Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
On this last trip it has got to me the number of people who are on their smart phones when we are trying to relax and get away from it as much as we can.

Whilst accepting the need to be in contact in case of emergencies, conversations - most of which are far too loud and are made outside of their units - are either of an inane or work related sort.

Work-from-home has in my opinion exacerbated the practice immensely and campsites will need to keep a handle on this as intrusions increase and traditional camping stays disappear.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Each to their own, I would like to see a campsite tell me I couldn’t take a call, work related or not.

Seems an odd thing to be annoyed about.

Perhaps wild camping on your own in remote places away from others would be better?

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Each to their own, I would like to see a campsite tell me I couldn’t take a call, work related or not.

Seems an odd thing to be annoyed about.

Perhaps wild camping on your own in remote places away from others would be better?

Odd?
Hope you never want to have a relaxing break in a campsite.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
While I am not too sure what the exact "nuisance" mobile phone calls are causing him/her, But I have found the increasing number of people making phone calls in public places with their phone on "speaker" so that all around have to hear out loud both sides of their conversation

Yes indeed.
If that is not intruding on everyone else’s relax time I don’t know what is.
As more and more do it, it can only get worse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
While I am not too sure what the exact "nuisance" mobile phone calls are causing him/her, But I have found the increasing number of people making phone calls in public places with their phone on "speaker" so that all around have to hear out loud both sides of their conversation
Or equally:
Just listening to music on speaker or:
Just speaking into the phone in a loud voice more suited to acting on stage so that the whole train carriage has to listen to one side of the conversation!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you're going to stop people talking on the phone how about kids running around or dogs or people having the radio on etc etc. . It sounds a bit too restrictive to me maybe a religious retreat somewhere is a better bet for that sort of thing.
My mil is a bit like that she likes to sit in a room with nothing audible apart from possibly a ticking clock unless it's classical music which seems fine to inflict on anyone else!

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
If you're going to stop people talking on the phone how about kids running around or dogs or people having the radio on etc etc. . It sounds a bit too restrictive to me maybe a religious retreat somewhere is a better bet for that sort of thing.
My mil is a bit like that she likes to sit in a room with nothing audible apart from possibly a ticking clock unless it's classical music which seems fine to inflict on anyone else!

The usual unrelated nonsense from you.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Seems an odd thing to be annoyed about

As a generalised YES, but specific people no!

I Freedom Camp because I like to be alone.

But I enjoy my coffee and especially in a coffee shop, but there I do know what to expect.

Right now, viewing Fun, writing this message, I'm sat in Starbucks.

Every customer is busy on some device or another, that's no problem.

Two customers have received calls but exited the store to take them, politeness or privacy?

If, even though, or maybe because it is a public space, other customers intrude on my 'space I'm unhappy be that;

Loud telephone conversations.
Online meetings.
Shouting in exparation at there computer.
Loud, in person, meetings.
Just loud conversations.
Kids treating the store as a playground.

None are really wrong, just impolite and becoming an accepted modern norm. A lowering in manners, even a decline of civilised behaviour and certainly an intrusion of my 'bubble of life' at that can be annoying.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It's just people talking. 🤔 Don't you like other people? Or is it the fact they are using modern technology to talk remotely?

When I had a big black phone years ago Ann used to go mad if I took a call in a shop, he used to think I was showing off or something and walk off 😆

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I'm tending to agree mobile phone use in public places is becoming a curse. A bit of consideration goes a long way, not everyone wants to listen to others' private conversations. Me for one.
Sitting in campsite toilet cubicle recently, I hear 'hello' from next door. Being helpful & thinking maybe loo paper had run out I had drawn breath to reply when the full conversation started.
Really??

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
It's just people talking. 🤔 Don't you like other people? Or is it the fact they are using modern technology to talk remotely?

When I had a big black phone years ago Ann used to go mad if I took a call in a shop, he used to think I was showing off or something and walk off 😆

What? Don’t like people?

I don’t want the constant loud jabbering for all to listen to whilst relaxing on a break. Do it from inside your unit.

I assume that you would be okay with loud music playing near you whilst you siesta.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I didn't talk on it like this though 😆

Screenshot_20241002_093210_Opera.jpg

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I'm tending to agree mobile phone use in public places is becoming a curse. A bit of consideration goes a long way, not everyone wants to listen to others' private conversations. Me for one.
Sitting in campsite toilet cubicle recently, I hear 'hello' from next door. Being helpful & thinking maybe loo paper had run out I had drawn breath to reply when the full conversation started.
Really??
Nothing like multi-tasking!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I assume that you would be okay with loud music playing near you whilst you siesta.
No I think that is a different matter, it usually goes on for longer, is louder than voices and quite selfish behaviour, I don't class people talking to each other as selfish

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
No I think that is a different matter, it usually goes on for longer, is louder than voices and quite selfish behaviour, I don't class people talking to each other as selfish
I would class loud talking as inconsiderate, but only if they knew you were resting nearby.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You remember how those kids on the Apprentice would go around with their phone held out in front of them and on speaker. You could understand it because the producers wanted to hear both sides of the lame conversations.

Well, I notice more and more youngsters are doing this in real life, I mentioned it the other day and Katie informed me that, its all to do with EMF and cancer that youngsters are worried about. Increasing numbers of them are refusing to use Bluetooth in their ears, so are going back to wired buds or putting calls on speaker. So that Apprentice style, with the phone out front and loud is becoming more popular.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Totally agree. Currently sat in a coffee shop having listened to something on my headphones. A person has come in who is listening to something on speaker and I could hear it even with my headphones on. As I was about to mention it someone else did so. I was happy to back him up had he resisted, I wouldn’t have been as polite as the guy requesting it was.
When did this pig ignorance start?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You remember how those kids on the Apprentice would go around with their phone held out in front of them and on speaker. You could understand it because the producers wanted to hear both sides of the lame conversations.

Well, I notice more and more youngsters are doing this in real life, I mentioned it the other day and Katie informed me that, its all to do with EMF and cancer that youngsters are worried about. Increasing numbers of them are refusing to use Bluetooth in their ears, so are going back to wired buds or putting calls on speaker. So that Apprentice style, with the phone out front and loud is becoming more popular.
Last time I read about phones and cancer was about 10 years ago when it was said with 20 years usage, cases of tumors would be emerging by now. And it's 30 years now 😏

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
I haven’t found a study linking phones to cancer. The National Cancer Institute has specifically said there’s been no indications that incidence of brain or neurological cancers have increased due to use of mobile phones. Personally I think many people are just getting more ignorant. ‘I can therefore I will’ regardless. 🤷‍♂️

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Personally I think many people are just getting more ignorant. ‘I can therefore I will’ regardless.

I do not disagree but I do wonder, if it like the language used, it's not really more ignorance just a big change in what is accepted as normal?

Think back to you and your parents?

Mine thought that being able to afford/want a car as a teenager was beyond the pale.

Owning your own home was something for senior white collar workers.

Don't even think about sex before marriage!

Standards have moved, maybe we need to accept the change?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back