Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Hi all.
Firstly, this question isn't about towing/A Frame legalities in Britain and abroad. Also, I don't really want to discuss why we need a small car. We just do, because we have two disabled boys, who can't travel in taxis, or buses but love to get out and about. We also use our motorhome differently from many on here, and like to set it up to not move. And finally, yes we had a caravan for three years, loved it, but it simply didn't get used more than twice a year, whereas the bus is out six or seven times a year.

Years ago, we had a Suzuki Ignis on an A Frame. Didn't work and we destroyed the engine. We then got a twin axle Woodford trailer, which we used for three years. Problem is that the trailer is unmovable with a car on it, being twin axle, so you have to hitch the trailer and then drive the car on. And the racket those damn ramps make made us very unpopular if we had an early start.

So we sacked the trailer and went without a little car for the last two years.

This year, we decided for several reasons that we wanted to start bringing the Suzuki Ignis again. We want a tilt bed, rather than heavy ramps. Need 1500kg as the Ignis weighs about 900kg. Trailer bed length needs to be about 3600mm. And I feel that a single axle will suffice. I have researched and can only find the three following which fit the bill:
  • Margab (Temared Car Flat 1500)
  • Lider (39770)
  • Woodford (STT-020)
If anyone knows of any others that might fit the criteria, that would be incredibly helpful.

Anyway, to anyone else who tows a single axle car trailer, I have a couple of questions.

1. Can you move, by hand, a single axle trailer with the car on it? We couldn't do it with a twin axle, but is a single easier?
2. Has anyone ever successfully fitted a mover to a single axle, tilt bed, trailer, linked to the car's own battery?
3. Has anyone ever tried these electric jockey wheel movers? They get indifferent reviews, but the opinions of the folk on here carries more weight for me, than a bunch of strangers.
4. Are there any issues with single axle car transporters that I probably won't be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I don’t know what other trailers are available but I would be inclined to A Frame the car for the easiest overall solution. Trailers take up extra space and are a thief’s dream find unless you fit several kg’s of security every time you leave it.
If moving a loaded trailer is essential, fitting a motor mover will be a good idea. Jockey wheel movers though are not a great solution as the weight needed on the jockey wheel for traction will work against sinking on soft ground.
Reference the power from the car’s own battery, while being possible with decent cables and plugs, the risk is that the car electrical system could be compromised if the loads are higher than expected especially as the engine will possibly need to be running to avoid flattening the battery.
A battery box on the trailer split charged from the motorhome would be a better idea and not risk damage to the car.
I would also fit a towbar on the car suitable to manoeuvre the trailer off the public road especially as some sites have dedicated trailer/boat parking some way from the pitches.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Make a call to Ifor Williams and Bateson.
Their trailers are bullet proof, which is why they are found on farms all over Europe.

I run a Scout section, we have about a dozen trailers, box trailers, canoe trailers, small load trailers etc.
Our chosen brands are Ifor Williams and Bateson

Over the years we have had trailers from many others, they all eventually break, except the Ifor Williams and Bateson trailers.

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Phoenix trailers in Bridgenorth will build their trailers to any size you want. They will also fit motor movers. They don’t do tilt beds but they will do full width loading ramps instead of ordinary ramps. (See link below).

I’ve just bought a used one to transport a Can Am Spyder. It’s single axle with a motor mover and seems solid enough. The full width loading ramp is much easier and quieter than ramps you have to manhandle.

The link below is a Smart car trailer but they will make the bed longer if needed.

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Easy enough to move a single axle trailer when empty. You can turn it by hand on the spot. Loaded, it’s obviously much harder work. Motor movers are expensive but probably worth it for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Make a call to Ifor Williams and Bateson.
Their trailers are bullet proof, which is why they are found on farms all over Europe.

I run a Scout section, we have about a dozen trailers, box trailers, canoe trailers, small load trailers etc.
Our chosen brands are Ifor Williams and Bateson

Over the years we have had trailers from many others, they all eventually break, except the Ifor Williams and Bateson trailers.

Cheers, I know, but they don't do single axle tiltbeds.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Phoenix trailers in Bridgenorth will build their trailers to any size you want. They will also fit motor movers. They don’t do tilt beds but they will do full width loading ramps instead of ordinary ramps. (See link below).

I’ve just bought a used one to transport a Can Am Spyder. It’s single axle with a motor mover and seems solid enough. The full width loading ramp is much easier and quieter than ramps you have to manhandle.

The link below is a Smart car trailer but they will make the bed longer if needed.

Thansk, I did look at Phoenix, but as you say, they don't do a tiltbed, which is what we need. However, the fact that they have a hinged beaver tail AND motor mover will make me look again!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I don’t know what other trailers are available but I would be inclined to A Frame the car for the easiest overall solution. Trailers take up extra space and are a thief’s dream find unless you fit several kg’s of security every time you leave it.

