Small "silent" generator.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Possibly looking to purchase one of these things but know nothing about them or their ability to produce power.
Any advice please.
Thinking along the lines of the Honda suitcase type?
Thanks.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I was impressed with one that looked like this that a pal had at a recent motorbike rally mainly for an hour or perhaps two at teatime for charging the battery in his PVC with a compressor fridge.. It wasn't at all obtrusive - just purred, 20 feet away at the hedgerow. He was already carrying spare petrol for his motorbike so fuel no problem.

1729343351766.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I was impressed with one that looked like this that a pal had at a recent motorbike rally. It wasn't at all obtrusive - just purred, 20 feet away at the hedgerow.

View attachment 967328
Power output?
Just looked on ebay and the 22 part of the name refers to 2.2kw
That seems very cheap for this model.
The Eu10i is a 1kw and retails around this price.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Power output?
I'm guessing about 1Kw.
1729343779996.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I'm aware that gennies are regarded as anti-social...but they are not....it's the owners that are anti-social.... we've had one since 1996...a Honda 2T...it purs away and I've been know to check up to see if it's still running...even as it's 2T...a full 25 metre away ..silent...
Actually we don't use it anymore....what with solar and Lithium it's resting quietly

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
We've a semi-retired Eu10i converted to lpg*. It's worth it if you go places that are remote and in winter. As we did, but times have moved on. We have used it around others, without complaint - a folding table on it's side is a surprisingly effective sound baffle/reflector.
For me, it had to be a Honda.
Subjectively it runs quieter than on petrol.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
Having sold them for many years and run on gas they’re still an irritant to other people no matter what I even tried on boarded Telaco equally irritating so unless your on your own it’s best not to run one.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
When checking on noise bear in mind that when ticking over they can be very quiet.
The maximum noise is when they are under full load.
A 1kw Honda , although one of the quietest around may be quite noisy for quite long periods if being used close to maximum out put.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
I have one.

Silent they are not.

Reasonably quiet (once warmed up) is more like it, but they can and will get on people's nerves if you're close to them and are running them for prolonged periods. You can mitigate this by building boxes for them to sit in, but the exhaust ultimately needs to point out somewhere and that's the bit that you can't do much to silence.

All depends on your needs and your use case, but these days I'd probably be looking at a 'power station' (bluetti, ecoflow, etc) if I needed some 240v power while stuck in a field for a bit. Now they really are silent!

I used to use mine to power a fridge for outdoor catering and it would happily tick over for about 6h on one tank full of petrol and was only noisy for the first 20 mins or so. After that it still made a noise buy you could be stood right next to it and have a conversation at normal volume without any issue. It's just one of those constant drone noises that can be annoying after a while and that would probably be disturbing if you were trying to sleep.

As for putting out power, well, they do that pretty well. Just pick one that puts out the power that you need and if you're running something like a fridge that will have a surge of power on startup then check that it has surge capacity (or is rated higher than your max surge)

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Honda are quitest but will still annoy the neighbours.

Not if I was your neighbour...

A purring Honda is fine by me.

Country and Western music or a Ukulele Band... now that would annoy me.

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Possibly looking to purchase one of these things but know nothing about them or their ability to produce power.
Any advice please.
Thinking along the lines of the Honda suitcase type?
Thanks.
A silent generator is an oxymoron

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Honda are quitest but will still annoy the neighbours.
But I am looking at using this at an event next year where almost all folks attending will be using some form of generator, so annoyance levels are likely to be accepted.

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Is that a brand or expletive? :ROFLMAO:
Surprised you need to ask!

Having been on a site where a generator was "purring" away some 70 yards away thankfully was shut off before sleep time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
I was impressed with one that looked like this that a pal had at a recent motorbike rally mainly for an hour or perhaps two at teatime for charging the battery in his PVC with a compressor fridge.. It wasn't at all obtrusive - just purred, 20 feet away at the hedgerow. He was already carrying spare petrol for his motorbike so fuel no problem.

View attachment 967328
Have seen this model and been impressed by it's ability.
And could be useful at home IF we may get power cuts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
I'm aware that gennies are regarded as anti-social...but they are not....it's the owners that are anti-social.... we've had one since 1996...a Honda 2T...it purs away and I've been know to check up to see if it's still running...even as it's 2T...a full 25 metre away ..silent...
Actually we don't use it anymore....what with solar and Lithium it's resting quietly
Don't have Solar or Lithium so this is why I posted the question.
Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
We've a semi-retired Eu10i converted to lpg*. It's worth it if you go places that are remote and in winter. As we did, but times have moved on. We have used it around others, without complaint - a folding table on it's side is a surprisingly effective sound baffle/reflector.
For me, it had to be a Honda.
Subjectively it runs quieter than on petrol.
So runs quieter on LPG?
Interesting.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Whatever happened to Efoy for charging batteries. Totally silent and can be bought at the right money 2nd hand?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Whatever happened to Efoy for charging batteries. Totally silent and can be bought at the right money 2nd hand?
I was looking more for a generator to produce 240v directly rather than one to charge just the 12v batteries.
If I can get 240v in then the on board charger can charge the 12v. Or if its summer, a portable solar panel could do the 12v side of things.
I am trying to get 240v for 240v stuff without using an inverter from a 12v supply.
Maybe I have got things wrong though.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back