Small automatic car that can be flat towed (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
My wife is thinking of buying a new car to replace her 17 year old Skoda Fabia VRS. We are wondering if we should aim for one that can be flat towed behind the motorhome. Any thoughts on a smallish automatic that is good for flat towing? I think electric cars are a non-starter as I do not think they can be flat towed. I am assuming that conventional automatics can be flat towed in neutral. Is that correct?

Martin

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I also believe Smart Cars are OK to be flat towed, as they are really manual gearbox with electronic operation.

Geoff

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
My 2016 was certainly OK, obviously not sure about latest versions. Great little pocket rocket, wish I still owned it.

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I also believe Smart Cars are OK to be flat towed, as they are really manual gearbox with electronic operation.

Geoff
Not the later ones I think Minxy knows which ones.
AFAIK the older style ones are okay so long as they are correctly set-up (ignition in correct position etc) so as not to cause issues, as for the newer style ones, some say you can other says not, whether this depends on pure manual or semi-auto/auto I'm not sure as it's not something I'd ever do anyway so have never delved into it in any detail. There have been threads on the forum though about towing the new style one so a search may find them.

Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
From what I understand the only safe to tow smart is a 451 the others will tow its not recommended

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 19, 2022
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus ski ti
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi
We have a 2021 Aygo automatic. Can it be fitted with an A frame and towed for UK use?

Thanks in advance.
Kev

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
As pappajohn said, traditional autos with a torque converter need the engine running to keep the oil circulating to prevent it cooking when towed.

What about CVTs and DSGs?

Jun 14, 2024
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 599
We have been using a VW up auto for the last 4 years
IMG_1146.jpeg

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
There are now a number of micro cars on the market, and more are arriving every year.
Like most new vehicles, they are all EV's

There are also an increasing number of companies producing trailers for small EV's some of which fold flat for storage

As my next new car is liable to be a small or micro EV, I'm seriously going to be looking at a matching folding trailer for it so we can take it with us.

Sep 22, 2020
Beaumont-cum-Moze
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford
Exp
A class American RVs and C class over 50 years
My wife is thinking of buying a new car to replace her 17 year old Skoda Fabia VRS. We are wondering if we should aim for one that can be flat towed behind the motorhome. Any thoughts on a smallish automatic that is good for flat towing? I think electric cars are a non-starter as I do not think they can be flat towed. I am assuming that conventional automatics can be flat towed in neutral. Is that correct?

Martin
Normal Aytomatics can not be towed full stop,The likes of the Toyota Aygo have an automatic clutch.and can be towed,I have one and iI have towed it several thousand miles,The only thing is you must make sure it is in neutral if not when you tow it it will spin your engine and probably destroy it.Several people have done that.just be very careful.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
There are now a number of micro cars on the market, and more are arriving every year.
Like most new vehicles, they are all EV's

There are also an increasing number of companies producing trailers for small EV's some of which fold flat for storage

As my next new car is liable to be a small or micro EV, I'm seriously going to be looking at a matching folding trailer for it so we can take it with us.
FYI:
A pair of Harley's (250 to 400 kg, each) are heavier and bigger than one EV microcar such as the Microlino (600kg)
So I'd have thought it would not take a lot for the manufacturers of folding motorbike trailers to adapt the bed to (also?) take a micro car.

It looks like an untapped market at the moment.

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Suzuki Ignis, CVT but great little car. We tow it on a trailer, and it can also take a tow bar.

Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring XL
Exp
Since 2012
To resurrect a 3 year old thread:

By default most automatics can't be flat towed.
I think the Aygo the OP is asking about, and which he already owns, is apparently already being flat towed by other funsters in automatic form.

Dec 17, 2013
Littlehampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo A698g
Exp
Since 2010
Towing with an A frame is fine in the UK. But in most of Europe, isn't it technically illegal?
No, because adding a A Frame turns the car legally into a trailer, and they're not illegal to tow in the EU.
From LNB Towbars...

Is My Towcar Legal In Europe?

Some European countries have local laws that state you may not tow a motor vehicle
with another motor vehicle unless you are driving an authorised breakdown recovery vehicle.
  1. You will not be towing a motor vehicle. You will be towing a car that is converted to a trailer. That complies with all European trailer legislation. That is identified as a trailer by the reflective triangles, the towing vehicle’s number plate, the brakes operated solely by braking in the towing vehicle, and the lights duplicating that of the towing vehicle.
  2. Local laws (not European laws) apply if you are a resident and have lived there greater than six months, or if your vehicle is registered in that country. In which case A-frame towing would be illegal.
  3. If you are travelling/holidaying for less than six months in that country then: no state has the power to reclassify a vehicle travelling from another state. As a visitor from another state you are legal under the powers of international traffic as defined in the Vienna convention, as long as your combination of vehicles are legal in your home country.
  4. Your local police officer may not be familiar with international traffic and far more familiar with their local laws, and as such it is possible you may get stopped. This is why we provide translated documents explaining what you are towing and its legality, to produce if needed. The reality is that far fewer people are stopped than is suggested by word-of-mouth and internet posts. And often the people that are stopped are either not compliant and therefore rightly stopped, or are stopped for some other reason.
  5. Despite installing hundreds of A-frames each year, we have only a couple of our customers being stopped abroad. One situation was because they had a brake light out on their towcar. After the light was sorted and the police officer was shown the braking system working, they were permitted to continue without a problem. Another was the Mont Blanc Tunnel, which upon presentation of their provided international traffic documentation, the towcar was permitted to continue. The truth is we get far more reports of successful trips passing numerous authorities without being stopped. The law is on your side if you do things properly. As a holidaymaker staying less than six months in a European country YOU ARE LEGAL provided your A-frame system complies with the required trailer legislation to be legal in UK.

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Hi
We have a 2021 Aygo automatic. Can it be fitted with an A frame and towed for UK use?

Thanks in advance.
Kev

Kevin,

The answer is yes. The Aygo has a 'dry' automated gearbox, and can be towed (do not tow with a 'wet' automated manual). The dry ones are the Aygo, Citroen C1, Pug 108 (all from the same stable) and the Fiat 500.

We towed an Aygo automated manual (also known as semi-automatic) behind our last motorhome for about 4 years. Conversion done by TB2TC at Grimsby. Never a problem.

PXL_20230515_093109640 (1).jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No, because adding a A Frame turns the car legally into a trailer, and they're not illegal to tow in the EU.
From LNB Towbars...

Is My Towcar Legal In Europe?

The popcorn emoji is for LNB not you, they've been spouting that for years but it doesn't wash in mainland Europe, you cannot tow another motorised vehicle with another in many of the countries regardless of what LNB say.

May 11, 2020
Chipping Norton
Funster No
MH
Phoenix Liner +Smart
Exp
since 1985
Have towed my Toyota Aygo thousands of miles without any problems because it has the MMT gearbox which was stopped in 2021. There are some good low mileage ones about in the 2020 vintage.
BW Gover

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I have a semi automatic citiego no intentions of towing but it is lovely to drive and surprisingly easily fits 4 adults they are like hens teeth though and a few dodgy ones about

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back