stay up to Seahouses in Northumberland when I felt the steering go. Thinking it was a blow out, pulled over to check and couldn’t see anything. We pulled away and within 200yds, the steering went again, so pulled off at the next junction to find we had almost no brakes. Eventually managed to stop, steam billowing from the near side rear wheel and realise the wheel was at a tilt. 3 hrs later waiting on recovery, it appears the wheel bearings had went which then started taking out the wheel bolts, wonky donkey comes to mind. Managed to get it dropped off at the storage yard before the wheel falls off. what a day 🤦🏻‍♂️

View attachment 922727

View attachment 922737
Update after the mobile mechanic visited today. The hub nut had not been secured on its last drum brake replacement (before we bought it), so needs a new hub and cover if one is available. Not as bad as I thought, phew.

IMG_7100.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back