Snow free route through France to Roses Spain in January? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I reckon the simplest route to minimise the probability of snow is the A63 down to Urrugne area where it goes into Spain at Irun as the AP8. It's Department 64 and the shortest crossing of the "blue zone".
That's the route we'll be using, don't fancy Brittany Ferries luxury in winter.

This is the French government site for details of the regulations.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I reckon the simplest route to minimise the probability of snow is the A63 down to Urrugne area where it goes into Spain at Irun as the AP8. It's Department 64 and the shortest crossing of the "blue zone".
That's the route we'll be using, don't fancy Brittany Ferries luxury in winter.

This is the French government site for details of the regulations.
That’s the way that we have used for many years and have carried chains for the last few years but have never needed them, just changed to Bridgestone Duravis All Season tyres so will not be carrying chains any more.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
That’s the way that we have used for many years and have carried chains for the last few years but have never needed them, just changed to Bridgestone Duravis All Season tyres so will not be carrying chains any more.
When I eventually change my tyres to winter ones I will still carry chains as you can still get use not just for snow

Nov 19, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I578
Exp
since 2012
A snow-sock tale.....was on Huez for the Tour a few years ago and got talking to a man who happened to live 2 miles from me.
It was his first summer trip but he came out with another vanner each winter for the skiing.
How do you manage for winter tyres? I asked.
"Well the 1st time we came out, we got near the bottom of the hill, my mate put chains on and I put socks on.
A couple of hundred metres later we got stopped by th police who were checking the tyres. My mate was waved through, but they stopped me and laughed. They then tutted but let me through because the socks complied with the law.
On about hairpin #6 I started to slide all over the hill and came to a halt with no traction, right across the road. I caused complete havoc. Got out of the van to see that the socks were shredded.
Some time later, the police arrived and were furious. My mate came back, got me a set of chains from the town and I eventually got up to Huez"
I've never bothered with socks.🤣🤣🤣🤣

Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back