Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi folks, which is the best a combined alarm or separate ones and the best place to put them , have a combined one ATM on the ceiling by the kitchen which is 3years old now so maybe time to change .

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We have two separate ones. A thermo one for fire as it’s less prone to cooking set offs placed on the ceiling in the fwd part of lounge area. The CO alarm is by our bed which is over the cab. Both by fire angel.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I always fit seperate ones, the Co on a wall in the bedroom area and an optical smoke alarm on the ceiling in the bedroom area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
We also have separate ones both in the bedroom ,Oh how we laughed (NOT) when one went off under fault conditions as we sped along a narrow country road in France! There’s a litter bin in central France that no doubt still screams as you approach 😃

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Hi folks, which is the best a combined alarm or separate ones and the best place to put them , have a combined one ATM on the ceiling by the kitchen which is 3years old now so maybe time to change .
They have an expiry date on them. They normally last 10 years.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I suggest a model with a display for the CO monitor , any alert needs attention, but knowing how severe it is will allow better reaction

I think they alert above 15ppm, but has a time delay to prevent false low alerts

15ppm would need weeks to have even the tiniest effect on people or pets, but once in 100’s you really to be out very quickly and stay out

The Kidde display also allows you to check back on max levels even if below alert level

They will be cheaper elsewhere and have gone up a lot recently , but well worth the extra few £’s imo, I have done a lot of confined space training courses and worked in them , dangerous gas, especially ones you can’t smell like CO are very serious when at wrong levels

Mount it around head height in bed area and standing height at other end , we have three in ours at 8.2m bedroom over Alde boiler, kitchen by hob / fridge and front drop down bed just in case 👍

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
We have two separate ones. A thermo one for fire as it’s less prone to cooking set offs placed on the ceiling in the fwd part of lounge area. The CO alarm is by our bed which is over the cab. Both by fire angel.
Not sure I see the point of a thermo alarm in a motorhome, if you haven’t noticed the temperature has risen to 58°C you have probably already been overcome by fumes. I have an optical smoke alarm and cooking has never set it off. I would rather have a few false alarms than miss the early warning a smoke alarm gives.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp

Not sure I see the point of a thermo alarm in a motorhome, if you haven’t noticed the temperature has risen to 58°C you have probably already been overcome by fumes. I have an optical smoke alarm and cooking has never set it off. I would rather have a few false alarms than miss the early warning a smoke alarm gives.
Looks like I edited too much out of my post when re writing the first part 🙄
I have a thermally enhanced optical detector. 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Looks like I edited too much out of my post when re writing the first part 🙄
I have a thermally enhanced optical detector. 👍🏻
Not heard of these before but having done a quick search I like the idea. The optical sensitivity is increased if the alarm detects a sudden rise in temperature.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.