Sky+HD box in motorhome (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
I have the above fitted in motorhome and have just cancelled my sky subscription, according to sky, the box (they don't want it back) can be used as a free digital receiver.
Has anyone done this and did the record feature and epg still work?

Graydo

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Thanks, are humax still going.
Thought they had stopped selling satellite receivers.
Anyone got any thoughts on the freesat recordable ones (as opposed to free to view).

Graydo

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Humax ceased production of Freesat boxes a few years ago. I think they still make Freeview boxes.
There is only one Freesat recordable box these days the so called "4k" box (with no 4k content apart from on iPlayer, Youtube, and Amazon), made by Freesat themselves (or by Arris, on behalf of Freesat).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

They will be able to provide you with whatever you need ......

May 19, 2018
Funster No
I would steer clear of the Arris Freesat box. Lots of problems with mine and the support was terrible and long winded. I eventually went for an Octagon SF8008 with the optional Freesat set up. Basically they pre-program the box with the channels you want in the correct order. Very satisfied and if you're that way inclined you can do so much more with it. The latest model has space for an internal hard drive for recording. Unless you have a dual lnb on the van it's not really worth getting a twin tuner version.
All in all, not bad for £130.

The only possible downside is that the extended epg is downloaded so the box does really need an Internet connection.
As posted above, go to world of satellite.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We used to have Humax HD Freesat, but now have a Freesat (Arris) box at home. It has been great. There’s a 2tB HDD and we receive HD on all main channels. The only issue we ever have (and had with the Humax box too) is nothing to do with the boxes themselves. If there’s particularly heavy rain coming from the South, the reception can be interrupted, as the dish can’t see the satellite signal as well. This is always temporary though.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I would steer clear of the Arris Freesat box. Lots of problems with mine and the support was terrible and long winded
Only main issue I have had with some is hard drive failures...not helped by people here in Spain putting electronics like TV and sat receivers where they can get the sun on them...things dont like being cooked by the sun! But changing hard drives takes less than 5 mins... And the current firmware is a lot better now than what it was when it was released... only downside of them is no easy changing to "non freesat mode" which was simple to do on other freesat boxes...

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
I would steer clear of the Arris Freesat box. Lots of problems with mine and the support was terrible and long winded. I eventually went for an Octagon SF8008 with the optional Freesat set up. Basically they pre-program the box with the channels you want in the correct order. Very satisfied and if you're that way inclined you can do so much more with it. The latest model has space for an internal hard drive for recording. Unless you have a dual lnb on the van it's not really worth getting a twin tuner version.
All in all, not bad for £130.

The only possible downside is that the extended epg is downloaded so the box does really need an Internet connection.
As posted above, go to world of satellite.
Does it require a constant internet connection for the epg or just at startup to update.
Also is the M2 slot for an ssd or hard drive.
I would be tempted to record on an sd card looking at the connections.on the back
I like the look of the octagon but was wondering if it was any smaller than a sky+hd box..

Graydo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
P.s can you pause and rewind live tv with the octagon (and a hard/ssd drive obviously)

Graydo

May 19, 2018
Funster No
P.s can you pause and rewind live tv with the octagon (and a hard/ssd drive obviously)

Graydo
Yes.
Also, the epg download can be set to happen automatically with an interval between 3 to 24 hours.
There really are lots of available settings in the device, so it's best to gradually play with things one at a time until you're happy. You can easily back up and restore the settings.
The m2 slot is for a specific internal type of ssd, usually a lot faster than peripheral devices. There are different physical sizes, so check which is needed before purchase.
For example :

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Thanks,
would probably go for the 30 quid 500gb fitted option.
I see it is also offered with a pre configured channel list in a particular geographical location, I take it you can over ride this if you are travelling in the motorhome.

Saving settings may be a useful function.

Graydo

May 19, 2018
Funster No
Thanks,
would probably go for the 30 quid 500gb fitted option.
I see it is also offered with a pre configured channel list in a particular geographical location, I take it you can over ride this if you are travelling in the motorhome.

Saving settings may be a useful function.

Graydo
The 500gb option is an external usb drive.
You can change the preset channels but it would mean scanning the whole lot again. To be honest, unless you want to deliberately want to watch the local regions news then there's not much point. They all play the same programs whichever region you're in.
To be honest, I'm using the octagon 8008 at home. I have a simple octagon 88sx in the van. I'm not worried about regions or recording when I'm away. The only issue is when they periodically change the transponder frequencies and the box need scanning from scratch. This mucks up any favourites list. But an hour of messing around gets it back to the way I want it. Only about £65 for that one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back