I have had an A Frame and would never have another, because the car we want to use can't be flat towed as it has a wet clutch and you can't use an A Frame in Europe which is where we mostly tour.

If moving a loaded trailer is essential, fitting a motor mover will be a good idea. Jockey wheel movers though are not a great solution as the weight needed on the jockey wheel for traction will work against sinking on soft ground.
Reference the power from the car’s own battery, while being possible with decent cables and plugs, the risk is that the car electrical system could be compromised if the loads are higher than expected especially as the engine will possibly need to be running to avoid flattening the battery.
A battery box on the trailer split charged from the motorhome would be a better idea and not risk damage to the car.
I would also fit a towbar on the car suitable to manoeuvre the trailer off the public road especially as some sites have dedicated trailer/boat parking some way from the pitches.

I have heard quite a few people agreeing with you on jockey wheel movers.
Good point about using the car battery. Yes a separate battery box, fired up from the 13 pin would work better.
Our Suzuki Ignis already has a towbar fitted.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Cheers, I know, but they don't do single axle tiltbeds.
Ask them!

https://www.batesontrailers.com/product-category/bespoke-trailers/
Both companies make trailers to order.

I suspect the issue is weight and brakes.
Any trailer their weighs over 750kg loaded has to have brakes.

Given the small size of trailer wheels, most (all ??) trailers fitted with brakes, and therefore able to take over 750kg, will be double axle.

Moving a loaded double axle trailer with one person is possible on flat tarmac, but really takes 2-3 people on grass.
As you say, a caravan motor mover would solve the problem.

Also remember if you fit a towball to the TOAD car, you can move the empty trailer around easily.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
1. Can you move, by hand, a single axle trailer with the car on it? We couldn't do it with a twin axle, but is a single easier?
I wouldn't even try?Recipe for disaster.
If you are relying on the jockey wheel it will mean you have to much nose weight & if positioned correctly then as soon as you unhook it will tip backwards.

4. Are there any issues with single axle car transporters that I probably won't be aware of?
Yes puncture on one & it will usually go over if heavily loaded.
That 's why I only ever but twin axle . Fit motor movers to one of them & they move easily

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have a woodford single axle trailer fitted with motormover and lithium battery between the a frame at front. You cannot move these trailers with a car on it they are just too heavy. We use ours with a Toyota aygo. The trailer is 1500kg so just scrapes under. Used this all over Europe and the UK with no issues. It's not a tilt though but the ramps slide out from within the frame on each side so easy enough to do and you can load a car on or off hitch. If off hitch there are kick stands on each side that support it. In an emergency I fitted a tow bar to the aygo originally for a bike rack but it will easily move an empty trailer around if need be but we have never needed to use this with the motor mover

Also fitted to the trailer are tyre sensors just in case and I always carry 2 spare wheels.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I wouldn't even try?Recipe for disaster.
If you are relying on the jockey wheel it will mean you have to much nose weight & if positioned correctly then as soon as you unhook it will tip backwards.

Yes puncture on one & it will usually go over if heavily loaded.
That 's why I only ever but twin axle . Fit motor movers to one of them & they move easily

Cheers Gus, I have sacked any idea of the jockey wheel mover. Few people seem to rate them.

I won't be going back to a twin axle trailer. Too heavy and I am too old and decrepit to piddle about with those heavy ramps. I have towed a single axle cargo trailer for the last two years, with Tyrepal sensors fitted. I've seen single axles on trailers and caravans that are way more than 1500kg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I have a woodford single axle trailer fitted with motormover and lithium battery between the a frame at front. You cannot move these trailers with a car on it they are just too heavy. We use ours with a Toyota aygo. The trailer is 1500kg so just scrapes under. Used this all over Europe and the UK with no issues. It's not a tilt though but the ramps slide out from within the frame on each side so easy enough to do and you can load a car on or off hitch. If off hitch there are kick stands on each side that support it. In an emergency I fitted a tow bar to the aygo originally for a bike rack but it will easily move an empty trailer around if need be but we have never needed to use this with the motor mover

Also fitted to the trailer are tyre sensors just in case and I always carry 2 spare wheels.

Thanks, but I really need a tilt bed, or beaver tail. I found the pull out ramps on my old Woodford, heavy, noisy and a total pain in the rear. Like you I use tyrepal on the trailer wheels, and the Suzuki has a towball and 13pin electrics fitted.

Reactions: zac
Upvote 0
Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
Another for Phoenix

I have a Phoenix twin, total combined weight is 2000kgbut lightest trailer we have had to push in and out of the drive.

Their single axles must be even lighter and more manoeuvrable. I know other rallying friends have them with motor movers fitted to help move around.

IMG_6466.jpeg

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I have just bought a used Phoenix trailer for a Smart car, it’s the single axle one with the full width ramps that drop down, it’s 1300kg gross weight so carries around 950kg which is enough for me. It’s also fairly easy to move around as well.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back