Smart e SIM in a Huawei router? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Honest Mobile are trialing a new esim for data only that can use all Four of the big networks!
Does anyone know if a Huawei e5577 can support esim? App useless until I get to visit the RV again.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Honest Mobile are trialing a new esim for data only that can use all Four of the big networks!
Does anyone know if a Huawei e5577 can support esim? App useless until I get to visit the RV again.
I wouldn't have thought so, you can buy ones that can but not the usual suspects.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I don't think any routers support eSIMs yet. Most routers with as mobile modem don't tend to switch networks or head abroad, so the functionality isn't needed. Motorhomers are a small market, so we're unusual customers. It would also add a lot of complexity to the router, and the control interface in the average router isn't particularly user friendly as it is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
It would be interesting to try their beta esim I was offered that can use 4 networks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Our e5577cs doesn't support eSIMs.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
I don't think any routers support eSIMs yet. Most routers with as mobile modem don't tend to switch networks or head abroad, so the functionality isn't needed. Motorhomers are a small market, so we're unusual customers. It would also add a lot of complexity to the router, and the control interface in the average router isn't particularly user friendly as it is.
Pepwave routers support eSIMs

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Scancom do a pre loaded multi network data esim and psychical sim.

Hellish expensive compared to the beta test esim at Honest. £5 a month for the test period!
Unlimited. (3G after 300Gb or something like that).

I am going to at least trial it in my phone.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Only issue I can see with this Honest eSIM is that it will only work with some apps. “Smart SIM currently works with WhatsApp, Google Maps, Uber, Citymapper, Monzo and Revolut. We’ll be releasing more apps, so stay tuned”

However roaming across all the networks in UK however is very useful. It seems this would be useful to get best possible chance to have the apps listed available everywhere.

I agree Scancom seems very expensive, what am I missing?

I get an unlimited data eSIM only when I need it: Have a look at :
Airhub - unlimited data for 30 days across whole of Europe for $44 seems to work well, it’s not clear exactly which networks is can connect to but my experience has been good.
Yesim - unlimited data €54 for 30 days across Europe and they are clear which networks you get access to so definitely do cover all UK networks.

Hope this is helpful!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back