Small automatic car that can be flat towed (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Burford
Exp
since 2016
I also believe Smart Cars are OK to be flat towed, as they are really manual gearbox with electronic operation.

Geoff
The latest Smart cars with double clutch automatics cannot be flat towed.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If you really want to tow your slushbox auto, RV owners in the US fit 12v oil pumps to circulate the oil to keep the trans from cooking.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
A brand new small car trailer will cost you about twice the cost of an A frame,
But there are plenty second hand.
They also have 30+ year life if looked after, and longer still if stored inside.
They need a storage space, and folding car trailers are few.
It's easy to swap them for each new car you buy, no conversion needed for the car.
They can also carry other things like the motorbike, stuff for the dump, boxes, small boats and large furniture
They are legal, no questions asked, all over Europe.
A trailer can be reversed 100m back up a Cornish Lane (not that I would like to attempt it)

An A Frame on the other hand:
Is smaller to store.
Needs some serious work to be done to the front of the vehicle to fit the A frame.
Arguably devalues the car, unless the new buyer is specifically looking for an A frame fitted car.
You then have to go through the same process of fitting the A frame to the new car.
A frames are basically illegal outside the UK, and that is enforced in certain countries such as Spain. (Whatever LNB say)
A frame car 'trailer' can not be reversed, or if you can it might be a couple of meters.

Personally a trailer has way more pros than cons over an A frame.
The only advantage I can see for an A frame vs a trailer is storage space.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
My wife is thinking of buying a new car to replace her 17 year old Skoda Fabia VRS. We are wondering if we should aim for one that can be flat towed behind the motorhome. Any thoughts on a smallish automatic that is good for flat towing? I think electric cars are a non-starter as I do not think they can be flat towed. I am assuming that conventional automatics can be flat towed in neutral. Is that correct?

Martin
We have towed Smarts all over UK and Europe. Smart4Two if you can find a good low mileage model pre the bump in front (2015). Go for a cabriolet if possible. Never had a problem. See lots of Fiats being flat towed but not sure if they are automatic.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
We have towed Smarts all over UK and Europe. Smart4Two if you can find a good low mileage model pre the bump in front (2015). Go for a cabriolet if possible. Never had a problem. See lots of Fiats being flat towed but not sure if they are automatic.
Should have added that although reversing is not possible, once you have done it a few times, disconnecting and re-connecting after turning is a piece of cake.
In Spain you are not legally allowed to tow any car, even for recovery to a garage, so the cops can easily have you but if it's a hot day they might adopt the Nelson approach.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2016
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
7 years
A frames can be reversed, if you are a competent driver abd have rear camera's. It's not easy and MUST be done at low speed. I'm almost 80 and I can still do it.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
If you really want to tow your slushbox auto, RV owners in the US fit 12v oil pumps to circulate the oil to keep the trans from cooking.
I've got the very thing fitted but no idea where connected at the rear as no sign of pipes but someone paid for Auxillary Oil Pump System....

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got the very thing fitted but no idea where connected at the rear as no sign of pipes but someone paid for Auxillary Oil Pump System....
I think it's just an electric pump that gets added to the car's transmission cooling loop. So when it's hooked up to the back of the RV, the RV powers the pump.

Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne
Towing with an A frame is fine in the UK. But in most of Europe, isn't it technically illegal?
If the A frame is attached to the brakes and lights in side the tow car
I have been toeing in Europe for the past ten years never stoped ,they have drove past and check that is is attached to the lights and brakes

mikesue32

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Cambridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner TL680G
Exp
Since 2019 but before in Australia and NZ. Not used it yet in Europe. Previous keen caravanner.
Can the car be towed? - the real answer is to phone an A-frame company and ask. Towbars2Towcars are fabulously helpful and their A frames are good too.
Legal in Europe? The A frame companies will say "Yes, due to Geneva convention" but practically you can easily be stopped, fined and told to disconnect. The caravan/motorhome clubs just say "No"

Kevin R

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Germany
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler Glendale
Exp
Since 2002
My wife is thinking of buying a new car to replace her 17 year old Skoda Fabia VRS. We are wondering if we should aim for one that can be flat towed behind the motorhome. Any thoughts on a smallish automatic that is good for flat towing? I think electric cars are a non-starter as I do not think they can be flat towed. I am assuming that conventional automatics can be flat towed in neutral. Is that correct?

Martin
Beware that it’s illegal to flat tow in most if not all countries in Europe, also front wheel dollies are also illegal in most countries. Tow your toad on a trailer to avoid any hassel.

Kevin R

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Germany
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler Glendale
Exp
Since 2002
Can the car be towed? - the real answer is to phone an A-frame company and ask. Towbars2Towcars are fabulously helpful and their A frames are good too.
Legal in Europe? The A frame companies will say "Yes, due to Geneva convention" but practically you can easily be stopped, fined and told to disconnect. The caravan/motorhome clubs just say "No"
An A frame is illegal in a few countries. In Germany you may be forced to unhitch the toad as well as a hefty fine. For peace of mind, put your toad on a trailer.

Mar 19, 2022
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus ski ti
Exp
I’m a newbie
Kevin,

The answer is yes. The Aygo has a 'dry' automated gearbox, and can be towed (do not tow with a 'wet' automated manual). The dry ones are the Aygo, Citroen C1, Pug 108 (all from the same stable) and the Fiat 500.

We towed an Aygo automated manual (also known as semi-automatic) behind our last motorhome for about 4 years. Conversion done by TB2TC at Grimsby. Never a problem.

View attachment 915401
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking I’d have to get a trailer but this would be a much better option.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
An A frame is illegal in a few countries. In Germany you may be forced to unhitch the toad as well as a hefty fine. For peace of mind, put your toad on a trailer.
Do we know of anyone that has been stopped and made to unhitch? Would love a real example of someone was unfortunate to be caught?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No, because adding a A Frame turns the car legally into a trailer, and they're not illegal to tow in the EU.
From LNB Towbars...

Is My Towcar Legal In Europe?

Some European countries have local laws that state you may not tow a motor vehicle
with another motor vehicle unless you are driving an authorised breakdown recovery vehicle.
  1. You will not be towing a motor vehicle. You will be towing a car that is converted to a trailer. That complies with all European trailer legislation. That is identified as a trailer by the reflective triangles, the towing vehicle’s number plate, the brakes operated solely by braking in the towing vehicle, and the lights duplicating that of the towing vehicle.
  2. Local laws (not European laws) apply if you are a resident and have lived there greater than six months, or if your vehicle is registered in that country. In which case A-frame towing would be illegal.
  3. If you are travelling/holidaying for less than six months in that country then: no state has the power to reclassify a vehicle travelling from another state. As a visitor from another state you are legal under the powers of international traffic as defined in the Vienna convention, as long as your combination of vehicles are legal in your home country.
  4. Your local police officer may not be familiar with international traffic and far more familiar with their local laws, and as such it is possible you may get stopped. This is why we provide translated documents explaining what you are towing and its legality, to produce if needed. The reality is that far fewer people are stopped than is suggested by word-of-mouth and internet posts. And often the people that are stopped are either not compliant and therefore rightly stopped, or are stopped for some other reason.
  5. Despite installing hundreds of A-frames each year, we have only a couple of our customers being stopped abroad. One situation was because they had a brake light out on their towcar. After the light was sorted and the police officer was shown the braking system working, they were permitted to continue without a problem. Another was the Mont Blanc Tunnel, which upon presentation of their provided international traffic documentation, the towcar was permitted to continue. The truth is we get far more reports of successful trips passing numerous authorities without being stopped. The law is on your side if you do things properly. As a holidaymaker staying less than six months in a European country YOU ARE LEGAL provided your A-frame system complies with the required trailer legislation to be legal in UK.
It's illegal to tow a motor vehicle with a motor vehicle, for certain in Spain ans allegedly in France.
Only in the UK is it classed as a trailer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do we know of anyone that has been stopped and made to unhitch? Would love a real example of someone was unfortunate to be caught?
Yes, at least one funster, although I think there was another one and possibly more, have had this happen to them, if I remember the forum name I'll tag them.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Martin funflair I believe knew someone who had been stopped and forced to unhitch. I've tagged him in so he may be able to provide more information.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin funflair I believe knew someone who had been stopped and forced to unhitch. I've tagged him in so he may be able to provide more information.
Yes indeed I do (y) and they told me of somebody elsewho had to but I don't know them personally.

Kevin R

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Germany
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler Glendale
Exp
Since 2002
I’m based in Germany and towed a small car on a four wheeled trailer after checking with authorities. Although I haven’t met any drivers from UK or the Netherlands, I’ve read some German news articles where foreign drivers have been stopped. However, since adding to this post, I’ve seen an ADAC recovery vehicle towing a vehicle with the front wheels lifted.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
However, since adding to this post, I’ve seen an ADAC recovery vehicle towing a vehicle with the front wheels lifted.
That is permitted as they are a registered and authorised recovery service, private individuals are excluded.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back